Backup release? But...

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Natale

Re: Backup release? But...

Post by Natale »

Tigg wrote: Now only time will tell if mine is truly a strong enough deterent for me
That would be a strong deterrent for me, a most ingenious low-tech idea! :D Much better than a bowl of oil as that would make such a mess one might hesitate too long in a real emergency.

And if the water/books plan isn't a strong enough deterrent, the same principle could be used for any semi-valuable breakable object- a vase or small statue for example.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Or use urine instead of water?

(To some that would of course just be a bonus :shock: )
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Tigg

Post by Tigg »

Natale wrote:And if the water/books plan isn't a strong enough deterrent, the same principle could be used for any semi-valuable breakable object- a vase or small statue for example.
I thought about the idea of something breakable, but then considered that that might too have it's own inherent safety risks, for example getting glass or ceramic all over the floor when you may well be bare foot or even flying shards of smething sharp could cause injury. Though of course it would only be in the case or an emergency and in the case of an emergency it would certainly be a much lesser risk than remaining bound. And if it works for someone and enables them to remain safer then that is also good.
Sir Cumference wrote:Or use urine instead of water?

(To some that would of course just be a bonus :shock: )
Great idea, you've given me the next way to up the ante is water alone doesn't prove effective enough (urine would certainly not be a bonus for me).
Natale

Post by Natale »

You have a point about breakable objects, rolling around in bits of broken glass might not be an ideal emergency escape, and the level of deterrence may be too strong, possibly causing one to hesitate a few moments too many in a real emergency. :|

Urine could be a great idea. (And it would be no bonus for me either!) :shock:
OR- I've reconsidered vegetable oil as a reasonably strong deterrent: it's non-toxic and not particularly flammable, messy but not so messy one would hesitate to use that route for an emergency. As for whatever fire hazard it may present- if flames have already spread to your 'safety spot', then it no longer matters what is in the bowl.
dmichaelson

Post by dmichaelson »

Hey all ~

I run the CD Tray Release program (fantastic thing) on my laptop and my desktop, the latter being plugged into a UPS. I have a third release method: a cord going from my hand(s) to a set of keys to a can of paint with the lid loosened. I use latex paint on the emergency release. Being a water-based paint, it is non-flammable.

~ dcm
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

Or something like this...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-USB ... 36859.html

Could put a money bill into it, batteries in, wire a switch to it, instead of the switch on it, and have the key holding the switch off, remove the key, and it shreds the money.
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

G4K-DK wrote:Or something like this...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-USB ... 36859.html

Could put a money bill into it, batteries in, wire a switch to it, instead of the switch on it, and have the key holding the switch off, remove the key, and it shreds the money.
OUCH! that is brilliant. Or a series of high value paper money taped together. That would stop me from pulling the emergency release. How much money? How much is your life worth?
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

BornThisWay wrote: OUCH! that is brilliant. Or a series of high value paper money taped together. That would stop me from pulling the emergency release. How much money? How much is your life worth?
Your life is priceless, but how much is the convenience of getting out early worth? As a backup, it would only "hurt" if it was used to not save your own life. :D Or that is at least how I look at it.
Keyless

Re:

Post by Keyless »

A long time ago
Munching wrote: so what I do is if I need to use a second release it has nasty side affects.
This is my suggestion for an alternative to the bucket of nasty liquid emergency release. I have never liked that method as it has plenty of scope for an accident. I don't like the idea of destroying something, even in a desperate situation and you might be to reluctant to escape when you really need to. I think it is better to arrange some sort of punishment that fits the crime for an early escape.

The diagram shows a wooden horseshoe shape with small slots on the inside, near the open end. The horseshoe is the right size to accept a micro SD card in the slots, with the long dimension between the arms. Washers are fixed to one side (underneath in the diagram) to stop the SD card slipping right through. On the other side they have to be put on after the SD card is inserted. The closed end of the horseshoe is fastened to a fixed point by a light rope. Either you must not be able to reach it or you must not be able to remove the card once you are in bondage. There is a ring around the SD card, with a rope which goes to your bondage, so that you can release yourself by pulling the rope, breaking the SD card in the process (they are actually quite strong so you need to do a test, but the small capacity ones are quite cheap). Ideally, I think this should release you directly rather than allowing you to get a key. You might need some sort of hook or snap shackle to stop you pulling the rope accidentally, but you must be sure you can open this quickly and easily.

The SD card contains a file with a safe combination (photo or text). If you have not got the combination you are punished. For example, you could leave a copy of the combination at work or post it to yourself. You could use a combination lock, so that you have to try every combination if you haven't got the SD card. The safe might contain your car keys, so you have to walk or cycle to work. Perhaps it could contain the key to your underwear drawer, leaving you only a choice of very uncomfortable thongs dusted with itching powder for the following day. You could put your internet router in the safe so no internet until you can get the combination (or another router). I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities. It would be interesting to hear any ideas.

If you use a long combination you can probably use the device several times before you can remember all the numbers.

As usual, test it carefully to make sure there is no way the device can get into a position where you can't pull the rope to get free. I should say I haven't actually tried it myself as Mistress K is in control these days, so I don't need it.
Attachments
SD card holder 4.jpg
SD card holder 4.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 11170 times
ilikepain

Post by ilikepain »

Or you could do something that's simply costly (and possibly inconvenient). How about tieing the string to a laptop. My Mac cost nearly £2,000. If I put that in a high shelf and it meant I had to pull it to the floor then it would surely smash. Also highly inconvenient as then without a computer until it's fixed or replaced. It would surely need to be life or death for me before pulling the key over!! :lol:

Slightly less expensive I have just bought a locking safe. It's made of very thick plastic so in and emergency it can be broken with a hammer. However that's £45 down the drain. I haven't tried this yet but will do. I will put the key in the safe and keep a hammer too. Probably tied to it so it can't fall out of reach. :twisted:
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

This thread is quite old, but since its a sticky, here is my contribution :)

I am a big fan of 5 point bed restraints, especially Segufix which i use for self bondage. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Segufix, it is a set of hospital type restraints that is used to strap unruly patients to the bed. It is also completely INESCAPABLE, by that i mean it is impossible to wiggle your way loose or to physically tear open the harness. You also need a magnetic key to unlock the lock, so there are no knots that can be untied. This means that once i am strapped down and the last lock clicks in place, THERE IS NO CHANCE IN HELL WHATSOEVER TO ESCAPE.....and believe me i have tried to wiggle my way out multiple times, but to no avail. When i was inexperienced, i used to have a knife next to the bed as a backup release, however in order to truly achieve that tremendous sense of excitement i decided to ditch the knife and now i only use ice locks as a release method. I also use a diaper to relieve myself.
So how is it possible to stay (relatively) safe when doing inescapable self-bondage? Well.....here are my thoughts:

1. I always do a dry run before use
Remember to test the equipment, especially the release method to check if it works

2. Strangulation is what kills you
This means that you should avoid any type of restraints above shoulder height. Remember, its also easy to lose control during a session, i dont know about you guys, but i like to have FUN during a session, this means that i like to wiggle against the restraints and perhaps try to escape (even though i know its impossible). When doing this kind of physical activity its easy to suddenly wiggle in such a way that you have a rope or harness around your neck.

3. Keep DIY to a minimum, professional equipment is safer
I have seen a lot of setups where people have built their own equipment. Often these types of setups consists of rope, shackles, wooden planks etc. If you are a really handy person then this is not a problem by itself, however lets face it, must of us arent. A homemade setup with lots of ropes can be dangerous if you accidentally get a rope around your neck. Ropes can also cause bruises on your skin or even cut circulation. I recommend that you spend that money on professional equipment

4. I always make sure that i am completely strapped down
Wait...what? How is this gonna improve safety?!
As mentioned i only use Segufix for self-bondage. Segufix was originally designed to keep unruly patients completely tied down, this to prevent them from endangering themselves or others. In other words, when used correctly i cant do anything foolish or cause any accidents. As i said, I like to wiggle, bounce up and down and generally having fun. On one occasion i accidentally managed to bump my head into the wall and it hurted like hell, but that was because i didn't wear the shoulder restraints at the time. So now i always apply the straps correctly and tighten them to make sure i am totally strapped down. So regardless of my behaviour i know for a fact that i cant hurt myself. This also adds a little extra spice to the self-bondage, i get a feeling of safety, and that the restraints are actually protection me from everything that can go wrong

5. Use more that 1 release

This has been mentioned earlier, i use 2 different ice locks. 1 for each hand, The first lock release after 8 hours, the second after 12-14 hours

So whats the worst that can happen?
Well, if we exclude all risks that i cant control (Sudden heart attack, house hit by meteorite etc.), the worst case scenario is the ice locks fail to release, However that is highly unlikely. So far i have never had any failures what so ever. If the first lock should fail, then second lock should release after a few more hours, of course it would be a little bit scary, but i assume i will just shrug it off and think "hey, a little bit more bondage then i ordered, but no big deal". If BOTH locks should fail, well then i will be truly stuck with no way of getting out. However, that may not necessarily be a threatening situation, You see, the Segufix is designed for long term use, it does not restrict breathing and circulation, it is soft to the skin and it will not by itself cause any harm to the user. If such a scenario should occur i will simply lie there on the bed and stare at the ceiling until someone finds me. (i am fairly certain that i will be rescued within a day or so, so starving to death is not something i consider as a risk). I will be embarrased, annoyed and probably have stiff limbs and a really dirty diaper. However it will not kill me
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Sandman wrote:This thread is quite old
There is never a bad time to discuss safety, or to remind us of old guidelines, and come up with new ones. So thanks for that.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Natybound

Post by Natybound »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:
Sandman wrote:This thread is quite old
There is never a bad time to discuss safety, or to remind us of old guidelines, and come up with new ones. So thanks for that.
Totally agree. I think when we are in selfbondage we must be aware that we should not put ourself in a possible danger position. In selfbondage I think there is no way to be completely helpless. No matter how much we want to feel in that way, we must not put in risk our safety by making things more complicated than they should be. If you want to be trully bound and gagged then find a partner (a reliable one please :lol: ) to help you feel how you wish. I think there is no other safety way to do this. :)
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

To name a few ways to make self bondage somewhat inescapable : Hide the backup key inside an object you would not want to break, hide a back up key where you may be seen by neighbors hobbling through your yard in an embarrassing situation (better to go out at night), or the key is inside a container filled with a liquid that would be damaging to your floor, or be difficult and time consuming to clean.
These ideas help to overcome boredom and any desire to be prematurely released. But if your life depends on escaping right away, ruining something will not out weigh a fire for example, that you must escape.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Natybound

Post by Natybound »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:These ideas help to overcome boredom and any desire to be prematurely released. But if your life depends on escaping right away, ruining something will not out weigh a fire for example, that you must escape.
Maybe I'm a safety freak, but don't you think a person in that dangerous situation might be too scared to get free of his bonds? :?: