Looking for a good place to store my backup key

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
FatherOfFour

Re: Looking for a good place to store my backup key

Post by FatherOfFour »

Then I have a solution I've used in several occasions:
(I sometimes install spy cameras...)

Exfoliate some of the veneer from the backplate(*), remove the filling, and create a shallow space for Your key, then use:
- bone/skin glue (good, very smelly), or
- natural resin, or
- kid's glue (gum arabica)
to fix everything in place.
Those glues are not very strong, can be cleaned from the key, but will hold a large penalty:
- time to empty the shelf
- break the backplate
- clean the key...

Have fun, overdo it...
f4

======================
(*) - assuming plywood backplate, for cardboard there are similar solutions
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have a similar situation and just came up with an idea today that I'm hoping will work. I have a small metal chastity device that I like but I can slip out of it if I make my mind up. Today I ordered a leather chastity belt thing that I think I can wear over top to prevent me from having any access to slip out. In theory, I should be able to lock the keys in the k-safe for as long as I want and be pretty helpless to escape chastity; but in an emergency, I can cut the leather or break the k-safe. I'm not going to want to do either of those things though; so unless it's a real emergency, I should stay quite helpless.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

@FatherOfFour: still don't see how I can do that without altering the state of the Shelve unit. Again, don't want to do anything to it.

@Donna: well, that's not what I'm after. I want to hide the spare key. I do not want to trash my pricy kSafe, because that is something I just won't do, which leaves that when I am in danger, I will experience more harm than is good for me.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

if you have a built in type medicine cabinet in the bathroom that is mounted to the wall,take it down,tape the key to the cabinet and replace .
you can also do this with one that is just mounted to the wall.
then you have to use tools to get to it
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

@tiemeupalso: as pointed out earlier, I already settled for where I want to hide the key and how. The only part is, I want to secure it into a small box using a plastic padlock, but I don't know how to do this. I probably want to buy a safe of some sort, but my search hasn't found a safe that has a D ring inside.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
sweh

Post by sweh »

I don't know how much space you have back there, but perhaps a lockbox like this? https://www.amazon.com/Jssmst-Locking-S ... B06XJFGH1V

You could lock your backup key into this box and then use the one-time-lock to connect the lockbox key to the handle. You would need to cut the plastic lock to get the key to unlock the box to get your backup key.
sweh

Post by sweh »

Alternatively maybe a pencil case like this one: https://www.amazon.com/LORJE-Capacity-M ... B00P32TNS0

The key can be put inside the pocket and then the pencil case locked closed with the one-time-lock.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

It seems to me that when it comes to backup keys, you want one of:
  • Hard/slow to get to (you've apparently ruled that out);
  • Embarrassing to get to - you need to call someone to let you out, or give you the combination. I'm assuming you don't have that person;
  • Expensive to get to, i.e. the solution will cost you money or time; or
  • Undesirable to get to, i.e. doing so will have undesirable consequences.
The most obvious thing is to simply use the kSafe itself. Seriously, a hammer blow to the thing will shatter the acrylic. But that's an expensive way to go, and their shipping is kinda slow. It's going to be a while before a replacement shows up. You could buy a spare so you don't have to wait for a new unit to turn up, and then just order a new spare (or just the base) if you need to kill it - and you'll be down to one until the spare turns up.

The next obvious solution is a piggy bank - these are cheap from your local dollar store. Get one you like, but that can be destroyed easily (the traditional ceramic type is probably best). If it has an opening, use epoxy to seal it shut. Then drop your spare key into it. If you really need out, one hammer blow is all it takes - but you get to clean up the mess afterwards, and you don't get to play again until you replace it. (Or you could buy a spare - I'd make a point of buying a different one so the first doesn't seem quite so disposable.)
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

sweh wrote:Alternatively maybe a pencil case like this one: https://www.amazon.com/LORJE-Capacity-M ... B00P32TNS0

The key can be put inside the pocket and then the pencil case locked closed with the one-time-lock.
Now THIS! is a brilliant suggestion!

At first, I was like... not gonna work, but it actually will work perfectly, and makes things so much easier.

Thanks. I think we have a winner here.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

I've come to the perfect solution for me.

I'm going to order this: A book safe Its a safe that looks like a book. Its the smallest they sell in terms of dimensions, and its equally big as 3 of my Donald Duck pockets, except, its slightly less deep. I have 3 spare Donald Ducks that I already own, so I plan to cut the papers out of them and only use their back plate. Glue them to the safe and instead of it saying The english dictionary, it will show 3 pockets. If I then place them next to the others, you won't see that they are actually a safe. The original ones, I'll put somewhere else.

Now of course this doesn't actually solve the key for this safe, but I plan to drill 2 holes into the safe away from the locking mechanism. Put a plastic safe through the holes and lock the key for the safe to that. To get into the safe, I have to break the plastic padlock and replace it. If it appears that drilling a hole in the safe is not going to work, I'll find another hiding place for that key. In the past it were several keys, and that made the whole thing a lot more complicated. Now its just one small key.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Got the book safe yesterday and this is going to be perfect. I measured that drilling 2 holes above the lock will give me the ability to put a plastic padlock through. On the otherside of the pad lock (inside the case) I can secure the keys, though I am considering to tape them inside against the backplate, so they don't produce any noise when you lift up the safe.

With the ident where the lock is, there's sufficient room to bend the plastic lock with keys yet its out of reach.

Also, the safe is about the same thickness as 3 pockets but not as long, so I already looked that I can cut the middle of the books (don't know the english word for it, but its the part where all the pages join) off and also keep the front of the most right book and the back of the most left book to fully cover the safe. The height is also slightly less than the pockets so you don't see that part either.

The quality of the safe is sufficient. Nothing I would trust valuables with because it is definitely not going to protect against a fire, and the metal can be cut through with the proper tools, but when it comes to security by obscurity, this does it well, especially after I am done modifying it with my Donald Ducks. I'm pretty sure no one will see there's a safe there even if they're looking at it while its in the shelf unit.

So I've solved my problem. My security backup key will be in a safe locked. The key to the safe is on the front, but it is secured by a plastic padlock. In order to use that key to open the safe, I have to break the padlock first, then use the key to open the safe. The safe will hold all my backup keys (yes it are more than one) meaning that I can now use the normal set of keys to secure the chastity device on me, then put that set of keys in my kSafe, put it away for 10 days and I really will be locked up for 10 days. But in case of an emergency I can take some effort to get to the backup keys, but that does mean destroying one of the plastic padlocks which have a security identifier.

Also, the safe came with 2 keys. Its 2nd key is locked inside the safe at the moment. If I find a keyholder, she'll get that second key and possibly the normal keys too, or she'll put them in the kSafe, depending on how close we are. For example, if we don't yet live together, she could lock me up for a few days this way.