Why do tape gags suck so badly?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
Kastev

Why do tape gags suck so badly?

Post by Kastev »

Seriously. I do not understand why seemingly in all bondage material you always have the heroine/hero/victim be easily gagged by a single strip of duct tape and they're completely silenced?

I love to gag myself when practicing self-bondage and I love duct tape, but I can never get duct tape to actually be secure. It doesn't take much to just... stretch your mouth and peel the tape off. So the next step would be you stick something huge in their mouth and THEN tape it right? Even then, nah, I can easily push some of the largest stuffings of material with my tongue against the tape gag and quickly get it off. Multiple strips also don't seem to do anything. It's not fun being able to just easily get your gag off. Yet at the same time, wrapping tape your around head with multiple layers can be quite painful with getting stuck against your hair and isn't fun. And stuff like ball gags just defeat the purpose in my case as they're TOO effective (I still use them on occasion, but I'm just talking about tape gags in this case)

Keep in mind that I use some of the stickiest duct tape available, Gorilla Tape. Other sticky things I've used include Hypafix, Tegaderm & Microfoam, all of which can be easily popped off by stretching my face muscles.

Am I missing something extremely stupid here? Anyone got tips for getting tape gags to work that doesn't involve wrapping it around your head or stuffing your mouth wide open? Because again, as mentioned above, the stuffing doesn't work for my case. Or are tape gags being effective in any way shape or form just a myth perpetrated by DID material?
KinkInSpace

Re: Why do tape gags suck so badly?

Post by KinkInSpace »

Tape gags are supposed to be easily defeated so it can be done on tv. This is so actors feel less scared when they act in a scene as they can just easily get the tape off. Its also so real people who tried this method in order to gag someone else, learn this just doesn't work, and stop doing it.

In more advanced scenes where the tape must be convincing, this is indeed wrapped around the head entirely. This is the secure way to do, but there's one key here. Not all ducttape is the same. Some ducttape is very adhesive, and easily sticks to everything, including hair, but there's also ducttape that is of very low quality that barely sticks to anything. Funnily, it does stick well to the back of itself. So if you wrap that around your head, its not too bad to get off (test this first of course) but can create a better gag.

But if you want to do a good ducttape gag without having to worry about it at all, just get something you can use in conjuncture with the ducttape. For example an empty sheet of paper can be placed against the back of the head, and you just make the tape go around your head, where the paper protects your hairs from being caught in the adhesive. If the ducttape is wound tight enough, it should stick in place even with the paper on the back giving some movement. Its not perfect either, but it should be impossible to remove with just your mouth alone.

But if you want this, it is most likely a much better idea to invest in a proper gag anyway.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Bound Whore

Post by Bound Whore »

Kastev wrote:Yet at the same time, wrapping tape your around head with multiple layers can be quite painful with getting stuck against your hair and isn't fun.

Am I missing something extremely stupid here? Anyone got tips for getting tape gags to work that doesn't involve wrapping it around your head or stuffing your mouth wide open? Because again, as mentioned above, the stuffing doesn't work for my case. Or are tape gags being effective in any way shape or form just a myth perpetrated by DID material?
Use either a stocking over your head (you can make cutout for your nose/eyes if you like) or get a cheap zentai hood to avoid taping your hair and make removal easier. Or get microfoam tape, which only sticks to itself (and skin), but not to your hair (well, a bit, but not as much as duct tape).
It is a lot pricier though, especially the 4 inch rolls, but re-usable to an extent.
Life's too short to pretend you're not into some kinky shit.
Clayfighters

Post by Clayfighters »

Try stuffing your mouth enough that it keeps your mouth open. Then put the first strip of tape between your teeth. Then fill in the rest with strips from under your nose to the chin normally.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Good to meet you, Clayfighters
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Kastev

Post by Kastev »

Well I found sort of a way to make tape gags work better. I just use some double sided tape and put that tape below my bottom lip, under my nose, and to both sides of my mouth. Then when putting the duct tape over my mouth, it makes it a LOT harder to struggle off by flexing your face muscles.

BTW, I REALLY love using these as tape gags:
Attachments
71w3xtv4+TL.jpg
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

Only medical tapes really stick to skin well. If you use 2 or 3 strips it is even more secure.

Basically the tape has to be stretching/elastic type.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Kastev wrote:BTW, I REALLY love using these as tape gags:
Hospital staff love those for holding IV needles in you, and taping IV tubes and other wires, sensors, etc. all over you. I mean all over. :shock:

They really get their fun pulling them off... :shock: :twisted:

On the bright side, us ladies get a free epilation treatment. :lol:

So I can attest to that tape's effectiveness, first-hand experience. :wink:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Lisahs3

Post by Lisahs3 »

bound_jenny wrote:
Kastev wrote:BTW, I REALLY love using these as tape gags:
Hospital staff love those for holding IV needles in you, and taping IV tubes and other wires, sensors, etc. all over you. I mean all over. :shock:

They really get their fun pulling them off... :shock: :twisted:

On the bright side, us ladies get a free epilation treatment. :lol:

So I can attest to that tape's effectiveness, first-hand experience. :wink:

Jenny.
They never do the whole leg or arm though lol. I asked they just looked at me like heard it before.
I prefer to use a razor and proper soap but a friend told me to try the shaving foam men use as its much cheaper, typical!
Those proper epilate strips are very affective but they can sting. However wax strips are just evil.

Tape gags work really well if you can get them to stick which is hard I know and I gave up lol. Oh make sure you are not wearing any makeup because that makes it even less sticky, lipstick is okay because I love seeing my lips print on the tape after I take it off but anything like foundation or blusher will make it not stick. I did have some medical tape once and that did work well but I prefer to use my ballgag now. I was surprised how well I gagged myself though using the tape and a pair of knickers in my mouth, clean ones by the way! I know I sometimes say things that get you boys all flustered.

Lisa
Last edited by Lisahs3 on 07 Sep 2023, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Lisahs3 wrote: I know I sometimes say things that get you boys all flustered.
Boys will be boys... :rofl:

That's why we're here: to torment them with very naughty thoughts. :twisted:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
vm1971

Post by vm1971 »

Duct tape looks nice but many medical tapes do a better job because they're specifically designed to adhere to skin. My preferred one is hypafix. It's breathable so you can't puff your cheeks to get it off. If you make sure your face is clean-shaven and clean of any oils or moisture, it will stick even better after it has had about 5 minutes to cure. When I put it on, I open my jaw as far as I can while keeping my lips together. When done this way, I can't contort my mouth enough to get it off.
Kastev

Post by Kastev »

Well I wanted to come back to this thread I started with an update. After a LOT of experimenting and messing around, I've actually figured out how to make a tape gag work with only ONE strip! Using this method, it was actually impossible for me to remove the tape and was completely impossible to speak any kind of words. So up until now I had been going under the assumption that more gag material = better restriction, but the method I'm using requires only a 3/4" of a piece of tape.

And it was incredibly simple, just biting my lower lip with my upper lip and keeping it as tight as possible, and putting that incredibly thin piece of tape just over my upper lip and underneath my lower lip. It sounds... so simple and so stupid, but I'm telling you, at least with me it was impossible to wiggle out of it no matter how much I tried to puff my lips up or wiggled my jaw. Though due to the tender area the tape is sticking to, removing it requires you to remove it VERY slowly and carefully.

Now the other reason this might work so well is that I was using some extra-strong duct tape as I'm out of regular duct tape, but even using extra-strong duct tape, if I just cut off a regular sized piece of tape and did the stereotypical tape mouth gag, I could still easily get the tape off even though it was extra strong. But this super thin strip of tape that just BARELY covers your lips worked better than any other sticky type of mouth gag I've played around with up until now!
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Kastev wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 09:37 And it was incredibly simple, just biting my lower lip with my upper lip and keeping it as tight as possible, and putting that incredibly thin piece of tape just over my upper lip and underneath my lower lip. It sounds... so simple and so stupid, but I'm telling you, at least with me it was impossible to wiggle out of it no matter how much I tried to puff my lips up or wiggled my jaw. Though due to the tender area the tape is sticking to, removing it requires you to remove it VERY slowly and carefully.
It doesn't work with my cheap duct tape.
I have also tried with a second strip halfway over it so that it fits well under my chin, but I can always pull it loose.

So time to purchase a stronger duct tape. :gag:
Kastev

Post by Kastev »

kinbaku wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 11:50
Kastev wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 09:37 And it was incredibly simple, just biting my lower lip with my upper lip and keeping it as tight as possible, and putting that incredibly thin piece of tape just over my upper lip and underneath my lower lip. It sounds... so simple and so stupid, but I'm telling you, at least with me it was impossible to wiggle out of it no matter how much I tried to puff my lips up or wiggled my jaw. Though due to the tender area the tape is sticking to, removing it requires you to remove it VERY slowly and carefully.
It doesn't work with my cheap duct tape.
I have also tried with a second strip halfway over it so that it fits well under my chin, but I can always pull it loose.

So time to purchase a stronger duct tape. :gag:
Yeah unfortunately I couldn't test it out with regular duct tape. The one I use is Gorilla Duct Tape. And even though it's extra sticky, usually even it won't work as a gag if it's just slapped over your mouth. Hell, I'm sitting here right now with that 3/4" small strip of tape over my mouth and I cannot get it off by wiggling or blowing, at least not without experiencing a good deal of pain, which is why I want to reiterate that you should remove it very carefully! :D