Yet another emergency release?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
thedude

Yet another emergency release?

Post by thedude »

So, I was thinking about more ways to deter oneself from using one's emergency key, when I stumbled across a personal panic alarm at Wal-Mart, similar to this guy here. Seems (to me) like this could be another great last-resort mechanism. Attach the keys to the wrist strap, then run a rope from them to within your reach. You can pull it at any time to get the keys--along with a 130-DB screeching noise. If the battery should fail, then it's still reliable... the deterrent just won't work.

You could even roll it into a scene... tie/leash/cuff yourself to the beeper side, then use an ice-lock or similar to secure the wrist strap to a fixed object. If you don't stay put, then you get the screech. If you wriggle too much, you get it as well. And once it's out, you can run far and/or wide, but since you're wearing the alarm end, then it'll just follow you. Otherwise, you could wait until the ice melts, then walk to get your key. Pretty easy, huh? :twisted:
ponylady

Re: Yet another emergency release?

Post by ponylady »

louder than a starting jet ?

pretty nice deterrent to use it.

and a good way to get deaf, too.
thedude

Post by thedude »

ponylady wrote:and a good way to get deaf, too.
Eh, if you're worried about that, you could just dampen it a bit by taping cloth or paper over the buzzer. Bring it down from almost as loud as an F-16 taking off (140db, and still just under the level of permanent damage from short-term exposure) to jackhammer level (100 db, still louder than permanent damage from *long* term exposure, roughly 8 hours at 85 db, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)).

Of course, I also feel like I should point out that the point of an emergency release is /not/ to use it. So without muffling it, it should only be used as that emergency release. Keep in mind also, that letting it go off in an enclosed space will amplify the noise.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

thedude wrote: Keep in mind also, that letting it go off in an enclosed space will amplify the noise.
How's that work? Sound engineers all over the planet will be wanting to know how to amplify sound without using equipment.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

cdinbonds wrote:
thedude wrote: Keep in mind also, that letting it go off in an enclosed space will amplify the noise.
How's that work? Sound engineers all over the planet will be wanting to know how to amplify sound without using equipment.
Set the thing off outside, evaluate how loud it is, and then go into an empty closet and set it off in there. You'll find it's much louder because the racket is reflected off the walls, floor and ceiling instead of racing out into the wild blue yonder.

Jenny.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

That I understand, it may SOUND louder, but it is not actually amplified. The decibel level of the sound leaving the device is the same, the sound is NOT amplified just because it is in a closed room.
thedude

Post by thedude »

cdinbonds wrote:That I understand, it may SOUND louder, but it is not actually amplified. The decibel level of the sound leaving the device is the same, the sound is NOT amplified just because it is in a closed room.
Alright, nail me over semantics, then. :wink: :P