Timed padlocks

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
contrapunktus

Timed padlocks

Post by contrapunktus »

A timed padlock seems like something this forum would be interested in..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ti ... r-a-period

21 days until the Kickstarter ends but they have a long way to go.
Tenderfoot88

Re: Timed padlocks

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

Hmm. In terms of safety....
1: It comes with a bypass key for more traditional release
2: If it's locked when it fails, it stays locked without the key or new batteries.

Also, I'd be somewhat concerned that the manufacturer apparently doesn't know the difference between centimeters and millimeters. He claims the cable it comes with is 6 centimeters in diameter, but the pictures clearly are not using a 2 1/4 inch cable.

Personally, I'd prefer to work with electromagnets. They fail off, and are much more customizable - you can rig it up to a panic switch or something rather than having to rely on a key drop as backup. (The fact that the key is going to fall in 1 hour doesn't mean much when there's fire coming through the walls.) Though I can see this being a viable choice for people who aren't electronically savvy (and lack the confidence to teach themselves).
Ano

Re: Timed padlocks

Post by Ano »

It's a shame that one never came to life. But for us the battery will always be a big concern. Remaining in handcuffs because of it could be fatal.
But i made some google search, and found a good looking alternative.
http://www.technologytell.com/apple/139 ... h-padlock/

Opens if our phone is around and bluetooth is one.
On sony phones it's a basic function to tell the phone when turn things off or on. So it looks good.
Probably we should skip the secondary unlock method.

There's at least two more similar, one of them is very professional looking with an electric key which can be timed from a computer, and the other was a more simple bluetooth one.