Victorian Project

Crossdressing as a part of or type of selfbondage.
ponylady

Re: Victorian Project

Post by ponylady »

WOW,
that last pic looks like a portable spherical awning to shield your kids from the summer sun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

Hmm... perhaps comments like that are why a lady should not show her underthings! :oops:

Anyhow here's one for Jenny... whilst kicking my heels and researching Stuff, I found instructions for drafting a corset pattern. It seemed wrong not to use the same graphic techniques I used on the bodice to generate a custom pattern.

Wanna custom corset pattern Jenny?
Last edited by Audrey_CD on 07 Aug 2015, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Looks good! :D

I kinda like the massive steel structure... I can imagine the surprise of someone running into to you with that in the way!! :shock:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

It would probably match my surprise when I accidentally hooked it over the end of the bed and tethered myself!
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

IrnBru gets a Bustle

One of the challenges that I enjoy on this project is the realisation of a 3D garment from 2D materials, but sometimes it is hard to see how to get from one to the other.

Such is the case of the latest distraction. A new bustle cage. The pilot bustle cage from scaffolding was a success in terms of profile, but completely impractical. Needless to say the Victorians got it right first, and a French garment known as a Tournure or bustle cage exists. There are quite a few pictures on the net and so I have made a careful study and plan evolved. However I had trouble visualising how to get the shape so I made a model (1:2.5 scale) Here modelled by an empty Irnbru bottle (foul stuff).

IrnBru gets a bustle by Audrey Cooper, on Flickr

I can now draw this out full size and order the stiffening wire.

I have just finished drafting the pattern for the under skirt. This is literally an adaptation of the flounced petticoat pattern. Literal because I taped extra pieces of paper to the original. It is longer than the petticoat because there will be a 3" pleated hem instead of an 11 inch gathered flounce. Because this is the final foundation layer before the overskirt I have also added 4 horizontal pleats to the back to allow extra floofyness so the skirt can be bustled.
Last edited by Audrey_CD on 04 Oct 2019, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

bound_jenny wrote:Looks good! :D

I kinda like the massive steel structure... I can imagine the surprise of someone running into to you with that in the way!! :shock:

Jenny.

Remote control too!
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Ooooo I really like that! :D

Now to really make that enjoyable, add a remote-controlled vibrator, tie the legs together, and go for a ride in more than the literal sense of the word. :wink: :twisted:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

A short update, because its nice to report progress.

The parts of the back of the bustle cage have been cut out and joined together and the first two bone casings (tubes to slide the stiffening boning wires into) have been pinned in place.

In other news, I have just pressed the 'Spend' button on an order of corset and boning hardware from SewCurvey.co.uk. I suspect it will be quite heavy as the delivery charge was a bit eye watering!
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

After a massive machining session yesterday all seven boning cases are stitched into the bustle cage. sides waistband and a big ruffle still to do.

I'm going all indecisive about the fabric again. The under skirt will be black cotton. I was going to use a synthetic taffeta for the overskirt and bodice. However in the words of a respected historical costumer:
The first rule of historical sewing: avoid man-made fabrics – polyester, nylon, acetate, and most rayons. Using artificial textiles will

1) cause swear words you never use to come out of your mouth, and

2) look plastic, modern and cheap.
So I'm looking at another cotton, this time in a Bordeaux red.
Lastly I have finalised the pattern for the corset.
CorsetImage by Audrey Cooper, on Flickr
Its longer than the original and I have removed some of the angles for curves.
I have some denim from old jeans that I will use to make a mock up and see if the fit is any good.
Last edited by Audrey_CD on 04 Oct 2019, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

More progress! I'm going faster than a fast thing.

Today I cut out the side, back and waistband of the bustle cage. The sides and waist band are fully fitted whilst the back is three quarters fitted, the last bit has to be done after the bones have been fitted. I suspect doing this last bit will be like trying to put a cat in a box with the bones under tension. So I'm waiting for the SewCurvey delivery to come to progress this further.

Tonight I will be ordering the fabric and notions (I love that word).
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

Underskirt
More progress. I cut all the main panels for the underskirt, sewn the front and sides together, pleated the waistline of the back and pinned in the horizontal pleats into the back. If that wasn't enough, I have also crated a ruffle for the bustle cage.
I really need the bustle cage to be completed before I can progress as the next thing to do is arrange all the material in the back of the skirt in to poofs which is dependant on the underlying foundations.

In other news. I can now lace both corsets so the back is closed. This sounds impressive, except that my waist measures three inches more than the corset size.
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

Within a couple of hours of my last post the mail man delivered a package from Sew Curvy. I was taken back with the care that had gone into packing it, with several packages wrapped in pink tissue paper and the largest with a blue ribbon around it. The coil of spring steel for the bustle cage was quickly put to use and the cage is now complete.

The underskirt is now skirt shaped. The back has been bustled (hung on internal tapes to hold the foofyness in at the top). I had to unstitch part of a seam in order to put a placket it as the opening. A fiddly job, but I'm happy it is done right. I just need to do the pleated bottom edge. Thirty five feet of it!
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

I HATE PLEATS
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

I REALLY HATE PLEATS
However, this morning I put everything on including the unfinished underskirt and I'm encouraged.
Back to the ironing board. 4 down, one to go.
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

When the pleating is over
I'm feeling very proud looking at a dress form wearing the completed underskirt. :D

I'm now debating whether to work on the bodice or over skirt next.