Backup release? But...

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
a_2econd_chance

What if...

Post by a_2econd_chance »

Suppose you are currently stuck, and you hear the smoke detector go off. If a fire is brewing, you want to do something as quickly as possible, and completely getting out of bondage, even with a good release, could take a good amount of time. Is there any kind of release that would remedy this problem?
bound_jenny

Re: What if...

Post by bound_jenny »

a_2econd_chance wrote:Suppose you are currently stuck, and you hear the smoke detector go off. If a fire is brewing, you want to do something as quickly as possible, and completely getting out of bondage, even with a good release, could take a good amount of time. Is there any kind of release that would remedy this problem?
Assuming that the backup is readily available (usually at a cost of ruining something valuable or having to endure something really disgusting), how about just removing what is necessary to get mobile? You might get some embarassment once you run outside with the remains of your bonds dragging behind you, but you will not be barbecued and still be alive to enjoy the humiliation.

There is no way to provide for every possible emergency. How about a heart attack? A blood clot? A seizure of some kind? Something bad in your lunch? A plane crash on your house? A water main break that is flooding the basement where you are deliciously trapped? A drunk driver plowing into your room? There is no such animal as a "zero risk".

As I have posted elsewhere, anyone who is looking for a zero risk activity (of any kind) is a) massively deluded and b) a bit out of place in self-bondage. In every day's activities, one is always accepting a small margin of risk.

In self-bondage, we mitigate those risks that can be attributable to general stupidity. The rest, we leave up to random chance, the gods, goddesses or whatever tickles our spiritual fancy, if we have one. We admit there are things we cannot control.

If we knew that there would be absolutely no risk at all, the experience would lose its magic. Self bondage is about total helplessness, complete powerlessness, utter vulnerability, the relinquishment of control to an external force or mechanism that will not allow us freedom until the appointed time. Even the risk of that failing adds to the sensation.

It's the "what-ifs" that make our passion so absolutely wonderful and such a total turn-on!

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
mfx

Post by mfx »

As a bit of a techy I came up with the following emergency release :-

The emergency key is on the end of a string/chain securely attached to me. The other end is held with a small magnet to prevent accidental release without getting in the way of safety. The magnet also operates a magnetically controlled switch (or it can be arrainged to operate a microswitch when pulled) connected to some circuitry and a blender. The blender contains an amount of paper money that would be hard to lose (e.g. a £50 note). Now here it get's interesting! The circuitry decides whether the blender will or will not get turned on if you use the emergency on a random 50/50 (or whatever you decide) basis which gives an added dilema "will I get away with using the emergency even though I'm not actually in trouble?". There are other advantages, in a power cut the blender won't operate so if you have a main release that relies on mains power you can release yourself without penalty, also Smoke,heat and Carbon monoxide sensors can be connected in a way that disables the blender so again in a real emergency you can release yourself and not lose the money! (although you'll probably have other worries!). This system can also be your primary release as a timer can be used to switch off the power to the blender however I'd still suggest two complete sets of keys on two seperate releases.
ilo

Post by ilo »

mfx wrote:As a bit of a techy I came up with the following emergency release :-

The emergency key is on the end of a string/chain securely attached to me. The other end is held with a small magnet to prevent accidental release without getting in the way of safety. The magnet also operates a magnetically controlled switch (or it can be arrainged to operate a microswitch when pulled) connected to some circuitry and a blender. The blender contains an amount of paper money that would be hard to lose (e.g. a £50 note).
I think this is a very nice safety release! It is very annoying to lose a substantional amount of money but it won't ruin anything and it won't leave any marks. Of course it might prove to be an expensive safety release if you use when you don't really need to...

/ilo
mfx

Post by mfx »

ilo wrote: It is very annoying to lose a substantional amount of money but it won't ruin anything and it won't leave any marks.
/ilo
It's also cheaper and less embarrassing than having to call a locksmith!
bdbgum

Post by bdbgum »

Blender should be far away from you though ... :shock:

Speaking about alternate release methods... I'm searching for a new mobile phone... I use my current cell phone as one of my backup releases (cell phone release using the vibrate function). For one particular phone I liked, people reported the issue that the alarm sometimes does not go off! Imagine testing it, it works, and just when you need it, it fails...

Just goes to show that things can go wrong pretty easily...
mfx

Post by mfx »

IMHO a mobile phone should not be considered suitable as a "backup" release! There is far too much to go wrong, flat/defective battery, software crash, accidently set wrong settings etc etc. The key (no pun intended :-) a backup release should conform to the basic engineering principle of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and be (as far as possible) fail safe. None of the following are suitable as a backup release :-

Mobile phone
Clock (i.e. keys on hands)
Anything that relies on power being present e.g. lightbulb letting you see a combination lock.
although they may be considered as your primary release ONLY if used with a reliable backup. In fact a certain amount of unreliability/uncertainty in the primary release can add a lot to the experience for many people.

A true BACKUP release must ALWAYS work but (optionaly) cause some sort of major hastle/financial loss to persuade you not to use it unless it is a real emergency in which case I wouldn't care how much it cost me to get released!

Some people may think "I have 6 mobile phones, what's the chance of them all failing!" Well the chances of getting 6 numbers in the lottery are slim, but it does happen for some people.
mfx

Post by mfx »

a_2econd_chance wrote:Suppose you are currently stuck, and you hear the smoke detector go off. If a fire is brewing, you want to do something as quickly as possible, and completely getting out of bondage, even with a good release, could take a good amount of time. Is there any kind of release that would remedy this problem?
Getting back to this original point, it's worth noting that (for UK residents at least) there are now Smoke detectors and Carbon monoxide sensors that can wirelessly send a signal to a reciever, which with a bit of modification could be used to release you in the event of a fire/ boiler malfunction. I've just bought the following
http://www.fireangeldirect.co.uk/sectio ... 7#FAWBS616

In the case of the vibrating alarm, simply replace the motor with a relay to drop a key from an electromagnet. BTW B&Q are currently selling these heavily reduced.
AbsoluteBeginner

Post by AbsoluteBeginner »

mfx wrote:
Getting back to this original point, it's worth noting that (for UK residents at least) there are now Smoke detectors and Carbon monoxide sensors that can wirelessly send a signal to a reciever, which with a bit of modification could be used to release you in the event of a fire/ boiler malfunction. I've just bought the following
http://www.fireangeldirect.co.uk/sectio ... 7#FAWBS616
The idea is interesting. However, to answer the question of a_2econd_chance:
My emergency release when chained to my chair is a pair of scissors (coming at the price of an unpleasant shower).
While I am cuffed&padlocked to two primitive icelocks, these primitve icelocks are fixed to the chair AND hold together by a string.
Cutting that string with the pair of scissors is a matter of seconds.
Regarding other chains fixing my feet and my body to the chair, I don't use Padlocks but simple spring links. They are easily opened when the hands are free, but they are as effective as padlocks when the arms are chained behind the back (and out of range of the spring links).

Best regards,
the absolute beginner
bdbgum

Post by bdbgum »

Euhm... actually, I used three: clock, cellphone and a key freely to get to but in a compromising place (there's a chance people might notice you if you go get the key).

mfx wrote:IMHO a mobile phone should not be considered suitable as a "backup" release! There is far too much to go wrong, flat/defective battery, software crash, accidently set wrong settings etc etc. The key (no pun intended :-) a backup release should conform to the basic engineering principle of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and be (as far as possible) fail safe. None of the following are suitable as a backup release :-

Mobile phone
Clock (i.e. keys on hands)
Anything that relies on power being present e.g. lightbulb letting you see a combination lock.
although they may be considered as your primary release ONLY if used with a reliable backup. In fact a certain amount of unreliability/uncertainty in the primary release can add a lot to the experience for many people.

A true BACKUP release must ALWAYS work but (optionaly) cause some sort of major hastle/financial loss to persuade you not to use it unless it is a real emergency in which case I wouldn't care how much it cost me to get released!

Some people may think "I have 6 mobile phones, what's the chance of them all failing!" Well the chances of getting 6 numbers in the lottery are slim, but it does happen for some people.
more_secure

starting to think i should use a backup, or maybe not!

Post by more_secure »

So far i've been using metal medium-heavy SB ok and haven't had any problems with not having backup. In fact, i don't think the high would be as good if i knew i could easily escape. I tend to use cuffs and locks because of the fact they're so secure and there's only one way out. Advice is always check your work before you snap close that last pair of cuffs.

------------------------------------
It's the paradox that all subs experience; desiring to be fully locked up, bound and helpless..

ms
Untouchable

Post by Untouchable »

My primary release is a key on string which is resting under a mobile phone on vibrate, which drops into my hand. Usually set for 90 to 120 minutes

My secondary release is a two chains connected via a 250 ml babies drinking bottle filled with ice which I can pull in a little over 2 hours.

My emergency release is a key attached to a large tub of bright orange paint with a loose lid. which will destroy my new carpet and mess up other things in the room if I decide to pull it off.

Incidently, I once pulled my emergency safety after convincing myself that I'd left the lid firmly on, and it wouldn't make too much mess if it did leak. It made a massive mess, and cost a sufficient amount that I won't be doing that again unless there really is an emergency.
nikibound64

Re: Backup release? But...

Post by nikibound64 »

Having read some of the emergency release systems I've thought of a good one. You put foam bath, a bit of shampoo, washing up liquid in glass on a shelve. Underneath you could have some clothes, like your work clothes, clothes your going to wear later that day, etc. You would have to do lots and lots of hand washing as you couldn't use the washing machine as you will probaly get an explosion of bubbles, I think i'll be trying that one soon. :D
BondageGames

Post by BondageGames »

How about bleach that would fall allllll over clothes or carpetting? That would me think twice. And then about 40 more times. Unless my house was on fire. Then I wouldn't think about it one single time >.<
bound2be

Post by bound2be »

I hate my method. I just simply don't completely secure myself to begin with when my partner isn't home. When she is, I'm free to be completely restrained ;-)

Call me a coward, but until I find a surefire emergency release my surefire emergency release is using at least one piece of mickey mouse gear, plastic cuffs I can physically break, easy to untie cuffs with scissors available etc.

I've had enough youthful bad experiences to keep me very concerned about being able to get free in a pinch!