belt materials safety?

Chastity is perhaps the ultimate in long term selfbondage.
kaelin

belt materials safety?

Post by kaelin »

I'm currently considering getting a new device but I've noticed that all the non-stainless steel options seem to be polyethylene/PETG . I gather that's fairly hygienic in terms of low porosity but I'm a little worried about how safe it is to have these plastics in contact with your skin for long durations. I know the skin can and does absorb certain chemicals, and I know some plastics secret fairly dangerous chemicals... but I've only got sort of an introductory knowledge to this stuff.

Has anyone had any problems resulting from these types of materials in their CB?
cdinbonds

Re: belt materials safety?

Post by cdinbonds »

The problems with plastics come form "Plasticizers", which are used to make the soft form of plastic, like those used in many of the "realistic' dildo, squeezable containers, and lots of other soft plastic products. Many, but not all of these will have a strong chemical smell and taste.

If you stick with the rigid devices, like the CBxxxx series, you shouldn't have any problems. I believe the CB series is made of polycarbonate plastic, which is a safe material used in food service grade products, as well as other products which require high strength and light weight.

For what it's worth, I have worn a CB 3000 for over 90 days without any problems.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
lj

Post by lj »

not all CBxxxx devices are "genuine" - for the price I paid fo mine I suspect it is a copy but it seems perfectly ok and the quality seems to be the same as a "genuine" one.

Polycarbonate is ndeed the standard pplastic used, I guess acrylic is a cheaper substitute and this would have similar properties as regards to safety from chemicals adsorbed, absorbed or desorbed.

As long as the device is cleaned regularly, I use soap and hot water, occasionally using a disinfectant wipe first, I wouldn't expect any issues

I'd be a bit more concerned with the "soft" CB devices, as plasticisers may be more relevant, so I'd ask the manufacturer for details.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

kaelin wrote:I'm currently considering getting a new device but I've noticed that all the non-stainless steel options seem to be polyethylene/PETG . I gather that's fairly hygienic in terms of low porosity but I'm a little worried about how safe it is to have these plastics in contact with your skin for long durations. I know the skin can and does absorb certain chemicals, and I know some plastics secret fairly dangerous chemicals... but I've only got sort of an introductory knowledge to this stuff.has anyone had any problems resulting from these types of materials in their CB?
as others have said, the "plastic"-devices are usually made out of polycarbonate.
most of these devices are molded, meaning they are shaped into form by injecting under pressure them into a negative while the material is in a liquid state due to heat. once it's cooled the form is opened, and the mold extracted.
due that production process "plastifiers" are usually not needed.

the PET you mention, i guess you mean Polyethylenterephthalat (PET) with is famous for it's use as the "unbreakable"
PET-bottle.

it's is known that Acetaldehyd & Antimontrioxid, which are a result of the production process of creating PET, can migrate
into a liquid stored into that bottle. however those quantities are usually in such a low concentration (in the nano- or picogram range) that they don't pose a thread to an adult. *infants are another story. you shouldn't use plasticbottles or
give them food that has been stored in plastic.*

however, PET is also used to create capillar-implants for bypassing aorta-clogs or as stents. one can venture a guess
that it is pretty safe for use on humans, concerning the absorption off migrating chemicals.

lj wrote: Polycarbonate is ndeed the standard pplastic used, I guess acrylic is a cheaper substitute and this would have similar properties as regards to safety from chemicals adsorbed, absorbed or desorbed.
there is another problem with acryl *plexiglas*, as opposed to polycarbonate it is susceptible to breaking & splintering,
even under light pressuere. acrylic sheets can even splinter in some occasions when you try o clean them with alcohol.
so it is not recommend for devices worn on the body because of that.

hope that helps
[
kaelin

Post by kaelin »

Wow, that's all very informative and helpful - thanks everyone!

Specifically I was looking at the exobelt products, for example the extreme is supposedly a "Polyethylene back plate" and "PETG exoskeleton". The (legit anyway) cb xxxx series claims to be "medical grade polycarbonate material".

Based on what you guys are saying these would both fall under the 'hard' plastics grouping and probably be okay as far as chemical secretion goes, of course a lot of this stuff seems to manifest 40 years later, but at my age that's probably an okay risk to take.