behavior of links in threads

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
BornThisWay

behavior of links in threads

Post by BornThisWay »

It would be cool if when you clicked a link that someone put in their topic, it opened yhe link in a new window or tab, instead of navigating away from this site.
:hi:
lj

Re: behavior of links in threads

Post by lj »

the more technically educated will no doubt give a better explanation, but I understand that linking in the way you suggest increases the data burden on this site, which increases the cost of running the server, rather than pushing that extra burden onto the other site as happens now.

You may notice that there are no adverts on this site, the links to other sites help maintain the traffic and hence the search engine success rate, keeping BoundAnna high up the list for self-bondage (where it belongs!) but do not pay for the site costs - Anna does that out on her own generosity.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Sorry to inform you lj, but that's not true. All you need to do is add a target="_blank" to any link, and the forum remains open in another tab. I even think there is a mod for phpbb to do this, so there's little energy involved in getting it done.

Of course it is something Anna needs to do.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

lj wrote:the more technically educated will no doubt give a better explanation, but I understand that linking in the way you suggest increases the data burden on this site, which increases the cost of running the server, rather than pushing that extra burden onto the other site as happens now.
I would imagine the case is opposite. When you click a link normally and leave the boundanna page, it's gone from memory. When you press back or browse back to this site it is more traffic on loading the same page again. There is no traffic at all done to this site when opening external links with ctrl key held, or as he suggests automatically doing the same.
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

simply right click on the link and then open in new tab(or page if you wish)
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

tiemeupalso wrote:simply right click on the link and then open in new tab(or page if you wish)
That would work, but most websites already use the target: _blank for any link that is external. Its common practice really. As such, most people don't think twice of opening specific pages to a new tab, or they have a mod installed to make this always happen.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

:idea: Even simpler:

Ctrl+Click

Every browser has such a feature. You just need one extra finger (the pinky, for one, the same you use to press Shift).

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

yeah yeah, I know.. it's easy to right click or hit control.
most of the time I do that. every once in a blue moon I forget and have to click <back>
I just figured it would be easy to change and make the site better by 0.000001%
It's hard to find anything to complain about on a site like this one.
Love this site.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Sorry for being a bit late to this party.
Slave_L wrote:That would work, but most websites already use the target: _blank for any link that is external.
I agree, this is the way it should be. Unfortunately the PHPBB developers decided that links should open in the same window instead. Changing it would require hacking the code running the forum, something I am very careful with.

Opening links in a new tab/window on a computer is easy, all one have to do is to click the link with the middle mouse button. (The wheel is often the third mouse button, try pushing down on it.) Doing it on a phone or tablet is probably harder.
A glass of water longing for the ocean.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

anna wrote:...

Opening links in a new tab/window on a computer is easy, all one have to do is to click the link with the middle mouse button. (The wheel is often the third mouse button, try pushing down on it.) Doing it on a phone or tablet is probably harder.
on an ipad you just hold your finger on the link for at moment rather than tapping it. Then a "open in new tab"-box will appear.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Sir Cumference wrote:
anna wrote:...

on an ipad you just hold your finger on the link for at moment rather than tapping it. Then a "open in new tab"-box will appear.
Same goes for Android (proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet).

Jenny.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I think, in IE, for those that use it...
there is a setting to open new links in a new window...
No need to change the site...
But this will change the behavior of IE in all cases...
(at least I thought there was... maybe in older versions...)
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

What I said:
bound_jenny wrote::idea: Even simpler:

Ctrl+Click

Every browser has such a feature. You just need one extra finger (the pinky, for one, the same you use to press Shift).

Jenny.
That's confirmed for IE and Firefox. It will open the link in a new tab. I know that in Firefox, there's an option to switch to the new tab automatically.

No hacks, mods or other finagling (with program code as with anything else, if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Just a finger to press and hold that Ctrl key.

Jenny.
FatherOfFour

Post by FatherOfFour »

Sure,
but that finger (be it boy or girl - the owner) could be put to a better use!...
(while surfin' bondage webs)

Or maybe someone can't let go that [insert preferred body part or toy] that he or she is holding while watching those movies... You know which...

Or even You Jenny: I imagine that You might browse some pages of this forum while bringing into submission some lost soul hangin' on Your St Andrew's Cross. It would be difficult to let the whip down for being able to press the Ctrl key, not to mention the break in the rhythm:
wapush...wapush...click...wapush...

Have fun, browse wildly,
f4
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

I chose a more simple solution.

I just normally click the link and navigate away from bound-anna and in order to get back to it, I access it from my favorites, a one click press.

True, it sucks and generates more bandwidth, but so be it.