Types of cuffs

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
TDF

Types of cuffs

Post by TDF »

I was looking at the Collared Kitty scenario and I'm wondering what wrist, thigh, and leg cuffs people would use. I've only ever used rope but it has a tendency to cut off blood flow so tying hands is pretty much out. All the leather (or similar style) ones you can get cheap are basically Velcro strips or flimsy, unless you are paying £150+. I have no idea what metal handcuffs would be like but I'd guess like the leather ones you'd have to go expensive before you got anything quality, and if you pulled on them (eg hog tie) don't they dig in? What about just chain and a padlock?

Anyone got recommendations (preferably UK)? What to watch out for when buying, what to avoid, that type of thing?
ponylady

Re: Types of cuffs

Post by ponylady »

Well, this is something your health can depend on.

Wanna trust amazon or the bay with that ?

Thought so. Just try your friendly, kinky neighbourhood fetishshop.
You can feel & try on the cuffs that will restrain you there.

And good cuffs last a lifetime.
I purchased a good set of ankle- & wristcuffs together with a collar when i was 18;
Still have them & i'm 52 nowadays *oops did it again, a gurl should never reveal her age :oops: :oops: *

Think i got my money's worth ?
I do.
[
lj

Post by lj »

I entirely agree with Ponylady, pay the money for good craftsmanship.

I did buy an excellent set of heavy leather wrist + ankle cuffs with four snaplinks thrown in free from a trader at LAM (London Alternative Market) but that was several years ago.

Early on, we bought a set of wrist+ankle+collar but the Company is no longer trading, but one of the ladies running the company has set up on her own, this is a link to one of the products

https://www.bondatrix.com/index.php/bon ... nts-detail

she does others, more expensive but the quality is excellent

there are quite a few traders, ask whoever runs your nearest Munch, they may know someone personally, far better than a random EBay purchase and it's always worthwhile getting to know the locals kinksters!
be a switch, double the fun :-)
dante33

Post by dante33 »

I also recommend buying quality, especially if you're using it for selfbondage. I've built up a pretty extensive collection of metal restraints over 15 years. Metal does take more planning (you really need to think the scenarios through), but they're very useful for 'non-restrictive' ties, like just hanging around the house in shackles.

Here are some sites I've ordered from and been very happy with:
http://www.huse.com
http://www.fetters.co.uk
http://www.peitschenhandel.de
http://www.cuffsland.com

As some point, I wanted a pair of ankle cuffs - went to a local BDSM store, bought the only pair they had (cheap) - they jammed on the third use. They were put together very badly. Did manage to get them open after a few minutes, but it goes to show how much quality matters - I bought my first pair of handcuffs 15 years ago, police quality, and they have never gone wrong.
TDF

Post by TDF »

Thanks for the advice, seems the key is you get what you pay for. I'll definitely have a look at whats local but even though I live in a pretty liberal city it might just be cheap tat. Asking some of the locals isn't a bad idea too, i'd been putting it off. Thanks for the links and the info.

Dante, when you say metal requires more planning what do you mean?
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Buy quality and only cry once.
8)

Or:
Spend a little money, and make your own:
http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... +restraint
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
dante33

Post by dante33 »

TDF wrote:Thanks for the advice, seems the key is you get what you pay for. I'll definitely have a look at whats local but even though I live in a pretty liberal city it might just be cheap tat. Asking some of the locals isn't a bad idea too, i'd been putting it off. Thanks for the links and the info.

Dante, when you say metal requires more planning what do you mean?
With rope and leather, you can have a knife or scissors nearby to help you out in case your escape mechanism fails - that is not possible with metal; you either have the key or you dont. And since you can get yourself in a bind very quickly (handcuffs take a few seconds to get on), you need to plan further ahead. Basically, you can get home, cuff yourself to a radiator and be completely screwed if you dont have someone coming home or a phone nearby.

With all that said - metal is amazing. I love the feel, the weight and the sounds. And that I cant get out without the key. Also, its quite a lot easier to do selfbondage with metal (and leather) than rope, in my experience. I've done metal selfbondage for roughly 7 years now (before that it was always with a partner), and I know my equipment and limits well. I can do hogties, chair ties, timed imprisonments, pretty much any possible bondage position or scenario, by myself and with some form of escape.

...if only my wonderful girlfriend was away more :P
Hairy Sub

Post by Hairy Sub »

It is really possible to buy some good quality cuffs on ebay.co.uk. Look for TCH from a seller with good reputation. For leather etsy.co.uk has a good range (in particular The Atrocity Shop).
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Properly sized rope wrist coils are amazing! I purchased a few sets of weigh lifter ankle cuffs with the velcro, one set sized for my wrists and they are inescapable. Handcuffs are ok but they hurt especially if you roll over onto them. I made some pvc pipe cuffs that can be secured with padlocks and they are also inescapable. 9 times out of 10 I'll use wrist coils and zip ties though that works best for me.
"Everything is relative to the observer"
"You don't get to be old by being a fool"
Stretched out

Post by Stretched out »

Having a decent pushbike, one of the most secure compact D locks for it was a good investment.

It also happens to have another use... Just dont loose the key!
Attachments
20171106_125359.jpg