Wishing to learn programming again.

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

Hawkward

Wishing to learn programming again.

Post by Hawkward »

What programming language have you guys been using for the software shown here on Boundanna?

I realise this might be somewhat off-topic, but I was hoping the programmers here could give me a little input.

As of just now, I do have some minor experience from school in programming, but only going as far as Visual Basic. I was hoping to spend some of my free time to dive back into that, and look maybe creative very basic ideas to learn from that could relate to the ideas presented in the software available here - maybe starting off with a simple command prompt based tool, then move onto something more UI focused with features down the line.

I'm not wishing for any lessons, just really to be pointed in a recommended direction so I know what to start researching, and learning from independently.
My personal preference would be C++, seeing as I have friends that also use it for college work, though all advice is certainly welcomed.

Anyway, my apologies I've not been around much, I had a lot of real life situations crop up lately that, at the time, left me not really in the mood.
((something about my work experience relating highly to the death of a grandparent hasn't really been the most pleasant of times for me))
Dark_Lizerd

Re: Wishing to learn programming again.

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Yea, it really sucks when life get in the way of what you want to do...

As for me, DOS BASICs (yea, several different ones)
But now VB6, I got a free VB.NET, but haven't delved too deep into it, VB6 works for me...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
vincentio

Post by vincentio »

I would say, depends on what platform you work on.
On Mac, soon the new XCode will be final and available to everybody, hop into Swift. It's new, refreshing and due to the freshness quite some new articles can be found about it.
On Windows, well C# is probably the way to go. Newer than C++ and you notice it while programming. You can easily program for the Windows platform and there is just no better Development Platform than Visual Studio.

On Linux, guess the best option is either C++ or Java.
bdsm984

Post by bdsm984 »

If you want to get into developing in C++, I might advise you to work through some basics and also take a look at what Qt has to offer.
Qt allows the developer to write cross-platform GUI applications with a lot of OS-specific stuff neatly handled by their libraries.

You can find a C++ tutorial here:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

Lazarus using Freepascal is easily the language of choice for me. Same program compiles for all operating systems, Win, Linux etc. Simple installation and IDE for building with visual components. Pause while running for debugging, instant code completion makes writing fast too.

But if you plan on making something visual game-like, you should propably learn to use Unity with C#.
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

vincentio wrote:
On Linux, guess the best option is either C++ or Java.
I agree. If you're using Linux, download something like Netbeans Integrated Development Environment (IDE). It's free and will run on Linux (I only know for sure about Ubuntu). It will provide an environment for both the above languages (I think you have to make sure the C++ extension is present and the compilers). I find that Java is good for creating GUIs - Netbeans has a facility to add and position elements visually. It creates the code for you. The disadvantage of Java is that it can be decompiled (I've never tried, but thats what I understand). If so, it would be relatively easy to retrieve an encryption key so, if I want to write software containing an encryption key that I don't know and don't want to be able to get at, I use C++.

If you're using Windows I guess Visual C++ of C# might be better, but I've never tried them. Netbeans will run on Windows as well if you prefer to use it.
crazy

Post by crazy »

Hawkward wrote:As of just now, I do have some minor experience from school in programming, but only going as far as Visual Basic. I was hoping to spend some of my free time to dive back into that, and look maybe creative very basic ideas to learn from that could relate to the ideas presented in the software available here - maybe starting off with a simple command prompt based tool, then move onto something more UI focused with features down the line.
C++ will suck all the life joy from you. The complexity you would need to deal with to write and debug even a simple program is tremendous.

For simple command line tools, I'd recommend modern scripting languages like Python or Ruby. They're simple to learn, well organized, have a lot of great libraries and tools. You can do UI and Web programming with them, too.
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.

Create your ritual & train yourself at http://online-stamina-trainer.herokuapp.com
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Any opinion on Perl???
I came across a book on it, and downloaded a copy, It is free BTW...

From what I can tell, it is very freeform, maybe too freeform for my liking...
But it does look like a very easy language to learn...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
sophiestacey

Post by sophiestacey »

Some of the programs on here are written in AutoIt. Highly recommended if you want to dip your toes into programming. If you need any advanced computational stuff then Java or C# is probably the way to go.
kevlar

Post by kevlar »

There are tons of choices, depending on what you want to do, and what you want to limit it to. I use and recommend C++ with Qt. Qt satisfies most UI needs without having to build your own, adds garbage collection to C++, and some other things, like java style iterators, etc. Cross platform with Linux, Mac and Windows, latest version is trying to get onto iPhone, Android, etc.

C++ can suck life joy, yes. This is not a 'oh lets write a quick program to...' sort of language, it needs more of a commitment from you. But it is very powerful. With all languages, a proper design for the software you want is a good idea, but absolutely essential with C++.

I have never programmed Java, but it is a good choice, just for universality - multi-platform. I also like the quote - "Java is C++ without the guns, knives, and clubs." - James Gosling, co-inventor of Java.

Ruby & Python are also high on my list, good for scripting, web development and more. Both interpreted languages, so they do not scale well. Good for smaller projects though.
SlaveboySM

Post by SlaveboySM »

I've developed SBMaster in VB.net with Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
crazy

Post by crazy »

Dark_Lizerd wrote:Any opinion on Perl???

Perl is legendary for its (ab)use of strange characters and the ability to obfuscate even a simplest program, but then again you can write bad code in any language.

Perl's power is filtering and transforming text data and file manipulation, so it's loved mainly by UNIX administrators. It's nice for writing a simple text utility (e.g. screenscraping some data from web site), but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more serious.

I think if you want to discuss learning programming, you need to first state what do you want to program and why. Websites? 3D games? Calculations? File manipulation? Is it leisure activity or professional? Big or small? Otherwise it's just everyone posting their favorite tool :)
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.

Create your ritual & train yourself at http://online-stamina-trainer.herokuapp.com
lj

Post by lj »

I write PIC Assembly Language code

I'll get my coat :rofl:
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

crazy wrote:
Dark_Lizerd wrote:Any opinion on Perl???

Perl is legendary for its (ab)use of strange characters and the ability to obfuscate even a simplest program, but then again you can write bad code in any language.

Perl's power is filtering and transforming text data and file manipulation, so it's loved mainly by UNIX administrators. It's nice for writing a simple text utility (e.g. screenscraping some data from web site), but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more serious.

I think if you want to discuss learning programming, you need to first state what do you want to program and why. Websites? 3D games? Calculations? File manipulation? Is it leisure activity or professional? Big or small? Otherwise it's just everyone posting their favorite tool :)
Well, I can't disagree there...
The more I'm reading into it, it may not be a good one to start with...
But, it looks good for data tweaking, or maybe internet...
But not so much for game or device controlling...
LoKiT
Retired Moderator

Post by LoKiT »

Check out http://twit.tv/show/coding-101
Watch some of the shows and pick up the pro's and con's to figure out what suits you. These shows are also aimed at younger viewers so they can be a bit slow to dive in. But they are a good primer to get you started.

I would say for scripting... Python, Perl. Kids can learn this. Lots of opensource modules to do tricky stuff for you in places like GitHub and Stackoverfow.
For GUI and easy graphics and windows, Kivy, cython. Forgiving with more helpful error tracing. Human readable ;)
For hardcore, C++. And you can mix it with cython for high and low stuff. Can be unforgiving and a nightmare to debug at times because of a typo.
Java I feel is getting patchy and away from design goals.