Electronic timer lock: Someone tried it yet?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
sweh

Re: Electronic timer lock: Someone tried it yet?

Post by sweh »

Predicament bondage... Can you get to a computer, plug in a USB cable and stay there long enough to charge the padlock to get release :lol:
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

sweh wrote:Predicament bondage... Can you get to a computer, plug in a USB cable and stay there long enough to charge the padlock to get release :lol:
And just as importantly, does the timer restart or can the lock be unlocked if the battery is empty and external power is supplied.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shin

Post by Shin »

I had a wonderful session today. I have two of these and I was tied spreadeagle with them (in both hands). The lock definitely has an electrical motor operating a slide preventing you to unlock it. I would assume that an unpowered lock can't be opened. I think that the 99 hours of maximum lockup time ain't enough to empty the battery, since it's only powering an display screen (like in an alarm clock). The device starts flashing when it needs recharging, but when you are in bondage, that doesn't help you much.

The case is plastic and with enough force it will break at the points where the cables connect to the case. I think that I would be able to open them if necessary by pulling. I won't try it though :rofl:

I'll let the battery run out (don't know how long that will take), and when it starts flashing I'll do some dry runs to see what happens to the timer when it's out of power.
sweh

Post by sweh »

I received mine, today. They're smaller and lighter than I expected. Some initial thoughts:

* The main body is approx 1.75" x 1.5" x 0.75". The cord making up the hasp forms a loop approx 1.25" across and in height. It weighs 1oz.

* The LCD display is side lit; the light only comes on for a few seconds after pressing a button, while charging, or when the battery is low.

* There's no true battery indicator; all you know is when it is getting low by the light coming on.

* The locking mechanism is a simple catch; the release button on the right lets the cable loose. When the padlock is "locked" the button is prevented from being pushed.
2017-09-02 21.50.36.jpg
* On the front panel, the left button adds hours; the right button adds minutes. The middle button starts a 5 second countdown; press it again and the timer is aborted.

* While the timer is running the LCD display shows the current time; press a button to turn on the light. With the lock not running the LCD display is turned off (to save battery).

* Button presses, the 5 second countdown, and "time finished" all cause a pretty loud beep. If I was locked into this overnight then the time running out would probably be enough to wake me up... but I'm a light sleeper.

* Recharging is via a small DC power port; it comes with a USB adapter cable, but any 5V supply with the right tip (a very small one!) would probably work. This appears to be common with cheap stuff, these days.

I have it running a 24 hour countdown to see how accurate the clock is (it should open around 2:34pm tomorrow).
sweh

Post by sweh »

sweh wrote:I have it running a 24 hour countdown to see how accurate the clock is (it should open around 2:34pm tomorrow).
It seemed pretty accurate (which is more than my original kitchen safe was; the second one is better).
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Can time be added while locked?
sweh

Post by sweh »

ruru67 wrote:Can time be added while locked?
No. While locked the buttons will turn the light on (and beep), but can't make changes to the time.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

I received the 2 locks I ordered today. One went wonky very soon (probably due to my experimenting) and I can't seem to get it resurrected, the other one works as expected. I've torn the wonky one open to see what's inside. I'll post some pictures soon. It's basically just a small DC motor with a cam blocking release button when turned one way and allowing it to move when turned the other way.

the "brains" are hidden under a blob of black epoxy. There's not much else on the board. Soldering quality is a bit hit'n'miss. The SMT components are clearly done in a reflow oven. The wiring and a capacitor are probably done by hand and the joints all look dry. Certainly not great.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

The four I ordered turned up this morning. Haven't had a chance to play with them. Two observations:
  • The beeps are kinda loud and really annoying.
  • You can't set the timer and then lock the lock - that is, you have to close the lock before hitting the timer start button. It's a minor thing, but it means you can't set a bunch of locks to all open at the same time and then proceed to lock them, unless you can get to the all the start buttons when locked. It looks like the latch and release button are one piece; a design where the locking cam blocked just the button, with a separate latch that is free to move when the hasp is inserted would allow for the locks to be closed after the timer has started.
How hard was it to get apart? Would it be practical to open it up, remove the buzzer and glue it together again?
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

ruru67 wrote:The four I ordered turned up this morning. Haven't had a chance to play with them. Two observations:
  • The beeps are kinda loud and really annoying.
  • You can't set the timer and then lock the lock - that is, you have to close the lock before hitting the timer start button. It's a minor thing, but it means you can't set a bunch of locks to all open at the same time and then proceed to lock them, unless you can get to the all the start buttons when locked. It looks like the latch and release button are one piece; a design where the locking cam blocked just the button, with a separate latch that is free to move when the hasp is inserted would allow for the locks to be closed after the timer has started.
How hard was it to get apart? Would it be practical to open it up, remove the buzzer and glue it together again?
You are correct, the latch is also the button. If you know where the screws are its probably easy to take apart...
:oops: . I'll post some pics soon.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

As promised some photo's of the locks. I experimented with one of the locks and broke it quite soon. The battery was already low, then I kept the latch button pressed while the lock tried to lock. This prevents it from locking but apparently also drains the battery even harder. Then when the lock tried to unlock again it went wonky. The beeper is now a buzzer and sounds really crackly, the display shows all segments at the same time, and thus basically doesn't show anything at all.

Thus I decided to just rip it open to see what's inside. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette right? :rofl: I since I didn't know the two halves are held together by screws I just prized it open with a flat screwdriver until I had the 2 halves apart. Turns out if you just take the black bezel around the screen off. Just slide a fingernail or hobby knife under it and carefully lift. There are 2 screws and then you don't have to go cro-magnon on the thing. Hopefully this gives someone else some clues if they ever want to fix or alter one of these.
Overview shot, ruler in Cm
Overview shot, ruler in Cm
Screen bezel removed to reveal screws (or just break it open like a 120 pound gorilla...)
Screen bezel removed to reveal screws (or just break it open like a 120 pound gorilla...)
The guts of the lock
The guts of the lock
Locking cam close-up (locked)
Locking cam close-up (locked)
Locking cam close-up (unlocked
Locking cam close-up (unlocked
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Hey, thanks for sacrificing one of your locks in the name of science!

Looks like removing the piezo completely wouldn't be too hard. Could strengthen the thing with a bit of epoxy too.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I kinda wish I hadn't read this thread, or at least the last part. I've got one and another arriving any day (I split AliExpress purchases among different sellers) but not had a chance to use it yet. I might take the bezel off and put some epoxy over the screw heads so there's no temptation to take it apart if I want out of whatever situation I've put myself in.
natq

Post by natq »

I ordered one.
And then figured that there would be a thread about them here, especially with pictures of the insides.
I was not disappointed!

When mine arrives I'll do some experiments at silencing buzzer.
I'd suggest just putting a piece of good ductape in front of the black buzzer to muffle it.
That has worked for some other similar units in the past.

But I'm glad to hear that it has worked for others.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

natq wrote:I ordered one.
And then figured that there would be a thread about them here, especially with pictures of the insides.
I was not disappointed!

When mine arrives I'll do some experiments at silencing buzzer.
I'd suggest just putting a piece of good ductape in front of the black buzzer to muffle it.
That has worked for some other similar units in the past.

But I'm glad to hear that it has worked for others.
If you want it to be silent, just snip one of the green wires going to the buzzer. That'll do it.