A selfbondage tragedy

Forum rules and general information.
anna
Site Admin

A selfbondage tragedy

Post by anna »

Recently we have been informed that a selfbondage practitioner has been found dead.

The person who has emailed us didn't give much details about the incident, she just pointed out that the victim was doing selfbondage with handcuffs, a timed release method and that he had a rope around his neck. The rope somehow tightened and he suffocated to death when he tried to reach the key.

We the staff are deeply touched as the victim was a like-minded person. We would like to send our condolences to the family and we would like to take the opportunity of turn this tragedy into something positive to prevent that never again we'll have to lament the lost of a human life while doing selfbondage.

We would like to remind our readers that there are a lot of safety tips in the main site:
Boundanna.com Safety tips

There is also a whole safety subforum in the selfbondage category:
Forum Boundanna Safety subforum

And in the software subforum you'll find a safety post warning about the use of selfbondage programs:
Read before downloading and using forum software

If you have any safety doubt, if you consider that there is not enough safety information in the forum or you need any kind of help please feel free to contact with any of the staff members or just open a new thread.

Play safe!

The moderation and administration team.
tiemeupalso

Re: A selfbondage tragedy

Post by tiemeupalso »

the last one i heard about was David Caradine of" kung fu" fame.
Marissa

Post by Marissa »

That is why I have pretty much given up self bondage and gone to partner bondage.

It is hard to believe that accidents can happen with all the information out there. Shame though. :cry:
Red_Husky

Post by Red_Husky »

Partner bondage is dangerous too
On August 20, 2013, 3 guys had a bondage session. One was saran wrapped while the other two should have watched over him. When they wrapped him out, they left him in that room alone for few hours. After few hours they did check him, they saw him not moving, so they thought he was asleep. By that time he was long dead. Also they used drugs on the session.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Partnered bondage has an inherent safety factor in the form of the partner. Except, of course, if said partner is an irresponsible, neuron-challenged bonehead with the common sense of a rutabaga. :roll:

The example you cite, where drugs are involved, is an example of one of those rutabagas. Or the idiot who left his charge alone, unattended, while he went out grocery shopping. I'm sure there are countless examples of dangerous partnered bondage situations that can be dredged up, but they all have one thing in common...

Rutabagas (see above).

Partnered bondage is perfectly safe if the partner is sane, level-headed, and attentive to the needs of the other.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Marissa

Post by Marissa »

Jenny,

You mean one that has a chainsaw to cut the rope instead of EMT shears? Cuz I feel chainsaws are safe :hi:
Pia

Post by Pia »

bound_jenny wrote: Partnered bondage is perfectly safe if the partner is sane, level-headed, and attentive to the needs of the other.
While partnered bondage is a lot safer than self bondage, I wouldn't sign that comment. Mistakes happen and even sane and level-headed intelligent people can make a mistake.

Using drugs in connection with bondage obviously is such a mistake.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Pia wrote:Using drugs in connection with bondage obviously is such a mistake.
Using drugs is way more than a mistake, it is neither sane nor level-headed. Anyone sane or level-headed will not put poison in his or her body.

Basically, if you can't operate heavy machinery (remember those disclaimer labels?) with a substance - alcohol or drugs - in your body, don't do bondage or self-bondage either. There's a life at stake, either your own or someone else's, and you need all your wits about you.

Jenny.
Pia

Post by Pia »

bound_jenny wrote:
Pia wrote:Using drugs in connection with bondage obviously is such a mistake.
Using drugs is way more than a mistake, it is neither sane nor level-headed. Anyone sane or level-headed will not put poison in his or her body.
I strongly agree on the first part. The second part is true in connection with actions that might be a thread to any life; I wouldn't judge on people drinking alkohol in safe circumstances though.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Poison is a question of dose.
:mrgreen:
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Mistress_deborah

Post by Mistress_deborah »

Even professionals can get it wrong , although luckily it has not happened to me.
One of the problems is familiarity , they gag themselves tie their legs and put the cuffs behind their backs and snap them shut - job done. This time though , they forgot to double lock them , and fell asleep rolled over and they tighten on their wrists , loosing blood flow and the ability to us the key. Luckily a friend always checked the next morning , obviously removed all the bondage and took him to the doctors - his wrists still have nerve issues 6 months later.
If I restrain a person today , it will be someone different the next day , and all have different reactions to the same bondage. The art is to be aware of your limitations and although they may give you a rush , being restricted , or restricting yourself , that endorphin rush may affect your heart anyway , and be no ones fault - still at least you wer happy.
Play safe.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I have a theory. It takes all parties concerned to cause an accident= It takes only one person paying attention to prevent them. Even in a partner session, the sub should be paying attention and be thinking. Difficult to do, but maybe reading this, it will become a normal routine for them.
I pledge to practice self bondage safely, to share any mistakes, or thoughts of possible mistakes, and encourage others to do the same, with the BoundAnnians of BoundAnna.com.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

A good pledge.

But I rather see accidents as “perfect storms”.
Normally several things must go wrong to cause the problem.
But it is about probability, and every time you do it, you “play in the lottery”.

The art is to keep the probability as low as possible on all parameters.

No matter how careful you are, a freak coincidence can still get you (but it is very unlikely)

“I decide to tie myself up with a piece of toilet paper”
If that exites me so much that I faint, lightning then strikes my house, all neighbors are at the weekly pole-fitness class and the firefighters all have food poisoning.... them I am toast!

(Or, ok, I am not, because a wave of hamsters will carry me to safety, albeit naked and decorated with toilet paper.... excuse me, but now I need a little time by myself while I hold that thought)
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Sir Cumference wrote:(Or, ok, I am not, because a wave of hamsters will carry me to safety, albeit naked an decorated with toilet paper.... excuse me, but now I need a little time by myself while I hold that thought)
That is probably in the top five of weird mental images I've experienced here... :shock:
Sir Cumference wrote:Normally several things must go wrong to cause the problem.
I'm a big fan of the documentary program Mayday, and I agree. A series of things need to go wrong, some technical, some human, for such a tragedy to occur. To avoid such things, planning is the best preventative. (though I have not heard of any aircraft being lofted to safety by hamsters with jet packs, but with Sir C, you never know)

I stand corrected, it's the weirdest.

Jenny.
stacytiedandgagged

Post by stacytiedandgagged »

This is why I never use cuffs, you cannot undo them like rope or work on them. Fortunately I hate that kind of self bondage involving cuffs / chains and restraining your oxygen supply is not just dangerous it is daft