Moving on from Arduino?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Riddle

Moving on from Arduino?

Post by Riddle »

I just realized that it may be time for moving away from Arduino and onto the MicroPython ecosystem, especially for those not already familiar with programming. My local community college stopped teaching C# and moved to Python at the beginning of the 2022-23 school year. Even Arduino has a MicroPython controller now.
https://store-usa.arduino.cc/collection ... th-headers

So, who agrees with me on this?
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
Kinbaku

Re: Moving on from Arduino?

Post by Kinbaku »

Riddle wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 13:20 So, who agrees with me on this?
I certainly will! :drool:
It is not only Arduino and Raspberry Pi® Pico compatible, but at the same time has more memory, a number of sensors, a microphone, WiFi, bluetooth and Python - one of the easiest languages to learn and a language that is at the same time very strong due to the libraries that you can link to it.
This means that for most things a lot has already been programmed for you in advance. :D
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

kinbaku wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 13:37 and Python - one of the easiest languages to learn ...
For those who only have one hour free: "Python for Beginners - Learn Python in 1 Hour". :wink: :rofl:
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

No, and yes. Maybe? But also yes, and no. :rofl:

In short, there's nothing wrong with "Wiring"/Arduino code (it's not exactly C# but close enough). The original Uno, Mega, Nano, etc are still perfectly useable boards/micros and for basic programs I personally don't think it's any harder than (micro)Python to learn. Just different.

The newer boards that use (micro)Python are also great, very powerful, lots of options. If it works for you, great.

The best micro for your project is the one you already have. The second best is the one you can fast while your still interest in the project. I think the programming language is not all that important. (So long as it isn't something obtuse like imho, Java. I'm not a fan of OOP)

If I had easy access to industrial PLCs and their programming software I'd be using those. It's the first time programming anything really clicked for me, going from ladder to ST. (Not that I was very good at it, but good enough)
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Gregovic wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 23:19 No, and yes. Maybe? But also yes, and no. :rofl:
Very good points. I agree that both are still perfectly usable and valid choices. Was thinking more along the lines of what to suggest to someone completely new to the entire microcontroller concept as a good starting point. Especially considering the price tag of the Raspberry Pi Pico and the RP2040 chip. Simply editing a text file and saving it to the device also makes explaining the process of getting the code into the device much simpler than the Arduino IDE.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

Oh great!, I've just started to learn a bit about Arduino and its old hat now and people are moving on to micropython,
Which sounds like a euphemism to me. I bet the girls in the class couldn't contain their giggling when the male teacher stood at the front of the class and said he was going to show them the best way to handle micropython.

Or the boy raised his hand and said to the teacher "I think I've an error with my micropython".
:roll:
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

bounddosster wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:11 Oh great!, I've just started to learn a bit about Arduino and its old hat now and people are moving on to micropython,…
No worries! The hardware concepts and usage are the same. The programming code functions the same. The only differences between the two are the layout, formatting, and firmware loading differences.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

bounddosster wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:11 Oh great!, I've just started to learn a bit about Arduino and its old hat now and people are moving on to micropython,
Which sounds like a euphemism to me. I bet the girls in the class couldn't contain their giggling when the male teacher stood at the front of the class and said he was going to show them the best way to handle micropython.

Or the boy raised his hand and said to the teacher "I think I've an error with my micropython".
It's becoming "outmoded" because of your interest. :rofl: Arduino execs : "Dosster is onto us, let's make it more complicated".
No, seriously, they're just taking the points and condenser out of the distributor, and putting in a flying magnet trigger. You still get to set the timing, but don't have to worry about dwell or "bounce".
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
SelfBondageTorment

Post by SelfBondageTorment »

kinbaku wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 13:37
It is not only Arduino and Raspberry Pi® Pico compatible, but at the same time has more memory, a number of sensors, a microphone, WiFi, bluetooth and Python - one of the easiest languages to learn and a language that is at the same time very strong due to the libraries that you can link to it.
This means that for most things a lot has already been programmed for you in advance. :D
Okay, just to be clear, you're saying the device mentioned in the original Post in this thread in that link, that can run code based on either arduino, raspberry pi, and micropython? I bought this hardware and software kit that helps you teach yourself arduino, and I'll still go through all the paces to get a feel for it, but if this new system is easier to program and has functional libraries I will certainly start investing in that.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 16:47 It's becoming "outmoded" because of your interest. :rofl: Arduino execs : "Dosster is onto us, let's make it more complicated".
No, seriously, they're just taking the points and condenser out of the distributor, and putting in a flying magnet trigger. You still get to set the timing, but don't have to worry about dwell or "bounce".
Thanks Shannon, now you've explained it in plain English I understand.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

There's nothing worse than a flaccid micropython. :facepalm:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

SelfBondageTorment wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 17:18 Okay, just to be clear, you're saying the device mentioned in the original Post in this thread in that link, that can run code based on either arduino, raspberry pi, and micropython? I bought this hardware and software kit that helps you teach yourself arduino, and I'll still go through all the paces to get a feel for it, but if this new system is easier to program and has functional libraries I will certainly start investing in that.
I have a lot of starter information for the Arduino, but due to lack of time to deal with it, it has been left lying next to me (Arduino and all the necessary equipment are next to my computer, so that I can get started right away when the craving returns :mrgreen: ).
I learned Python myself, in particular with a children's book to learn to program in Python. The advantage is that I run Linux and here Python is included as standard.
This new Arduino Nano RP2040 has everything on board (Wifi, 16MB flash ram, 3D digital accelerometer and a 3D digital gyroscope, ...),
so once you have learned the regular Arduino and want to go further, you can now buy this printed circuit board very cheaply, where previously you had to buy all those things separately. :D
But learning the basics is the right way to test if you enjoy the programming. :hi:
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

SelfBondageTorment wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 17:18
kinbaku wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 13:37
Okay, just to be clear, you're saying the device mentioned in the original Post in this thread in that link, that can run code based on either arduino, raspberry pi, and micropython? I bought this hardware and software kit that helps you teach yourself arduino, and I'll still go through all the paces to get a feel for it, but if this new system is easier to program and has functional libraries I will certainly start investing in that.
Yes! The device link goes to an Arduino product that uses the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s microcontroller. The Raspberry Pi Pico, a $4 board, is the foundation’s product for competing with the Arduino platform.

Going through the learning kit you have now will be very useful for learning both the Arduino system and the Raspberry Pi system. The way external hardware works with the controller is the same for both devices and the same libraries are used. The benefit of MicroPython is that the code you create is simpler because many things have been simplified. Another benefit is that Python is more forgiving of the code statements which means fewer compiler errors.