Bondage safety tips

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Cindy123

Bondage safety tips

Post by Cindy123 »

I am not preaching!!! but only want the members to play but keep it safe.
I have been doing self-bondage for a long time and would like to give you my advise (some learned the hard way).
I use chain,locks, handcuffs, shackles, etc because the bondage is real and wont cut off the blood flow if done correctly, I dont use rope because it can tighten and numb your hands and feet.
1) never tie anything around your neck.
2) when using handcuffs make sure the key hole is faceing your hands.
3) use locks that have the same key.
4) never use fire or elect in your sessions.
5)always use backup releases, never trust one release!!!!!!!!
6)if you going to use a gag, make sure you can handle it for the time you in bondage, (try first unbound for 2to3 hours).
7)wrap duck-tape around your wrists to cut down the chaifing.
8) dont chain your hands over your head for over 1 hour, the blood will drain from your arms and hands and your hands will become numb and you may not be able to handle the keys.
9)if you can, double lock the handcuffs so you dont tighten them in error.
10) dont cuff your ankles to tight (you wont be able to walk).
11) Before clicking that last lock in place make dam sure you checked everything at least three times.

In closing I know how exciting it is to dream up a new session, and when your horrny its not your brain thats thinking, its your cock or in my case its my cunt and you tend to rush into the scene, please stop for a second, and make sure your safe.

I am not your mother! but care abought you all, and would hate to see anyone hirt.
PLAY SAFE..............HAVE FUN
Cindy;-)
If your not playing on the edge, your taking up to much space...............................
Play safe and have fun...Now Where did I put that damn Key!!!!! ;-)
CINDY123@BAK.RR.COM
tyerrup

Amen

Post by tyerrup »

Amen Cindy!

I would change one thing that you said. Instead of duct tape, use some terry cloth wrist bands to protect your wrists instead, especially with handcuffs. Remember the 70's anyone? With the sweatband on the head and the two for the wrist? Well, you can still buy them at Big 5 and other places and they don't take much space in your dresser drawer, they look "vanilla" in case your family/friends see them and they really do help cut down on the dreaded comments from co-workers Monday morning such as "Why are your wrists all red?" :)
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Neat idea, yes you can still get them from tennis shops and sports shops in general too (in the UK).
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Cindy123

Post by Cindy123 »

Yea sounds like a good idea, I will put it to use on my next session. now if I can find somthing for my neck:-0
Cindy :oops:
If your not playing on the edge, your taking up to much space...............................
Play safe and have fun...Now Where did I put that damn Key!!!!! ;-)
CINDY123@BAK.RR.COM
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

Cindy123 wrote:Yea sounds like a good idea, I will put it to use on my next session. now if I can find somthing for my neck:-0
Darling, the terry cloth headbands fit about the neck as well. My preference is for bandannas, a totally yummy fetish of mine. Either of the above can take the edge off of metal restraints.
From the World of Anastasia
Darlings, bondage is so yummy!
Gabriel

Re: Bondage safety tips

Post by Gabriel »

Here's an excerpt from my e-book. Some of the tips overlap with the OP, but i think they're worth repeating. :wink:

1. Are you using new restraints? If so, practice unlocking them.
2. If you’re using handcuffs, make sure to double-lock them.
2a. The keyhole must always face your hands!
3. Do you have any drugs or alcohol in your system? If you do, don’t tie yourself – or do a mild tie with your hands in front. Do not use a gag.
4. Using a gag? Make sure to leave some slack so you can push it out with your tongue if you start choking.
5. Lock and unlock all your padlocks to make sure you have the right keys.
6. Test your release mechanism to make sure it goes off. If you can’t test it (block of ice, etc), set up a backup release mechanism.
7. If you put on a collar, make sure it’s not too tight.
8. No ropes, leashes or nooses around the neck! The only exception is a loose collar that’s not connected to anything.
9. Make sure you have an emergency key release.
10. Do not suspend or hang yourself.

Play safe and have fun! :gag: :hi:
Author of "Introduction to Self-Bondage" and "Nine Tales of Submission" - now available on Kindle! :)
bdsm984

Post by bdsm984 »

I kinda wonder why this isn't a sticky yet.. It's been here 2006, according to post-times. Those are some pretty good tips to follow through.
Especially testing new restraints prior to use in a full scenario would be vital. Everywhere you go, not knowing your equipment could prove to be dangerous (maybe not to yourself, per se).
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Another good tip would be to do all equipment testing and scenario reviews while not under the influence of hormones. Doing such things with a clear head helps a lot in finding any bugs in either the gear or the scenario. Something that might seem really, really exciting when horny could hide a problem that could be deleterious to one's health or life.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

^
Yup. Over on FetLife, a guy who was an expert in vacuum beds died because, apparently, he got too excited and decided to do some solo vacuum play... What makes it worse is that he was a very outspoken opponent of solo vacuum play. His partner was out of town and apparently the bed was set to her (much small) parameters. His neck was larger than hers and he suffocated... While not all of us have access to such advanced equipment, we can all do something profoundly stupid and equally lethal when the mood strikes. :(
Author of "Introduction to Self-Bondage" and "Nine Tales of Submission" - now available on Kindle! :)
SteelMan

Post by SteelMan »

A few extra safety tips:

Leave the keys immediately within reach whenever trying anything new or unfamilar. If unexpected things go wrong (and they will), then keys are your friends. The more circumstances that you duplicate from the intended bondage scene in your trial run, the better. If you intend to be bound overnight, do repeated overnight tests in similar but escapable bondage.

Test your release mechanism thoroughly, when you do not necessarily need it to succeed. If something goes wrong and the keys don't drop, it is only an issue if you are inescapably bound.

I always apply the 'Rule of Orgasm'. Right before an orgasm, almost everything bondage-related sounds like a great idea, and you are more likely to deviate from the verified safe plan. After an orgasm, the cravings for bondage are much less prominent, so you are much less likely to do something risky/stupid/lethal. That post-orgasm timeframe is a great safety filter for otherwise unsafe activities.

Keys and string get along quite well. If you are concerned about a key falling out of reach, put it on a string and tie the other end of the string to something within reach. Or in order to keep from losing the keys, tie the string either to yourself or to some convenient object. Even if you lose a key that isn't tied to something, a piece of string makes it much easier to find.
Life is like a set of shackles. They may be cold, restricting, and unforgiving at times, but you can still have loads of fun.
Maid_Lauren

Post by Maid_Lauren »

The short chain between handcuffs makes them hard to open especially when you have your hands cuffed behind your back. They are harder to remove if the key hole is opposite the wrists. You can make a longer key by taping a key to a pencil or clothes pin. Another thing to do is to cut the short chain and add a longer link. This gives you a little more room to find the key hole and in an Emergancy you can use a wrench or pliers to open the link. I really like having my hands chained to my waist and longer key lets me get free quicker.
sleeptight

Post by sleeptight »

No bondage is completely safe. The same goes for any activity from skiing to crossing the road. We can minimise the risk though so it is at an acceptable level. As mentioned before have a plan B. A plan C and plan D are also good ideas. The more ways out you have, the less the risk. Don't be naive though; Make sure that you think about single points of failure. If you have 100 ways of getting a key to undo a lock and the lock fails, then you have got a problem. The multiple escape methods must be completely independent of each other or at least inter linkable. 3 different ways of getting 3 different keys that all fit three padlocks makes the odds a lot more favourable, should something go wrong. As mentioned before, slowly add components of the bondage if it is complicated. Don't just jump in with 10 pairs of hand cuffs, a straight jacket and lots of 15mm cable ties, because you will come unstuck. Try a small bit, test it, see how it feels, check your blood can still flow to all appendages and that you can still breathe comfortably etc. Then add the next bit and so on.

If you can't or won't find a bondage partner, consider having a good friend who can be your back up buddy. Give them the keys to your house and let them know what yuo are doing. Tell them if you haven't contacted them by a certain time then you could possibly have a problem. Make sure they are available and willing to help first though. Also remember that bondage partners and back up buddies can also be a single point of failure. Don't stack everything on them. If something happens to them you again in trouble.

There's loads you can do to stay safe. Just be sensible and most of all have fun! :D
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Having got myself stuck this weekend (http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... 046#p74046) and forced to struggle to contact my friend I made a discovery I thought I would share. My friend pointed out that most modern mobiles have a 'Safety assistant' (or similar) feature, that allows you to set up a pre written text message and contact(s), this can be activated by a single key in an emergency. :)
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

I had to call on my emergency back up today because I had not thought to check my gear for faults! :o

I was wearing my waist harness with handcuffs attached at the sides, Ankle cuffs, (joined by 2" chain) and a leather hood. I have made an extended key using a Plastic Rod and standard handcuff key which makes releasing the right hand cuff relatively straight forward,I have used this with no problem on many occasions for about a year. This is where I made the error,I did not stop to consider that plastic degrades over time when subjected to stresses. When I examined it afterwards I could see some of the tell tale stress lines in the rod.

All went well until I put my home made key in the lock as i turned it to release the double lock, the shaft sheared and the key flew out and bounced away. Not to worry I also had a standard Hiatts extended key as a back up.This was on the arm of a nearby chair. But as I sat down and reached for it disaster struck I knocked the arm and the kery fell down between the arm and seat cushion where I could not reach it. :'( On to emergency back up and a long wait for them to arrive and free me. :-[

Moral regularly check your gear (including keys) before use!
Modify message
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Also, put your backups in a place where they can't get lost! If this had been a real emergency you could have been in real trouble.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.