Showering While Bound

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
trepxe

Showering While Bound

Post by trepxe »

Question about leather and soapy water:

I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge on showering while wearing restraints. I would like to wear my leather restraints while showering but Im not sure if the soap or hot water will ruin the leather. Im not worried about the locks getting wet. Master locks are left outside and they work fine.

I would ultimately like to wear my leather gag, leather hood, leather wrist and ankle restraints, and my leather body harness to help keep in a well placed vibrator from falling out. The gag wont be locked but the rest of the restraints will be since my gf will have the keys at work.

Any advice, tips, or problems with this scenario would be greatly appreciated.
thatthat21

Re: Showering While Bound

Post by thatthat21 »

Yes, rain can damage most leather;leaving water spots, fading the dye, and stretching it out, unless it's been treated with a protective coating, like scotchguard. Deerskin is one of the only leathers that doesn't seem to be affected by water, although if will eventually stretch out, over time, regardless.
https://www.quora.com/Can-rain-damage-l ... of-leather
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

it also depends whether it is real leather or "leather".

Especially the combination of water and soap is something that I'll keep my leather away from.

When that is said, there is a significant risk in bathing while wearing restraints that reduce your mobility.
People slip in the shower all the time, and if you can't move to maintain your balance or end up taking a hands-free fall, you could get really badly injured.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

How your leather items will handle this treatment depends on what leather they're made from and the sort of pre- and post-care they receive.

Top grain and full grain leathers are substantially more durable in water than anything made from splits (what's left once the top grain is removed... a softer, spongier portion of the hide) or bonded leather (basically scraps shredded and reconstituted to make "leather"). High quality leathers made for outdoor and especially equine use -- specifically bridle, harness, and latigo -- offer great durability to water. Conditioning prior to use in water with an oil-based treatment that claims to be water resistant, and again after to restore oils to the leather, will let quality leather go through many shower without ill effect (Mr. S, Posey, and Sinvention, as opposed to Stockroom and Pakistani eBay sellers). On the other hand, nothing will protect cheap leather.

You are much more likely to have problems with the hardware. Most bondage gear, even the good stuff, uses nickel plated or chromed steel. You'll find that it is inclined to rust with surprising ease. You can be diligent about getting things dry, but IMO after a couple of showers you'll be seeing rust no matter what you do.

You might consider buying some dirt cheap eBay bondage gear for this play, with the intention of replacing every couple of showers. Just hang it up to dry afterwards, until it fails or rusts too much to use again.
RADER123

Post by RADER123 »

Any mettle bondage gear like cuffs and leg irons can be dried,
then sprayed with a product like W-D-40.
That prevents rust very well.
But you have to wipe that off well as the petroleum base of
the product could irritate the skin.
Rader
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

That's true. WD-40, while nasty, does displace water and will prevent metal from rusting. I understand that this is not what Rader meant but to be clear, don't let WD-40 contact leather. It -- and other petroleum products -- will degrade leather quickly.... vegetable and animal (i.e. Neatsfoot) oils only on leather.
MSpike

Post by MSpike »

trepxe,

You may have to use a different set of gear. Nylon rope or straps will make a good body harness and cuffs, and metal or even plastic chain can be locked on wrists and ankles. I second the warning about keeping reasonable mobility; a simple slip can be dangerous if you can't catch yourself. If you want strict bondage in the shower, have your GF tie you up and hose you down.
trepxe

Post by trepxe »

Thanks for the input. I wouldnt be in strict bondage. Just a body harness and cuffs and a collar. I was thinking of making locking cuffs out of rope. Weave something up with the knots inside. Also so I cant untie them, use a kneedle and thread and stitch the knot up. Then use locks and chains. I also enjoy tying a karada on myself.

I also like the idea of my gf tying me hogtied in the tub and she can play with the extra shower head on a hose and spray me with warm and cold water. Maybe wash me down a bit.
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

maybe try some rubber wrist and ankle cuffs? would be completely waterproof, except for the buckles.

sub-shop has a decent selection of them.

https://www.sub-shop.com/collections/ru ... ndage-gear
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!