Panic button

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Slippers

Panic button

Post by Slippers »

Hello everyone.

I'm not ready for true bondage (I think I will never be). If I'm to be bound I want a way to instantly release myself in case something bad happen (even if that removes the thrill of truly being helpless). I don't handle panic well, if I panic I know I won't be able to do something as simple as using a key to unlock myself :oops:

I wish I could have one of those big red emergency buttons they use on industrial systems. If used with electromagnetic cuff, pressing it would mean instant freedom. Except I can't press the button if I'm bound.

Do you people use such systems ? What would you recommend ?
lj

Re: Panic button

Post by lj »

we all use some kind of safety release, anyone who doesn't is a fool !

Where we differ is the extent to which we worry about risk.

When I did self-bondage, I always used an ice release as part of the bondage, ice always melts. I took the view that provided I didn't mess around with fire, or candles, and turned off any hot electrical things like kettles and cookers, the house was unlikely to catch fire, so the risks were centred on my health. I never used gags that filled the mouth so I was unlikely to choke, and I am in good health with no history of heart problems. But I still managed to fall over and break a couple of ribs whilst in bondage.

Obviously any bondage restricts freedom of movement. But a pair of handcuffs (in front of the body) doesn't stop an escape from pretty much any situation. Similarly a short ankle chain, or both. Problems only arise if the restraint fixes you in a place - handcuffed to the bed, for example.

So, try this sort of restraint and get used to the idea.

I occasionally suffer from panic attacks, not in the BDSM context, and know how scary and overpowering it is. I'd suggest the OP does bondage with a partner rather than alone, if the bondage includes being fixed to something.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hi,

in more than 35 years of selfbondage I've never done anything that relies on an external release. I love to struggle against my bonds - but that last knot is always in reach. When using metal restraints there are always two sets of keys at hand. Well, and for real emergencies I do live with real people who know of my obsession.

Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

I like my bondage to at least feel inescapable. If I can just reach for the key or untie the knot, it just doesn't feel right.

I have had an ice release fail me once. My standard ice release is an ice cube, with a piece of cotton wrapped around it, supporting a key. Place ice cube on a plate out of reach, key dangling where it can drop free. It's basically impossible to fail.

Until one places it above the shower for a little wet bondage, and the key has swung against the shower while being placed and adhered to the glass. Fool proof? Nope, we fools are much too ingenious for that...
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Use leather cuffs, and attach them with carabiners or panic snaps.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_snap
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
TheWingmen

Post by TheWingmen »

Sir Cumference wrote:Use leather cuffs, and attach them with carabiners or panic snaps.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_snap
Very similar to these are snap shackles, we use them for sailing so we can release a line under load if need be. Also because they are often used for sailing they can carry massive loads without jamming/bending/etc and still release!
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 11.46.00 PM.png
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

TheWingmen wrote:Very similar to these are snap shackles, we use them for sailing so we can release a line under load if need be.
you're telling me that snap shackles have a use outside of bondage?
What a big, colourful world we live in :mrgreen: :twisted:

Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

CaptainJoe wrote:
TheWingmen wrote:Very similar to these are snap shackles, we use them for sailing so we can release a line under load if need be.

Joe.

Reminds me of a clip from a reality show, where one of the young ladies participating was surprised to find out, that the police carried handcuffs. She hadn't considered that they had other uses than "recreational purposes".
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Sir Cumference wrote:
CaptainJoe wrote:

Joe.

Reminds me of a clip from a reality show, where one of the young ladies participating was surprised to find out, that the police carried handcuffs. She hadn't considered that they had other uses than "recreational purposes".
What's really scary is that this is a reality show... :shock:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

I have scissors tied on 1 meter long rope that is always at hands reach. Rope end tied to same place as my wrist, and taken care that floor is clear for scissors to move. Cutting 1 rope with that would free myself. But so far i've never had to cut anything.

Binding itself is "half-spreadeagle" on bed. Hands by sides and legs spread. Hood on with rope going from its top side to the beds top side. So there isn't much of movement possible. Left wrist is attached to a ice release that will after melting automatically set the arm loose. That is just a home made ice-cube with 2mm thich looped rope attached. (It's melting over a plastic box, no water mess to clean.)
Fred Canty

Post by Fred Canty »

ruru67 wrote:I like my bondage to at least feel inescapable. If I can just reach for the key or untie the knot, it just doesn't feel right.
I agree. I suggest that "emergency button" be set up with a punishment. Pain for example. But also, if you live downton, in a building, it's possible to build a emergency release method that also throws a significant amount of money (bills) away. Not only it will prevent you to use the method whenever you want but also it will make a random person happy.