Electronic timer lock: Someone tried it yet?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
blacksabbath

Re: Electronic timer lock: Someone tried it yet?

Post by blacksabbath »

I have one of these and the battery won't hold charge. Trying to locate a replacement - it's tiny (20mm x 10mm x 3mm ish flat 3.7v 55mAh).

It doesn't fail "safe" - i.e. when the battery dies it remains locked.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I had one like that. Eventually got a refund from AliExpress but haven't been able to source a small enough battery that doesn't cost 3/4 the price I paid for the padlock.
blacksabbath

Post by blacksabbath »

I'm thinking of getting a larger battery and gluing to the outside - not as neat but possibly effective.
gogglestars2

Post by gogglestars2 »

ruru,
I also took it apart to try and figure out what was really going on before I tried the USB port method, there was a loose bit of thin wire that may (or may not) have been the cause of the weird stuff.

Everyone,
It's always good to try it at a short time (like 1 minute) not connected to anything important before trying anything locking bondage equipment in place. Do not try this at home, or anywhere else, etc.
sweh

Post by sweh »

sweh wrote:I received mine, today.
8 months later, and one of them died... while securing me to the bed.

The LCD segments are random, key presses don't work the way they're meant to... but sometimes change the random display segments. And it wasn't going to open, no matter what.

I'd used it as a joining link between two chains, so I was able to pull on one chain hard. It didn't take all of my weight and strength, but it wasn't easy. However the cable ripped out. Oddly, not on the locking hasp side, but on the fixed end. Would not have been able to do that if I could put my weight behind it.
Attachments
badlock.jpg
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

sweh wrote:8 months later, and one of them died... while securing me to the bed.
Ouch.

I've been inclined to use them in redundant configurations, e.g. locking cuffs with separate time locks, so that getting out of either of them will at least get me to a point where I'm not prevented from getting to tools. But it is a not-so-gentle reminder to always have a Plan B.

Good to know that violence is an option.

Out of six, I've had one with a dodgy battery (it gave plenty of warning about potential trouble); no failures in service (yet).
Padlocked Markus

Post by Padlocked Markus »

I got mine this week and am pretty pleased with it - so far. I've noticed one small bug: when pressing the "hours" key of the timer first, it sometimes doesn't show 01:00:00, but e.g. 01:32:00. Why? Perhaps a hidden random function?:) Which would be a great addition, BTW.
But why are you guys all opposed to the sounds? The instruction says they enhance the psychological effect - and with me indeed they do. The beep-beep-beeeeep upon locking is terrifying. You know there's no way out now.
The wonderful thing, however, about this lock is that for the first time I can now chain both my hands above my head in an esthetically pleasing and easy way (difficult with the KS). The vendor says it will bear a weight of about 60 kg, so I know if I need an emergency abort I can just yank really hard and rip the wire out of the lock. (Would be a pity though.)
Are you familiar with the "Self Bondage Units" of alexq999 on DeviantArt? Probably so (if not, by all means have a look!), but I just discovered them last week. If I had one of those that would be a dream come true. With this little electronic timer lock, I'm one step closer to it without spending a few thousand quid.
And now, with a dry mouth and sweating hands, I'm in for a multi-hour session with my new toy. Just standing. Stark naked, wrists chained above head, ankles shackled together. Nothing else. In a dark, quiet room. Just standing. Watching the timer. Going through the stages from exhilaration through resignation to bliss and back to exhilaration.
Dedicated ankle-chain wearer. Current stride length: 20 cm.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

I've noticed that on the first keypress after you "wake it up" or after it's unlocked, it'll show the last time it was programmed for. You can then either run with that, adjust it, or press the middle button twice to reset it and start from scratch.

I think it's still a bug - when it wakes up, it shows 00:00, so you'd expect the first press of either of the left or right button to take it to 01:00 or 00:01 respectively, but they don't, they take you to the last programmed time. By contrast, if you set a time, don't lock it, and come back later, the thing shows the set time as you left it. Nor exactly consistent. They did listen when people asked about turning the sound off, so I expect another minor software change isn't impossible. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Re the sound - I've noted before, for me it's just annoyingly loud, especially if I want some quiet fun without feeling like I'm letting half the neighbourhood know what I'm doing... (Yes, I know it's not that loud, and even if it was, they wouldn't know what it was, but still...)
Padlocked Markus

Thank you for the enlightenment! Mystery solved. So, it is a bug, but not a malfunction, just an unexpected programming, and the electronics is OK on my unit.
As for the mechanical strength, it seems somewhat cheaply made but does prove rather resistent against the constant tug you lay on it when it holds your hands up over your head. I only wish there were an all-steel version of it! (So, in case anyone from the manufacturer consult this forum - go ahead, and don't forget that random-time feature!)
And I'm really into that moment when you've set the timer to 3 hours or so and then press the centre button with a hammering heart and a kind of self-abandon, the beeps start and you realise you're in for good...
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

All-Steel would make the device like 10 times more expensive.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Padlocked Markus

Probably so. Sigh. And the safety escape option of just yanking the wire cable out would be gone, too. Seriously though: I'd be happy if the lock were just built as solid and reliable as the KS (which is plastic, too) and strong enough to put your whole weight on it (e.g. in a suspension scenario) - though I do prefer chrome steel for reasons of style to go with my chains and shackles...
Fetish

Post by Fetish »

Lurking on the old threads I found a way to distribute load: http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... 881#p61881
So.., with little DIY-work it could be "strong enough to put your whole weight on it" :D
I'm thinking about making 3D printed enclosure with similar release mechanism for it (but I need to buy such lock before ;)).
Padlocked Markus

Great, thanks for the research! Looks like an application of the pulley principle, actually quite simple - if someone explains it to me first. :) For me, as a lightweight pervert (about 53 kg/110 lb.), probably just one loop will suffice. So, no excuses anymore to avoid that 4-hr session... Nipple-clamped perhaps for a little spicing-up...

I still should like a steel version of that timer lock, though - especially the inside locking mechanism itself should be all-metal.
n4ge

Post by n4ge »

sweh wrote:
sweh wrote:I received mine, today.
[...] I was able to pull on one chain hard. It didn't take all of my weight and strength, but it wasn't easy. However the cable ripped out. Oddly, not on the locking hasp side, but on the fixed end. Would not have been able to do that if I could put my weight behind it.
I've had two locks fail this way, neither under strenuous use :wink: Seems they've used hot glue to join metal to metal - best guess is all these locks will eventually fail.

Tried fixing with electrical solder as it's all I have to hand:
  • Opened lock and removed hasp and cable.
  • Removed hot glue from hasp side by inserting a soldering iron.
  • Pushed cable into hasp, applied soldering iron to outside, and fed in solder.
Fingers crossed that'll do the job, though bit dubious. Next step 3D printing?
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Actually, it is a relief that these lock break this easily, because that means there's a failsafe. We know these locks should not be used to put heavy strain on them, but if for some reason you really do need to get out, you can do that, and replace the locks. For example, if the power runs out and it won't open ever, then just destroy it.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.