PC controlled "toys"

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

Dark_Lizerd

PC controlled "toys"

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

OK, I know that Ardurno is a popular device here...
And I have a K8055...
From what I understand about the Arduno board is that the board gets programmed, and then it does it's thing...
Can the Ardurno be slaved to the PC and turn on or turn off it's outputs directly?
The K8055 is PC controlled by the USB port. It is just a dumb device (not programmable)

For my Adventure program, I have added the function where, if you have a device, I can be used to tease or punish you when you get hit...
(I have ideas for other "teases" to be done during the game..)

So, I have a simple control program for my board that will accept commands that tell it to turn on a output for "X" seconds...

I also thought about enhancing that so that theK8055 control program can be a teaser in it's own right....

I anyone else has a K8055 board?
Mine was a Radio Shack build kit...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
PiJoy

Re: PC controlled "toys"

Post by PiJoy »

Dark_Lizerd wrote: <snip>
Can the Ardurno be slaved to the PC and turn on or turn off it's outputs directly?
The K8055 is PC controlled by the USB port. It is just a dumb device (not programmable)
Arduinos (and variants) have inputs and outputs similar to the K8055 -- digital I/O and analog I/O (although the analog outputs via PWM are somewhat slow and noisy.) All Arduinos have at least one serial port. Usually a USB/serial converter is used; the "FTDI" cable is probably the best known, but Adafruit.com and ModernDevice (among others) sell equivalent converters. There are a huge number of Arduino examples and libraries for serial communication. Of course, you'll have to find an already-supported protocol for serial commands and responses, or create your own. I suggest looking online for examples or libraries that are close to what you want, and either use that as is or modify to suit your purposes.

I suggest starting by looking into the Firmata protocol: http://www.firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page
and the Arduino library for firmata: http://arduino.cc/en/reference/firmata

You probably need only a subset, especially if you don't need a GUI on the PC side.

One unpleasant wrinkle on Windows machines is that the number of the USB-emulated Com port, e.g. Com3 will not generally be the same from one USB plugging in to the next, so your software on the PC side will have to check for existing Com ports and figure out which is connected to your Arduino. If you're only ever using a single USB/serial converter at a time, this is simple. But if you're using more than one, disambiguation can be a bit more tricky.

Hope this helps
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I had an Arduno for a bit to check it out..
It used Com3.
The K8055 is just identified as a USB device, and it has jumpers for it's ID...

What mean is... (about the outputs)
I have a program on my PC, that I made, that will control the board... K8055.exe
My adventure program will "shell" to a windows program to control your "toys"... shocker or vibe, player choice in set-up...
IE: Shell k8055.exe 1 5
(The set-up will list your own program and info it needs... the user sets this up.)
This tells the k8055 program to turn on output #1 for 5 seconds, then it turns it off and exits.
Can the Adruno be controlled the same way???
Or do you need several arduno programs that will need to be programmed into it to control the output???

The teaser I had in mind would be a text fie, that the k8055 program reads and controls an output...
Like:
Tease1.txt
-----------------
Output #0, on for 4 sec, off for 15, on for 2, off 35....
Jenny had a vibe with bad contacts that drove her nuts when it acted up... this would be one way to recreate that...

The tease txt file could also be used to control all 8 outputs the same way...
If the arduno could be programed this way is what I'm asking... Just for ideas for other programmers...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Brand X mk2

Post by Brand X mk2 »

It be great to have a game where you got electric shocks as punishment and vibration as reward. But how many people would go to the length of building the devices needed? You'd need an arduino hacked vibrator and an arduino hacked electro-stim. The latter being the more difficult to make correctly and safely.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Primarily, this option is for people that already have their 'toys' and controllers set-up.
You don't need to build your devices to play the game, it is just an option...
Brand X mk2

Post by Brand X mk2 »

Ah, but it would be so much more fun. :)
jands

Post by jands »

Just sent this in a PM to dark lizard, but others may find it helpful.

There is a device I have used many times called a DACIO. made by Tronisoft http://www.tronisoft.com/shop/rs232-to- ... o-300.html, UK based company that make some great IO devices.
My favourite has 16 digital I/O and 8 analogue inputs. They come default with a DB9 connector and a MAX232 chip on-board, however I removed the connector and the MAX232 and replaced it with a FTDI USB to TTL chip, giving me usb connectivity to the world from my PC and could do the same thing with Bluetooth to TTL adaptor or even Wi-Fi to TTL if you have the skill.
I have used these many times and I have written very basic software in VB studio to communicate with in.

They are controlled with simple terminal communication i.e.
!B0=1 to turn on port B bit 1
!B0? to query the status of that pin