Safety release idea.

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
pledgeay

Safety release idea.

Post by pledgeay »

I had an idea today for a backup release.
The idea is a fan turned on with a stick to prevent turning, the stick is attached to a string with the key on the string. To access the key, you pull the string. However, in front of the fan is a pile of glitter which will be blown all over the room once the key is used.
Any thoughts and ideas welcome.
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Safety release idea.

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

The problem with that idea is that the motor will be trying to spin the blade, which will overheat and over load it. It may blow a fuse, or it may catch fire.
Maybe modify this idea so that you have the release you explained, except that to use it, you must turn on the fan with the switch.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Some fans have a button that turns on the swivel function when you pull it out:
AirVentilatorButton.jpg
AirVentilatorButton.jpg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 488 times
You can turn the fan to an extreme corner away from the glitter foils.
With a rope with the key and enough elastic so that it is just enough to pull the button up when you pull the key towards you. This causes the fan to move back and forth and therefore also in the direction of the glitter.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

How about this:

Tie the string to the key and tape the key to the inside of a cardboard box that's big enough to cover the pile of glitter.
Put the box in front of the fan and just keep the fan running. If the wind is strong enough to push the box away you can simply put a small weight onto the box.

That way, if you don't need the key everything remains clean and you just had a fan do its thing.
If you do need your key however, you'll inevitably uncover the glitter while pulling the box towards yourself.

Just make sure you can easily separate the key from the cardboard, once you retrieved it.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Instead of the stick stalling the fan motor, a piece of plastic separating a pair of low-voltage (5V or 3.3V) electrical contacts controlling a relay controlling power to the fan will accomplish the same thing. Please observe appropriate eye and respiratory protection. Don’t forget to maintain the eyewash station in case of emergency.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
pledgeay

Post by pledgeay »

Thank you so much for the responses and great ideas.. so many creative minds here.
darkfox

Post by darkfox »

Or just put the key in the box full of glitter and place it on one of the ceiling fan blade. Attach the box to an anchor point with a string (away from the fan to prevent entanglement of the string into the fan). In the case of emergency, turn the fan on. The blade goes away, the box falls and releases the key with glitter all around.
Bondage begins when you start wanting out...