Chat (Not working)

Links to things that are interesting for the members of this forum. No advertising or affiliate links please!
kriske

Chat (Not working)

Post by kriske »

I've seen the other topic about a chatsystem for this site and I liked the idea and respects the work provided by Mc_ntk, however the technical part of it was a little outdated (no client, only server)

Therefor I thought it would be a nice idea to set-up a modern chat with more options and a nice graphical layout.

For those who're interested: http://boundanna.kriske.be

Note! This chat is unofficial and boundanna.com is not responsible for the usage of this system

Enjoy the chat!

Edited by Anna, made sticky.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Looks good, pity Im the nly one in there, Will check back another day. :wink:
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
kriske

Post by kriske »

Could be :) This chat was created specially for this site. We'll see how it goes :)
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

*fiddles*

Flash frontend... simplistic xml format messages that seem to be irratatingly null terminated (makes it harder to telnet a message).

I'd write a chatter bot, but I can't be bothered :P

Why not an irc server instead, with a cgi-irc or jirc type frontend for those that don't want to be bothered with a real client?

No offense meant, I just enjoy abusing unencrypted chatter protocols :twisted:
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

The chat looks great but it is unfortunately rather empty of people. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have certain scheduled chat hours to improve the situation.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Warlock wrote:*fiddles*

Flash frontend... simplistic xml format messages that seem to be irratatingly null terminated (makes it harder to telnet a message).

Why not an irc server instead, with a cgi-irc or jirc type frontend for those that don't want to be bothered with a real client?

THeres always one... :?
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Hmm, should be hard to find a time where everybody is able to be online. Keep in mind the time difference between Europe and the USA... at my place it`s 6 hours later than on the US east coast for example, the west coast would be another 4 hours earlier if I remember correctly... so even if I stay up to 2am as usually, a user in San Francisco for example would still be at work around 4 pm... not to mention several users in asia Oo hard to synchronize I guess.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

I think thats why the forum does so well, becuase of the time differences
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

curious_sb wrote:
Warlock wrote:*fiddles*

THeres always one... :?
What can I say, chat systems are something of a hobby for me
kriske

Post by kriske »

A scheduled chatsession would be great.

Let us say if we chat during the weekend, in the evening (GMT-time), then it's morning in the USA and maybe then we can solve the problem :)

PS. Warlock... Be my guest if you want to play with it :) However I don't see any reason why a stupid chat should be encrypted, since everyone can join it and it's public anyway :) But if you can make a bot, it would be nice.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

kriske wrote:A scheduled chatsession would be great.

Let us say if we chat during the weekend, in the evening (GMT-time), then it's morning in the USA and maybe then we can solve the problem :)

PS. Warlock... Be my guest if you want to play with it :) However I don't see any reason why a stupid chat should be encrypted, since everyone can join it and it's public anyway :) But if you can make a bot, it would be nice.
It's minorly irrating that it's using a \n\0 terminator (stupid flash xml sockets), but it's pretty simple to adapt a bot to connect to it.

Guess the question would be, what would said bot do *ponder*

Sadly the protocol seems limited to messages only, no actions, which is a shame.
tieman

Post by tieman »

I don't know how many people know about this chat site. It is not listed on any of the opening links so many people may miss it if they do not stumble onto the message.

I tried it and the first thing was a log in sheet and I thought: great another username and password to remember :( It was not immediately self evident (to me at least) that you rentered your normal name and password.

Also Kriske wrote:

Note! This chat is unofficial and boundanna.com is not responsible for the usage of this system

Could that disclaimer keep people from using the link. I guess the question is will this feature become an official part of the site?
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

As far as I can see, you don't need to enter your password, just a nickname.

Also, could people pretty please stay in the room for more than, say, 2 minutes? This gives a chance for people to actually talk to them :P
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

tieman wrote:I don't know how many people know about this chat site. It is not listed on any of the opening links so many people may miss it if they do not stumble onto the message.
The problem I have with a chat is that it is so temporary. If you are not there when the good things are shared, you will miss it. The forum format is great because the information stays until it is removed or until something bad happens to the database. And I am afraid that a chat link on the main site would draw people away from the forum.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Anna wrote:
tieman wrote:I don't know how many people know about this chat site. It is not listed on any of the opening links so many people may miss it if they do not stumble onto the message.
The problem I have with a chat is that it is so temporary. If you are not there when the good things are shared, you will miss it. The forum format is great because the information stays until it is removed or until something bad happens to the database. And I am afraid that a chat link on the main site would draw people away from the forum.
I agree. It's just not the same. It's like the difference between listening to the news on the radio and reading the newspaper. Next hour, the radio station will have something else within its attention span. Tomorrow, you will still have your paper.

I can't stay locked into the chat all day just to catch a fleeting moment of interesting conversation. I can spend that time to much more constructive purposes (like tying myself up, cleaning the house, going to work, sleeping, etc.).

In all my previous chat experiences elsewhere, 99.9999% of the time when I log on, I am totally alone and there isn't even a shadow of someone else even if I stick around for two hours. That's why I don't chat anymore. Chat programs are programa non grata for me now.

I log on to Anna's forum, and I get everything since I last visited, nothing missing. Considering the wonderful and wicked exchanges going on here, it would be a shame if I even missed a single one.

That's why I love this place!

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!