Simple Electronic Lockbox

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

denwo

Simple Electronic Lockbox

Post by denwo »

Hi fellow bondage self explorers,

I'd like to share my first boundanna inspired project.

I had zero interest in electronics until I read this forum and boy did I get excited when I realised what a great dimension a bit of electronics knowledge could add to the game. I love apps like cd release but found them too restrictive (also my laptop cd tray mechanism doesn't suite the task).

Anyways, for my first project I bought a cheap, but strong, petty cash lock box and replaced the lock mechanism with a simple Arduino controlled servo. (A servo is simply a motor that rotates a set amount of degrees, in this case 0 degrees for open and 90 degrees for locked. I didn't know that last week, self bondage is very educational).

It's very basic (I knocked it up over a glass of wine earlier, perhaps two glasses ;) Anyways, the arduino is driven by a 9 volt battery so the box is portable. The code is super simple, right now the lock duration is hardcoded. I'll muck about some other time and add an LCD with a keypad so one can set lock time easily.

To use the lockbox, simply place your escape key (or whatever) in the lockbox, press the reset button on the Arduino and close the lid. It will then remain locked for the specified time.
It's portable so you can do outdoor play too :D

Components are:
1x Lockbox
1x Sparkfun small servo (ROB-09065) -- // I used this because it is simple to wire up directly to Arduino
1x Arduino board //any will do
1x 9v battery and connector //always use a battery with good charge else the box will stay closed
1x blue tack and cardboard to insulate the board and stop it moving

pics + code attached

Have fun!
Lockbox closed.jpg
Lockbox open
Lockbox open
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Sir Cumference

Re: Simple Electronic Lockbox

Post by Sir Cumference »

Thanks for sharing!

Code: Select all

#include <Servo.h>
Servo myServo;
void setup()
{
  myServo.attach(9);
  int lockTimeMinutes = 60;   //the length in minutes to remain locked

myServo.write(10); //Open the lock and wait 5 seconds before locking it
  delay(5000);

myServo.write(100);//Close the lock for specified number of lockTime Minutes
  delay(lockTimeMinutes*60000);

myServo.write(10); //Open the lock
}
void loop(){}
That is actually a very elegant code, I think!

I would draw out an LED to show the status, and maybe a "fail safe" feature making it unlock when the voltage goes too low?

(But I guess, that the servo is weak enough to let you pry open the lid with relatively little effort?)

I had zero interest in electronics until I read this forum and boy did I get excited when I realised what a great dimension a bit of electronics knowledge could add to the game
Indeed!
Need and lust are the mother and father of creativity!
(I miss the "dancing banana" smiley here)
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
uniboi

Post by uniboi »

I've recently very easily adapted digital lock safe into a timelock safe using an arduino. The good thing about a safe is it's pretty tough to get into!

I basically removed the electronics that drive the solenoid and replaced it with an arduino that only operated the solenoid once the timer is up.

Not sure if i should make it a bit more failsafe by making the lock release on battery loss (reversing the solenoid action)? probably should really. :)
denwo

Post by denwo »

(But I guess, that the servo is weak enough to let you pry open the lid with relatively little effort?)
Yeah exactly, which doesn't do it for me. I ended up attaching the servo directly to the innate metal locking mechanism. Upside is that it is now much more secure, without resorting to a sledge hammer you're forced to wait. . Downside is that some sort of failsafe becomes more necessary.

Uniboy is on the right track. A solenoid that retracts on power loss as a fundamental fail safe. I will go this route just need to find a suitable & fairly cheap box that will work with a solenoid.

I guess ultimately the box should have two ways to gain access. First one being the digital timer and the second a physical key. Where you place the key is your choice but at least there is a choice if the digital fails.

If you have any ideas on this or see a potentially suitable box pls share
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Around here, all the DIY shops also sell cheap steel boxes. (Prices are in DKK. Divide by 5 to get USD and 8 to get €)

They have a simple electronic code lock and a key back up.

It would be very simple to bypass the electronics, and let an arduino and a power transistor or MOSFET activate the solenoid.

Making it fail safe would be a little harder, but should be doable.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
uniboi

Post by uniboi »

This is exactly the sort of thing i've got/done.

At the moment the lock is not failsafe but I have a key that is put a long way away just incase.

It was really easy to make. Would be nice to make the solenoid failsafe to open without power.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

uniboi wrote:This is exactly the sort of thing i've got/done.

At the moment the lock is not failsafe but I have a key that is put a long way away just incase.

It was really easy to make. Would be nice to make the solenoid failsafe to open without power.
May we see a picture of how the innards of your box look, and how you modded it?
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Worried about the box staying locked due to loosing power...
Just add an external power jack...
this can be used to charge the batteries, but not open the box.
If you are near power, plug it in, if not use internal batteries...
Also, use 2 batteries, 1 for the Arduino, and a separate one for the solenoid...
And, from what I can tell from the pictures, the solenoid lock lever engages sideways...
so it is not the power of the solenoid to hold it locked.
and the key lock is separate, I don't think you can open the key lock with the solenoid engaged...
or open it with the solenoid with the key locked...
The key would need to turn the solenoid and the solenoid to turn the key lock...
As for a key that will rattle around inside the box with the bare electronics... build a foam liner
to cover all the "short-out-ables"...

But, looks very good...
Good work...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
denwo

Post by denwo »

Sir Cumference wrote
Those seem perfect, a key + electronic combo. I didn't realise they existed. Oooh I'm excited for a new project ;)

I'm going to go searching but if you have a link handy to those boxes pls do share.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

denwo wrote:Sir Cumference wrote
Those seem perfect, a key + electronic combo. I didn't realise they existed. Oooh I'm excited for a new project ;)

I'm going to go searching but if you have a link handy to those boxes pls do share.
Where in the world do you live?

They are a bit heavy for normal mail.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

I took some pictures of the inside of an electronic safe.

They got a thread of their own: http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... =28&t=8594