Alternative Release Method - [TCR] 'The Candle Release'

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
soleus

Post by soleus »

Here's an idea (which I haven't thought about too hard yet, so may be a stupid one) - instead of using a candle, use an electric lightbulb to melt the wax. Melting temperature of most waxes is only ~60 C (obviously, test this first) so much less risk of it setting fire to anything. Especially if you ensure there's a metal drip tray underneath to protect anything flammable.

Obviously if the power goes out you'll be looking for the backup release.
SmartGuy202

Post by SmartGuy202 »

I'd also suggest using a florescent bulb. Incandescent, though cheap, is too unreliable for something like this...
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

:?: Would a fluorescent bulb generate enough heat to melt wax? None of mine do - at the very least none reach 60 C on the "finger thermometer".

That's a little trick I learned from an electronically inclined acquaintance: if you put your hand or finger on something hot and draw it away immediately because it's too hot, it's 60 C or higher. If you can hold it there, it's less than 60 C.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

bound_jenny wrote::?: Would a fluorescent bulb generate enough heat to melt wax? None of mine do - at the very least none reach 60 C on the "finger thermometer".
Which then draws the question what temperature does wax change states from solid to liquid? And, is that pure 'white' wax, or does that include colored waxes too (different materials coloring the wax can occasionally effect things not limited to melting point)

And...keep in mind where the wax is dripping unless that's part of your goal :wink:
-Missing In Action-
--May or May Not Return--