Battery AND Mains power

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
FatherOfFour

Battery AND Mains power

Post by FatherOfFour »

Hi,
This is experience mixed with day-dreaming, so please be kind...

I've read _all_ safety section and it looks like is always about battery versus mains. I tried something very easy (for those already able to link a battery and a coil/solenoid):
- take one industrial relay{*} (contactor) about 20-25USD
- power it from mains (if it's for 24/48V, then from transformer, no rectifier needed)
- link it in line with Your battery - with it's NO (Normal Open) contacts: easy to do, there are screw connections, no Weller needed

This is all for the usual electromagnetic SB-er.
For advanced user, You could also link Your Inter-phone, alarm system, motion detection - Your choice of safety/emergency release

What would You gain:
- battery operated devices (and galvanic separation from mains)
- freedom when sh*t happens (and there are places with lots of it...)

Why I did it: when mains are off, I have to tend for my servers/mining equipment/etc, so work takes precedence over kink... (this is my nature...)

==============
{*} This is the most important part: industrial relays have more than four inches of space (and Bakelite) between mains coil and contacts, so not even lighting could jump to Your side of circuit. Still anxious? use a pricier one, designed for Higher Voltage (>>100kV). But it's overkill as You should stay at least one feet away from any metal (or even wood, if damp) in Your house.