Mankind, the moon and a magic wand

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

amity

Mankind, the moon and a magic wand

Post by amity »

Hello everybody

Mankind can fly to the moon!

But are we able to program a hitachi magic wand (230V) not only to buzz endlessly in one speed setting, but to vary the vibrations and to stop completely for a minute or so – and then to start again in a differnt pattern.

Can we?
Can anybody?
I can`t :cry:

Can anybody help me how to build and to program such a devilish :evil: :D device?

Please :P :!:

Greetings
Amity
Dark_Lizerd

Re: Mankind, the moon and a magic wand

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

One word: "Arduino"
This is a programmable IO device (board) that can be used to control other devices...
It can take button inputs and control outputs...
There are lots of examples here on this site...

The simplest way to control the magic wand is just a relay to turn it on and off...
(the AC power)
But, if you open the want up, and connect wires to the speed control switch (to replace the switch)
the Arduino can select the speed for ya...
Kinda like this...
Arduino wand 1.jpg
The Arduino will turn on 1 of 3 relays which will control the motor speed...
or, turn all 3 off to stop the motor...
BUT, I am not sure how the wand switch is wired...
With the control voltage going through the relays, the board should be protected...
BUT!!! I just noticed, you have AC powering the wand... Do not run the red and black wires to the Arduino...
That needs to be DC going to the board and to the relays...
(actually, I fixed the drawing...)
This should work for DC powered wands as well...
AND, if the Arduino board can handle the current, the analog output could power the motor and you would be able to have any
speed from very low to very fast...
Then you could have a programed sequence that could ramp up the speed the stop...
AND, start fast, then slow down...
(or an external power transistor could power the wand motor, while the board controls the transistor...)
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
amity

Post by amity »

Wow - thanks a lot for your time.
really appreciated.

Right now I`m in a hurry. I just wanted to post a quick "thank you" for your work.
...will come back to you later.
Cheers
Amity
lj

Post by lj »

Others will no doubt have the data and I don't have the time to look in detail, but some comments on the Arduino board from someone who hasn't used one but has spent 30+ years as an Electronics Engineer

the analogue output is at signal level and as such is totally unsuitable to directly drive mains supply devices.

The Hitachi wand is an 110v AC powered motor with a low current requirement and could easily be switched on and off by an Arduino/relay combination.

To provide speed control you need to use phase-angle control via a triac or thyristor - there may be an accessory board for the Arduino to do this, and that could use the analogue output to set the speed of the wand. Crude speed control can be achieved by adding a series resistor, but it is a very poor way to do the job as it generates heat, speed control is non-linear and would require several relays to switch in different resistors to set "step" speeds rather than a continuous change.

Lots of guys on here seem to use the Arduino so they may be able to help with programming
be a switch, double the fun :-)
PiJoy

Post by PiJoy »

lj wrote: <snip>
The Hitachi wand is an 110v AC powered motor with a low current requirement and could easily be switched on and off by an Arduino/relay combination.

The Hitachi Magic Wands sold in the US are indeed powered by 120 VAC, however, inside the wand, the power is either full-wave rectified (on the high setting) or half-wave rectified (for the low setting.) Thus the motor is a high-voltage DC motor. IMHO, the best speed control options are (a) MOSFET/PWM or (b) Triac/Phase control. I've opted for (b), so I could leave my Hitachi unmodified, yet not have a socket that could damage another true AC device.

There are Arduino examples for doing AC phase control online; ditto PWM of DC power. In either case, I *strongly* suggest using isolation between the Arduino signals and high voltages. There are optically-isolated Triacs that are fast enough to do phase control. Usually those are fairly low power, but are fine for triggering a higher power Triac.

Hope this helps.
lj

Post by lj »

Thanks for the expansion - I didn't know the half/full wave rectification. Arguably you could use PWM but would need isolation via an opto-coupled driver. I designed a bit of kit like that some years ago, nothing special, just look for opto-triac driver ICs. Just make sure you use the snubber network eelse you kill the opto with back emf - as I learnt the hard way !
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

And the lessons continue....
I "acquired" a DC version of an Hitachi...
(and if they don't make them, then I have a 6Vdc knock-off)
It has a large motor, and very powerful vibrations...
Not something would like attached to me where I could not escape from it!!!
(Or I would... not sure which... ;) )

When I get adventurous one day, I may modify it like I have shown for remote control
as a teasing device...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
leopard99

Post by leopard99 »

lj wrote:Thanks for the expansion - I didn't know the half/full wave rectification. Arguably you could use PWM but would need isolation via an opto-coupled driver. I designed a bit of kit like that some years ago, nothing special, just look for opto-triac driver ICs. Just make sure you use the snubber network eelse you kill the opto with back emf - as I learnt the hard way !
I'm a bit surprised at that. I'd assumed the HMW used a universal (series wound) motor and put a diode in series for the low speed setting. A universal motor works equally well on AC or DC. On the basis that an ounce of evidence is worth a ton of theory I've just measured my HMW with a DMM (Fluke 87 if you must know). On low speed it's definitely a half wave rectifier. On diode test range it's 1.7V one way, infinity the other. On full speed it's about 1.2V in each direction. On ordinary resistance ranges where the voltage from the DMM isn't high enough to turn on a diode it reads many megohms. This suggests that there is indeed a fullwave rectifier in there.

I can't immediately figure out a likely circuit that seems to have 2 diode drops with a bridge and THREE in halfwave.

On reflection a series wound motor might not be a good choice for the HMW. The speed regulation with varying load is hopeless. Hence it may well be a shunt wound motor which has approximately constant speed with varying load.

I tried running my HMW from a DC supply. The only bench PSU I had immediately to hand only goes up to 30V. The HMW works at 30V, though not very powerfully. Switching between low and high speed makes no difference in one polarity, as one would expect. In the other polarity, the half wave rectifier stops it working completely.
sbdx

Post by sbdx »

amity wrote: But are we able to program a hitachi magic wand (230V) not only to buzz endlessly in one speed setting, but to vary the vibrations and to stop completely for a minute or so – and then to start again in a different pattern.
One option is to use a mechanical linkage instead of direct electrical control of the Wand. You can buy manual speed controllers for the Wand:

http://www.amazon.com/Wand-Massager-Spe ... 001TJ6MWQ/

A $35 Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/) can directly control a PWM R/C servo motor (like those used in remote control cars):

http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-MG-996R-Rem ... 00GLJC0WK/

Get a small hose clamp from your local hardware store (something like):

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Brand-M ... 007Q4YDOC/

The R/C servo comes with a variety of attachments to the center shaft, any of which will work. Use some wire to attach the hose clamp to the R/C servo attachment with the hole in the hose clamp centered around the shaft of the R/C servo. Then place the hose clamp over the manual knob on the Wand speed control, and tighten the hose clamp so that it grips the knob on the speed control.

You need the R/C servo to stay fixed to the body of the Wand speed control, so you could build a bracket, or just get some small strips of wood (say 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide by 6 inches long), and use two C-Clamps to squeeze the wood on each side of the servo / speed controller so that the servo body cannot move. Now when the servo turns, it turns the knob on the speed control.

The Raspberry Pi has commands for controlling the R/C servo motor. You can write your software in a variety of languages, including simple bash scripts. Here are a couple of tutorials:

http://razzpisampler.oreilly.com/ch05.html

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... ervo-motor

Google "raspberry pi servo" for lots of other links.

You can also use the Raspberry Pi to turn on and off electrical devices. Here is one way to do it, including a simple web based control system:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Web-Con ... owerstrip/

Given that the Raspberry Pi runs a full Linux distribution (Debian Wheezy), you can pick from a wide variety of programming languages.

I don't know if the SBBJ v2 could be compiled on the Raspberry Pi, but if it could, you now have a very easy capability to control external devices from within the SBBJ program, using the existing "command" functionality. The Wand is an option, but also many Fucking Machines use a similar knob for speed control so you can easily control those as well. You could also switch on and off electromagnetic locks for handcuffs, drop a key, etc. Put all of this together, and the possibilities are... intriguing, to say the least...