The IMSAFE checklist

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Gregovic

The IMSAFE checklist

Post by Gregovic »

One of my other hobbies is flying gliders/sailplanes. Like performing selfbondage this is an activity that requires focus, preparation and attention before, during and possibly even a bit after the event. One of the main checklists used by pilots in any field of aviation is the IMSAFE checklist:

Illness - Are you suffering from anything that might affect your well being?
Medication - Are you taking any medication that could impair your abilities in any way?
Stress - Is there anything else pressing on your mind that could distract you?
Alcohol - Did you drink any alcohol within the last 8 to 24 hours and how is it affecting you?
Fatigue - Have you had enough sleep?
Eating - Have you eaten sufficiently to sustain you for however long is needed? Did you drink enough and are you well hydrated?

I think this checklist applies equally well to performing a self bondage session so I thought I'd share it here as many will probably have never heard of it.
Of course you will have to make your own judgement in what level you deem safe for each of these points, some might accept having a bit to drink, some might accept being boozed (Though I seriously don't think mixing alcohol and bondage is a good idea personally). If you are going to do a long session that is comfortable enough to catch some sleep you might accept being tired, but keep in mind how this affects you when you are setting up. You don't want to wake up from a nice nap to find out you left the ice release in the freezer :rofl: .
Stress is one of the things most people never consider when they are thinking about factors that could influence them. But they are actually one of the biggest factors in many incidents. People can handle a lot, but when things start piling up and they get too much on their plate things start falling through the cracks. So if you are stressed out at work, have a whole heap of things on the to-do list and feel a bit frazzled you might miss some of the details in your setup, or just plain not enjoy your session because your mind is wondering to all the "I should be doing x".

I hope posting this list here will make someone give another thought to their safety. Enjoy yourself but be safe (from hurting yourself beyond what's intended anyway :whip: )
Last edited by Gregovic on 22 May 2016, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
bound_jenny

Re: The IMSAFE checklist

Post by bound_jenny »

Thank you for sharing this with the community. It is among the most reasonable and rational posts about safety that I have read here.

I believe that as a pilot, you are uniquely qualified to know about making sure everything is safe and secure before you go up there.

Again, thank you.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Good post, and the points you make apply to a lot of other situations too.

Now we just need to find out, where to enter "horny" in the equation?
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Sir Cumference wrote:Now we just need to find out, where to enter "horny" in the equation?
Under "Stress"? Being horny is quite a distraction... :wink: :idea:

In my opinion, that would fly... :mrgreen:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Well, from a human factors point of view, being horny would indeed factor into the stress category. It too can make you miss the details because you just REALLY want to get yourself stuck.

I should add there is also an amended version, IAMSAFE:
Illness
Alimentation (nutrition, hydration, etc)
Medicine
Stress
Alcohol
Fatigue
Emotion

In this amended version being horny would fall under the Emotion category. As would things like a recent death of a family member, or recently getting fired (although that ALSO fits into the Stress category). Basically any emotion that influences your state of mind and might make you miss details, not pay attention or make it hard to focus on the task at hand.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*