Spreader bar width

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
heeled

Spreader bar width

Post by heeled »

I`m gonna make myself a spreader bar. But don`t know wich length i should make te bar.
I`ve saw on sub-shop.com that there are 20" bars, but is this very wide ?
I would`t mind to stand wider than that.

But if i should go wider, would that still be safe?
I`m gonna do a strappado style SB, or just a standing SB.
But could i last long standing wider than 20" ?

How long are your spreader bars ?

Maybe with some pics of you with them in use :D ?

RADER

Re: Spreader bar width

Post by RADER »

I posted this in an other Forum, I copied it here for all to see.
1" ( ONE INCH) is equal to 2.54 cm. So a 20" bar equal to a 50.8 cm"s
Standing in some thing over 30" (76.2 cm) would be rough over time, walking
in one in a open area would be rough, but possible. Just don't try to go through
doors, unless they are very wide. If you are laying down, or sitting, then you can go
much wider. Like said before, make some cheep's and try them out, see what
work's for you. RADER :D
lj

Post by lj »

a lot depends on your flexibility, and what you are trying to achieve.

A strappado in SB can be very dangerous if you lose your balance, so don't get carried away with the width or you will be carried away in an ambulance, with dislocated shoulders!

On the other hand (or leg :lol: ) a very wide spreader will be good for a predicament position as the wider it is, the more strain it puts on your leg muscles. I have made several using broom handles, the longest is an uncut handle, not got it near to measure but probably 1.5m. This is only really useable lying down, or for very short periods standing ( a few minutes)

so get some broom handles and some strong screw eyelets and try put different lengths. You'll need to drill a hole for the eyelet otherwise the wood will split.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
hetmandf

Post by hetmandf »

I made an adjustable one using EMT conduit. One piece of 3/4" 20 inches long. One piece of 1/2" 18 inches long. The two pieces telescope into each other. I flattened one end of each piece and rounded the ends before drilling a 5/16" hole in the ends. I than drilled 5/16" holes all the way through, every one inch in the 1/2" piece of EMT. I than drilled 5/16 holes through 1", and 2 1/2" in from the end of the 3/4 piece, making it very finely adjustable. Than you need only use a 1/4-20 nut and bolt or screw eye to lock it to size. :twisted:
I may be crazy, But I'm not insane
hetmandf

Post by hetmandf »

I made an error in my post on this subject. I made on out of 1/2" & 3/4" EMT. But it bent to easy. :oops: So I used 3/4" & 1" EMT for the next one. It holds up much better. You can always use longer or shorter pieces to make it more or less comfortable to use. And to better suite your body size.
I may be crazy, But I'm not insane
heeled

Post by heeled »

Well, i`ve made 2 spreader bars.
the first is 20" long, and the second is 30" long.

20" i can handle a long time, and i must say, it feels great that i must stand with my legs spread in high heels :D :gag:

The 30" long bar is a different story.. I can stand in heels, with that bar for about an half an hour. Maybe i just need to practice, so i can stand longer with it on :whip:

I can get some pics of whilst in the heels, if you want ?
pr__

Post by pr__ »

To get an estimate on the width, you could take a broom handle and fix your ankles with gaffer tape/zip ties to it.
If you've found the proper width, get to the DIY store and buy 3/4" tube in that length and two T fittings.
There is your spreader bar, for less than in some kinky store.

regards
pr
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

I have made mysely two spreader bars,
1 is a foot long and is nice for hobbling around when doing walking senerios,
the other one is 2.5ft long, did have it at 3ft but found it was very uncomfortable, so shortened it down.
tend use it when sitting down at the computor. not advisable to walk or stand with the wider width.