Help with circuit design? (Exercise bike)

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

onestrangeguy

Help with circuit design? (Exercise bike)

Post by onestrangeguy »

I like to call this device a Bicycle Trainer.

I know this isn't 'Software', but I didn't know where else to post it.

The idea is to put a person on a stationary exercise bicycle with their feet bound to the petals, and hands fastened to the handlebars.
Most of these bicycles have a main wheel, usually in front, that is turned by the petals. There is often a small adjustable wheel that presses on the larger tire creating friction to make pedaling more difficult.
There is usually a speedometer with an odometer attached to the main wheel to indicate speed and distance traveled. This is nice, but not necessary for my plan.
My objective is to force the rider to maintain a certain speed.
The penalty for not maintaining, or exceeding the desired speed would be a shock delivered by a device similar to a Ramsey Kits ‘Tickle Stick’.

What I envision is something like this:
There is a magnet attached to the main wheel that activates a reed switch with each revolution of the wheel. An alternate would be a micro switch tripped by an attachment to the wheel. In any case, we have a switch that closes (Or opens) with each revolution of the wheel.
The ‘brains’ of the outfit would be a 555 timer chip, configured to monostable mode.
Each time the switch closed it would reset the chip form switching to its default mode. This period would be adjustable with a variable resistor to set the desired speed of the exercise bicycle.
If the chip was not reset in time it would switch to its default mode and supply power to the shocking device.
But there may be a problem!
If the rider pedaled just below the desired speed the chip might go into default, but be reset so quickly thereafter that the rider would not, or barely feel the jolt.
To fix this a second 555 timer could be added, also in monostable mode.
The first timer would reset the second timer each time it went into its default mode, The second timer in it’s offset mode, would supply power to the shocking device in a nicely timed jolt even with a very short (Or long) trigger pulse from the first timer. This would also be a safety to prevent very long shocks if the wheel stopped for some reason, but a series of timed shocks would result from a slow spin of the wheel.

As you can see, I have a good idea of what I want. The problem is that even though this is a simple circuit I don’t have the expertise to lay out the initial design.
Can any one of you readers help?
Last edited by Sir Cumference on 10 Jan 2015, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Headline improvement
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
ernesto

Re: Help with circuit design.

Post by ernesto »

I have the solution to the first part of your problem in a notebook on my shelf, here's a scan of it.

The second part it very easy, tie the output of the first circuit to, like you said, a basic monostable circuit's input and the output of the second to a relay/mosfet.

Also, you could use a 556 instead of two 555s and instead of a reed switch, try a hall effect sensor.
Attachments
Image0001.JPG
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I had thought of something similar, but analog...
The wheel turns a small generator...
A battery powers the shocking device...
the generator biases a transistor or rather a Mosfet off...
If you pedal too slow, the Mosfet turns on the shocker based on how much too slow
you are...
If you pedal faster than the setting, no shock.
The safety would need a way to turn off the shocker if the generator output is 0...

Idea, but never built and tested...
I do believe, this is already done...
Search for "un-fitness trainer"... I think from Qwerty...
On his, a strap on the peddle slapped a keyboard to reset a counter....
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Hitmeup

Post by Hitmeup »

This could all be don't with a arduino and you could solve all of these offsides and if you felt like changing something or adding more torments or inputs you could just reconfigure it

I will bang some code up and all you would need is a ardunio and a relay board you could add random vib or every x amount of shock cycles something else or if the speed doesn't come up the shock could get added to
LoKiT
Retired Moderator

Post by LoKiT »

ernesto wrote:I have the solution to the first part of your problem in a notebook on my shelf, here's a scan of it.

The second part it very easy, tie the output of the first circuit to, like you said, a basic monostable circuit's input and the output of the second to a relay/mosfet.

Also, you could use a 556 instead of two 555s and instead of a reed switch, try a hall effect sensor.
Hi Ernesto

Just a minor observation of R2 in your circuit. If my school days memory serves me correctly (sometimes), you need an in line resistor to R2. As with the wiper at one end you can drop the power rail into pins 6, 7 and cook the transistor while your at it? Just a thought :idea:
ernesto

Post by ernesto »

LoKiT wrote:
ernesto wrote:I have the solution to the first part of your problem in a notebook on my shelf, here's a scan of it.

Hi Ernesto

Just a minor observation of R2 in your circuit. If my school days memory serves me correctly (sometimes), you need an in line resistor to R2. As with the wiper at one end you can drop the power rail into pins 6, 7 and cook the transistor while your at it? Just a thought :idea:
Excellent find, yes, you're right; 10k should be fine in-line. Maybe if I get the time I'll build it for fun.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Hitmeup wrote:This could all be don't with a arduino and you could solve all of these offsides and if you felt like changing something or adding more torments or inputs you could just reconfigure it

I will bang some code up and all you would need is a ardunio and a relay board you could add random vib or every x amount of shock cycles something else or if the speed doesn't come up the shock could get added to

I agree on this one.

Unless you are very cool at "classical electronics" a microcontroller and some code is much easier.

What is a "tickle stick"?
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Thanks for the circuit and all of your suggestions.

I had thought of sticking with simple electronics rather than a computer and a software solution because I'm old and more comfortable with hardware than software.

A tickle stick is a device, in this case a kit, offered my Ramsey corp. http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Ramsey ... B0002NRIOQ in this case it was originally intended to be configured as an innocuous looking box with a blinking light, sitting on a table. When someone picks it up they get a shock from it. The kit just includes the circuitry, not the box, so it can be configured however you like.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
Hitmeup

Post by Hitmeup »

the micro controller stands alone with out a computer once you upload the firmware to it you can unplug and never plug back in if you so choose
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Hitmeup wrote:the micro controller stands alone with out a computer once you upload the firmware to it you can unplug and never plug back in if you so choose
:roll:
That's understood. I'm a guy who started out before "Tab machines" (Predecessors to the room-sized mainframes) were popular. To me, anything that runs on electronic instructions (software or firmware) is still a computer. :lol: