Dealing with the Heat

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Xler25

Dealing with the Heat

Post by Xler25 »

I've always wondered how everyone handles self-bondage when it's hot outside. Do you all take safety precautions? What do you do? Do you try anything creative, or do you avoid the idea altogether?
Gregovic

Re: Dealing with the Heat

Post by Gregovic »

I think this depends entirely on your definition of hot outside :)
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Xler25

Post by Xler25 »

Let's say 90s, bordering on 100, with lots of humidity.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

(Aside, for those of us using real world units that would probably be 35 to 37 degrees Celsius :mrgreen: )
Maybe something light while naked and out of the sun, but those sort of temperatures are just killer for me. I´m definitely not the sort of person that enjoys warm temperatures. 25 Celsius is sort of the comfort limit for me. Anything over that is just too warm. Anything over 30 is just "please kill me now". (That'd be 77 and 86 Fahrenheit)
Xler25

Post by Xler25 »

*Writes note to remember to use the metric system on forum*
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Temperatures really matter on the geolocation. If during summer the temperature usually gets to 35 degrees C, you're likely going to be able to take the heat more and enjoy it more.

Here in the Netherlands, the comfort zone is much lower because we don't have long sunny days, so on average people here prefer temperatures between 23 and 28. I'm half indonesian so for me 28 is nice, but I can take 32 degrees C too. I've once worked outside in 37 degrees and that was near my limit. A pause every 30 minutes to get some drink was required, but otherwise I could take it.

Indoors its a totally different story though. If the temperature goes over 27 degrees, I will be able to be in the room, but I so much prefer to be outside. Let alone sleeping... xD

However, with the temperature indoors is above 24 degrees, I prefer to be naked anyway. XD
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Xler25 wrote:*Writes note to remember to use the metric system on forum*
Use whatever units you feel comfortable with. I just like ribbing people who use Fahrenheit. Don't know why. Doesn't really matter much to me as far as temperature units go. As an engineer I absolutely detest the Imperial system for length units though. Too confusing to begin with and way too easy to get unit mix-ups.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Two words: air conditioning. :mrgreen:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
lj

Post by lj »

remember your body requires free air movement to maintain the correct temperature - I recall a guy here wanting to use a fan to keep himself cool whilst fully encased in latex. You can't sweat in latex (or any other waterproof material) so there is a real danger of overheating uncontrollably whilst in bondage. Similarly using efficient sleeping bags as a bondage method has the same potential for a bad result.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
davisev5225

Post by davisev5225 »

Just yesterday (Monday), it was 116 in Freedom Units* (46.7°C; 319.8K; 575.7°R; 32°Rø) here. My A/C was set to 78 Freedom Units* (25.6°C; 298.7K; 537.7°R; 20.9°Rø), but couldn't actually cool the house because of the extreme heat outside. It just kept creeping warmer and warmer inside, and peaked at 84 Freedom Units* (28.9°C; 302K; 543.7°R; 22.7°Rø).

Moral of the story: don't trust your A/C. Trust a reliable thermometer. If temperatures are near your comfort limit for physical activity (such as exercising), don't do bondage.

*Freedom Units are fahrenheit in the USA. :P
Last edited by davisev5225 on 22 Jun 2016, 11:42, edited 4 times in total.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Gregovic wrote:
Xler25 wrote:*Writes note to remember to use the metric system on forum*
Use whatever units you feel comfortable with. I just like ribbing people who use Fahrenheit. Don't know why. Doesn't really matter much to me as far as temperature units go. As an engineer I absolutely detest the Imperial system for length units though. Too confusing to begin with and way too easy to get unit mix-ups.
We have all sorts of perverts here - metric ones, imperial ones... though I haven't seen anyone use cubits yet (Sir Cumference uses hamsters - for any measurement... length, volume, weight... and then he claims he's the only normal guy on the board... :? :mrgreen: ).

Now a Dutch metric pervert, that's really hard to beat. :P :P :P

But seriously, why anyone complains anymore escapes me. There are phone apps and computer programs that do all the conversion work in a flash. It's like having a slave do it for us. Relax and enjoy the fun that you're at least dominating something! :rofl:

Jenny.
davisev5225

Post by davisev5225 »

bound_jenny wrote:There are phone apps and computer programs that do all the conversion work in a flash. It's like having a slave do it for us. Relax and enjoy the fun that you're at least dominating something! :rofl:
Google will do it right from the search page. Try it! Google "78f to c" and get a neat little converter right at the top of the page. ;)
kristy_ts

Post by kristy_ts »

Drink Plenty of Fluids and what Jenny said .. Air Conditioning
gemt

Post by gemt »

For reference, it reached almost 300 here today (Kelvin, the only absolute measure).
For me the humidity is the killer. I can take a lot more with a breeze and dryness.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

gemt wrote:Kelvin, the only absolute measure
That's Lord Kelvin to you... :mrgreen:

You're right about the humidity. That can really flatten me. Air conditioning dries out the air and a fan circulates it.

Or a couple of slaves with those big feather fans for when I'm on my throne. :hi:

Jenny.