Backup release? But...

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Veronica

Re: Backup release? But...

Post by Veronica »

bitcoins, you could just delete the wallet.dat containing them and they're irrecoverably gone. that is, assuming you delete them with a file shredding deletion tool to prevent restoring the file
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Honestly, I don't find the destruction of something as ephemeral as money to be much of a deterrent. I'd much prefer to have to destroy something beautiful, like a vase or statuette (particularly one of a pretty girl!) to get out. Money wouldn't have the same emotional effect, even if the actual value was greater.

Making a serious mess also seems like a pretty good deterrent too.
cnske

Post by cnske »

You have a point, ruru67. Whatever rocks one's boat, I guess. For me, losing money can become quite painful as well, it is just a question of the amout.
Using electronic cash has great potential for miniturization. The paper shredder setup is a bit too bulky and complicated - i. e. error prone.

Regarding bitcoins - I don't know... There are significant fees involved when changing bitcoins to official currency. Plus, we all don't know for how long that is going to be legal.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Well then, my first post, thus: "Hello everybody" :hi:

I'm very unsure whether there's a possibility to program a suitable script for this, but an option for the loss of money could be a script that simply transfers a certain amount of money from your bank account to whatever charity organisation you'd prefer.

That script should only be started by the use of your backup release of course. So in case you run your session 'til the end you can simply shut down the program without having it transfer anything, in case you don't you'll get a little poorer with the surplus of having helped others...

Just an idea, don't know if it's possible to implement. Maybe one of the software-geniuses (is that the correct plural form?) can provide help here?
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

welcome aboard,
Blacky wrote:
I'm very unsure whether there's a possibility to program a suitable script for this, but an option for the loss of money could be a script that simply transfers a certain amount of money from your bank account to whatever charity organisation you'd prefer.

That script should only be started by the use of your backup release of course. So in case you run your session 'til the end you can simply shut down the program without having it transfer anything, in case you don't you'll get a little poorer with the surplus of having helped others...

Just an idea, don't know if it's possible to implement. Maybe one of the software-geniuses (is that the correct plural form?) can provide help here?
basically, meaning software speak, this would be "a piece of cake", but you would have to trust the author implicitly to not
"misuse" your bank data.

you know, the members here who write SB-proggies are real enthusiasts, but it is YOUR money you would entrust them with.
[
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Considering the safety of data:

If the script is more or less piece of cake, as you said, wouldn't it then be an option to keep the details of the account outside the program and simply set it up in a variable?

Then again there might be some kind of "mail the details to the programmer" part inside the script, I agree. The idea might actually raise more problems than it solves.

Open source code still needing to be compiled could solve the problem, or am I mistaken?
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
cnske

Post by cnske »

Of course I have given the it a tought or two, whether a bank transfer is possible. However as it is specifically the intention of banks to _prevent_ unwanted automatic money transfers in online banking, this proves difficult. I know of no money transfer program/mechanism available to a private person that can be made to work fully automatic without any further human intervention. Or do you?

I'd be easy to setup a bank accout that only contains the forfeit in order to separate it from your other funds and to minimize the risk that the programmer will misuse the data.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

It just strikes me that you obviously have spent some one or two thoughts more on it than I had. For instance I did not see the problem of having to "state your ok" to every transaction.
This really takes my thinking back to the beginning. From where I shall start again...

I'll be back 8)
MrOgre

Post by MrOgre »

I always use another person as my backup safety release. I find people, when they know you might possibly be in danger, are often more reliable than my knowledge of physics and engineering. Without knowing I am in danger, people are less reliable than my knowledge of physics and engineering.
boundsissy

Post by boundsissy »

A lot of great ideas here. Don't forget - oils, solvents, glue removers - most of them are flammable. One of my favorite methods is a large bucket of ice water. You wont damage much, but you wont like it either. It will sure get you moving to get that key. :wink:
LOVE TO ALL
black hood

Post by black hood »

I've used one of these bow links as a safety break
http://www.bosunbobs.com/Models.aspx?Mo ... tAodYkcA3w
Drill out the threads so the pin can slide in/out without needing to be unscrewed. Restrain the pin with a single piece of cotton so it doesn't just drop out.
Have a 5kg dumbell on a nearby table and attach eye of the pin to the dumbell by a short string then, a long emergengy pull string to hand. Fit the bow shackle to headboard eyelet with pin eye pointing down so the weight can pull it free. position laptop where the dumbell would land as a deterrent :twisted:

Cheap, secure and quick acting but not dependable under load.

However, one of these Wichard shackles will release under load but they are way more expensive. The control line can be run back through the swivel eye so the direction of pull is correct for use any way up
AshleySub

Post by AshleySub »

I've been thinking about a scenario for a while, but I'm not sure how to set up the kind of backup release I'd want. Basically, I'd like to have a backup release that would do something humiliating if I used it, like sending out an embarrassing email or something like that. I'd like it to be something I'd really try to avoid doing, so I'd have to stay in bondage until the time release triggers, or accept the consequences of the backup release. I've read through the thread, and didn't see anything that would work well for me. Just having disgusting liquid dropped on me or my things isn't what I'm looking for.

I hope I explained that well enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do something like that?
AshleySub

Post by AshleySub »

Thanks for the link, but I'm not quite sure how I'd incorporate that into a backup release. Could you explain how it would work?

It looks like it could be pretty useful for a timed primary release though.
Tigg

Post by Tigg »

I know this thread is quite old, but I came accross it the other day and wanted to say that I found it a very useful read.

I want to explore true strict (i.e. can't escape until key is released) self bondage and have the opportunity to do so now, so i've been running experiments with the key in ice release as my main release (working out how much ice would be needed for x amount of time in bondage on average, stil running experiments to get to around a 2 hour duration but i'm getting there). I've been planning scenarios in my head and purchasing little bits and pieces needed.

However my main problem was what to use as a back up release should an emergency (fire etc) occur, and thanks to this forum I think I finally came up with my perfect emergency release. I want to use water because it's safer (as long as there are no electronics nearby) than oil etc in the case of a fire and also doesn't require much cleanup in the case of accidental spillage.

So my plan is to place a tub of water (empty 1kg butter tub) up on top of a wardrobe (option of adding ice to make it even less enticing), with string tied securely around it meaning i'd have to pull it down on top of me to get at the key that would be tied to string inside the tub (to prevent it going flying and getting lost/landing somewhere awkward). But that isn't enough of a deterrent, so I have also decided to put either a book or several books where the water would land (if I tie the other end of the tub string around the books so that were I to try to move the books out of harms way it would automatically trigger the tub falling this would prevent cheating). I love books and if I used the one i'm currently reading or worse the one my husband is currently reading I believe this would be a true detterent for me (having to spend money on a replacement book or explain I ruined my husbands book he's enjoying so much makes it even more unlikely i'd pull the string in anything but an emergency).

As a second back up I will have scissors nearby, there is no way i'd want to damage my gear with scissors unless necessary and as i'll be using a combination of rope, chains/padlocks and leather in the case of an actual emergency i'd want release to be as quick as possible, so unlocking padlocks or cutting leather and/or rope to be free quickly and get myself to safety would be good.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say thanks to people for sharing their techniques and share own, who knows it may help someone else looking for a good deterent. Now only time will tell if mine is truly a strong enough deterent for me ;)