Handcuff Advice

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
freddylocks

Handcuff Advice

Post by freddylocks »

I am sure we have all done it at some point or other... this weekend was my turn...

On Friday I was looking through the toys to pack a bag for a weekend in a hotel. I came across the handcuffs and did a brief mental check remembering where the keys were (in a rucksack type laptop bag next to my desk!). I put them to one side ready to go get the keys.

So, I then go ahead and pack the toybag for the weekend, get to the handcuffs and without thinking properly, snapped them on to see how they felt and if they were suitable for the planned weekend in the knowledge that I knew where the keys were.

Well, not having made the decision, I go get the rucksack from my office, at which point the rucksack is nowhere visible. So with bound hands I go in search of my rucksack. The cuffs were tighter than I intended and so using my hands was a little difficult. I searched the utility room, the office, spare room, boxes in spare room. I then figured that the bag might be in the large shed at the other end of the garden. This posed a brief dilemma as I was not wearing a top. So I had to make my way down a rather exposed garden to the shed to look in our bag of bags (mostly full of handbags which are apparently too good to throw away). I searched and searched to no avail, prior to heading back to the house I picked up a hacksaw from the garage just in case. I spent another 30 mins searching the house and in the end I found it at the back of a wardrobe packed with bedding. Thankfully the keys were present.

So, moral of the story, make sure you actually have your handcuff keys to hand and always leave them open with the safety on so you can't accidentally put them on. Doesn't look great with wrist marks on your Dom weekend (we are both switch).

Freddy
ponylady

Re: Handcuff Advice

Post by ponylady »

moral of this story:

remember one really easy thing: ALLWAYS DOUBLELOCK YOUR CUFFS AFTER USE.

you have to have the key handy even to use them impromptu. will save you a lot of embarresment.
[
teather

Post by teather »

+1. Always open cuffs and padlocks with the key at the start of a session.
[Double] lock them all at the end of a session.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Good tip about double locking the cuffs at the end of the session! A suggestion I would make is to keep extra sets of cuff keys handy. It really sucks to break off the little tab on the key and not be able to unlock the handcuffs.
"Everything is relative to the observer"
"You don't get to be old by being a fool"
TheWingmen

Post by TheWingmen »

I have multiple sets of handcuff keys around the place. Some in my desk drawers, some in my clothes drawers. And the main key is on a lanyard that I actually loop through the cuffs (cuffs locked shut and the lanyard forming a larks head around the part of the cuff that closes) this way you have to untie the keys from the cuffs before using them (since they wont open), so you know there are a set of keys on hand.
freddylocks

Post by freddylocks »

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone.
My set of handcuff keys has multiple keys, the spare keys are on D's car keys and as she was at work I had no access to them either. We play out quite regularly so a variety of toys are often either in a bag, closet or car. Hence I thought iknew where my keys were.

Double locking the cuffs is the answer so they can't accidentally be used. Also, if you are both switches it makes it harder for the other person to switch on you just as you are planning.

Cheers
Freddy