Mace/Pepper Spray in scenarios

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
harbortown

Mace/Pepper Spray in scenarios

Post by harbortown »

New here - so if this post breaks any rules, please let me know off list, edit / moderate as needed.

I've experimented for years with various kinds of mace/pepper spray. It has a temporary blinding effect (forces your eyes shut), lasts about 30-45 minutes, and wears off just fine at that point.

Has the benefit of allowing for combination lock scenarios in the daytime. I discharge the spray into a ziploc baggie, and use a q-tip dipped in the spray and one dab near (not even direclty into) the eye will work, rather than trying to aim and spray at myself.

I've always fantasized about getting blasted with it, but am not someone who would go out and do something to deserve getting it.

Plus, asking some random person with spray on their keychain to spray you with it might catch a few odd reactions.

Anyone else tried this, or have any comments as to the long term effects, safety, or otherwise?
anna
Site Admin

Re: Mace/Pepper Spray in scenarios

Post by anna »

I would highly advice against using something like that in connection with selfbondage. I have no experience with either spray but using something that cause you severe issues and loss of senses while in selfbondage can never be good.

Is not mace and perhaps also pepper spray classed as weapons in some/most/all (?) countries / states /jurisdictions?

Anyway, your idea of dabbing the spray sounds a lot more safe and sensible than empty the can into your face, I grant you that. I am not saying that it is safe but I am also not saying that it is not safe. I no longer know what I wanted to say in this post. :?
harbortown wrote:I've always fantasized about getting blasted with it, but am not someone who would go out and do something to deserve getting it.
You could always ask a nice lady on the street to give you a blast. Do not forget to thank her if she do. :rofl:
harbortown wrote:Plus, asking some random person with spray on their keychain to spray you with it might catch a few odd reactions.
Ah, you thought of that already. You are probably right. People are so narrow minded. :(
A glass of water longing for the ocean.
janine360

Post by janine360 »

harbortown wrote:Plus, asking some random person with spray on their keychain to spray you with it might catch a few odd reactions.
And most people would refuse even if they would like to do it because they'd fear to get sued afterwards
harbortown

Post by harbortown »

anna wrote: Is not mace and perhaps also pepper spray classed as weapons in some/most/all (?) countries / states /jurisdictions?
Hard to say - I'm in the US, and it can be purchased at my local sporting goods store, so it's not banned where I live. Although, going to Canada, they specifically asked if I was carrying pepper spray or mace (I wasn't), so I'm guessing it's common enough that they Canadians don't like it, and they must not allow it. Some US states have requirements on how strong it can be (lower concentration % or alternative ingredients).
anna wrote:
Ah, you thought of that already. You are probably right. People are so narrow minded. :(
Yeah. I know. :)
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

There is a reason why most jurisdictions ban or restrict it - it can cause harm. That also counts in scenarios where the application of mace or pepper spray is voluntary. Just because one is nice when playing with it doesn't make it less harmful.

I'd say that this one is a case of "Strange Stories From The Paramedic Files" in the making. It ranks among the more ludicrous ones. :roll:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
bobbi

Post by bobbi »

i have no idea about its legality, i have a can of it myself from back when i was a wee lad delivering news papers. got to spray a few overzealous dogs with it. rather enjoyed that. asshole dogs sif bite me.

anyway, its sort of corrosive to bio material, non-lethal weapons aren't friendly. if you keep using it on yourself your eyes are going to eventually fog, imagine taking a piece of fine grit paper against an iphone screen. also your mucus membranes may toughen and quit being so mucusy. this means less tears, less snot, the things these membranes need for natural lubrication.
harbortown

Post by harbortown »

All good points. SO - lesson here: Just because it's non-lethal pain inflicting method, it doesn't mean it's an advisable one.

Thanks for the commentary and sanity check. It's good to know these ideas can be bounced around freely.
SteelMan

Post by SteelMan »

It might be possible to make this procedure safer using something other than pepper spray.

Technically speaking, pepper spray is rated at 2 million + Scoville heat units, as per capsaicin content, which is VERY high. Peppers (of all types) have lower capsaicin content than pepper spray does.

Source: http://www.eatmorechiles.com/Scoville_Heat.html

Theoretically speaking, if the capsaicin content goes down, then the damage or risk of damage should also go down. If you can reproduce the same effect with a small dab of pepper juice, instead of pepper spray, then using the weaker pepper juice would most certainly be preferable. Remember too, the solution can be diluted; you can use a food processor and a fine mesh strainer to collect the pepper juice, then mix with water. If you do decide to try this, start near the bottom of the scale.

In some extreme cases, pepper spray can be lethal, but I do not believe anyone has ever died from a simple jalapeno pepper.
Life is like a set of shackles. They may be cold, restricting, and unforgiving at times, but you can still have loads of fun.
davisev5225

Post by davisev5225 »

Pepper spray has the potential to cause permanent harm. I've never heard of people going permanently blind, but I *HAVE* heard of people who have needed not-so-minor changes to their eyeglasses prescription after being hit by pepper spray.

While I agree that using a Q-tip is infinitely safer than using the spray directly, it still carries what I would consider to be an unacceptable level of risk. If you really want a way to be blind for a specified length of time, might I suggest experimenting with a secure blindfold and an integrated ice lock? Ice melts mostly predictably, and is no less accurate than your pepper spray estimates. Once the ice melts, the blindfold can fall away from your face with no ill effects.
chubskee

Post by chubskee »

bobbi wrote:i have no idea about its legality, i have a can of it myself from back when i was a wee lad delivering news papers. got to spray a few overzealous dogs with it. rather enjoyed that. asshole dogs sif bite me.

anyway, its sort of corrosive to bio material, non-lethal weapons aren't friendly. if you keep using it on yourself your eyes are going to eventually fog, imagine taking a piece of fine grit paper against an iphone screen. also your mucus membranes may toughen and quit being so mucusy. this means less tears, less snot, the things these membranes need for natural lubrication.
ahm... maybe i should not agree to you especially about the weapon ahm it should depend
to the people cause there are some people that they dont know how.. to control there self
and the result is accident..
I love Rambo movies that's why I have a collection of rambo knife
rAmb0 fAnAt1c
jjim

Post by jjim »

There's an alternative that isn't under pressure. There's a variety of 'essential oils' that you can get at health food stores, etc.

Pure cinnamon essential oil is extremely strong; peppermint oil is milder. I found this out by mistake, years ago. These essential oils are used for aromatherapy and flavoring. But, check the label carefully; some are highly diluted, while others are 100% pure. Touching cinnamon oil to the forehead, made it feel like it was burning a hole through the skin; but it does nothing to the hands. Various parts of the body vary greatly in sensitivity.

Another thing, it takes about a minute, more or less, for the effect (it's slower than nettles). Oregano oil, 100% is also strong. Once I had a little of it on the back of a fingernail, perhaps; and, being a guy (without any visitors at home) I absentmindedly scratched my scrotum when I had a mild itch there. Maybe 10 or 20 seconds later, it felt like I sat on a glowing coal; the pain was extreme. But, once you get essential oil on you, all you can do is to air it out for 15 minutes or more; water doesn't help, and it may make it worse. Once 100% essential oil is on your generals or your 'mucous membranes', you are basically in for the duration. What surprised me the most, was that the skin was intact afterwards; I thought the skin must surely be blistered or peeled, but it didn't happen. However, others' skin might react differently; and the area was entirely exposed to the air. Screw modesty (as if I had any); all you can do is get the clothes off the area fast as possible, without touching it. I wouldn't be surprised if there might be skin damage if the area remained covered (plus a sore throat from screaming). 100% cinnamon oil can be so painful, that it's way off the chart. Insanely powerful and not suggested with SB (or with anyone else around within earshot). But, 20 minutes later there is only a glow left, and a scent in the air.