congrats new horizon team

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Natale

Re: congrats new horizon team

Post by Natale »

ponylady wrote:well, that lunar eclipse wad truly amazing.
clear skies for me and a good laugh, as there were quite a few peeps out there trying to conceal their solareclipse-glasses.

in other news: 1st highres charon images are in, and guess what: more surprises.
did somebody expect anything else ?

too bad new horizons can't reach another one of the larger kuiper belt objects.
True- it won't pass any large KBOs, but within a month or so I believe two engine burns are scheduled to alter it's course to a recently discovered KBO- a small object about 40 kilometers wide. The New Horizons team refer to it as PT1, so it's mission is far from over.

As for people using solar eclipse glasses for a lunar eclipse- that's just sad.... but funny at the same time!
:rofl: :rofl:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

ponylady wrote:in other news: 1st highres charon images are in, and guess what: more surprises.
did somebody expect anything else ?
Charon is another interesting world by itself, and it's just half Pluto's size, so the two make quite an interesting pair.

They expected boring and cold. They only got it half right (brr...). That system is beautiful, or as Buzz Aldrin would put it, "magnificent desolation".
Natale wrote:s for people using solar eclipse glasses for a lunar eclipse- that's just sad.... but funny at the same time!
:rofl: :rofl:
It's hilarious. I didn't see anyone using those, but I could imagine that there would be some interesting ER cases from people stumbling around in the dark with nearly opaque glasses over their eyes... :rofl:

I think that there will be a new disclaimer printed for them - "Do not wear for lunar eclipses or other after-dark activities".

That would be for the same crowd that needs to be told that a hot drink is hot, or that a bag of peanuts may contain peanuts. :facepalm:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

@jenny,people are just getting dumber as more electronics are introduced into their lives.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

tiemeupalso wrote:@jenny,people are just getting dumber as more electronics are introduced into their lives.
I would say that the introduction of electronics is only coincidental to the general dumbing down of culture and of the education curriculum. People are just not learning enough things to get around in life, with or without electronic devices. The cradle-to-grave nanny state takes care of them, holding their hands all the way. There is no incentive to be self-sufficient or self-reliant. Of course the nannies sweep into the vacuum created by parents who don't take the time to raise their kids properly (the same nannies might even punish parents who do take care of their kids properly).

So we get a generation (or two) of lobotomized wusses who call the police for a mouse (the cute and furry kind) in their college dorm, and can't figure out that a cup of hot coffee really is hot. They will demonize success and glorify mediocrity. And bawl like babies until everything is handed to them on a silver platter.

Enough ranting. There are more nice photos of the Pluto-Charon system to look at.

Jenny.
lj

Post by lj »

bound_jenny wrote:
I think that there will be a new disclaimer printed for them - "Do not wear for lunar eclipses or other after-dark activities".

Jenny.
a slightly embarrassing story about myself on this theme. My Lady and I went to Arctic Sweden to stay in the Ice Hotel near Kiruna, to see the Northern LIghts in February (temperature -30C). We spent one day husky sledding and finished the day staying in a log cabin miles from anywhere. Of course I was wearing (prescription) sunglasses as the sun was out all day and the snow is very white! The cabin had no electricity, just candles. After about an hour, I said that despite the candles, it wasn't very bright in the cabin.

"Take your sunglasses off" was the very sensible comment from My Lady :facepalm:
be a switch, double the fun :-)
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

isnt it good to have a lady around that also has brains:)
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

tiemeupalso wrote:isnt it good to have a lady around that also has brains:)
Which is why every man should have a sensible woman as a companion. Two main reasons:

1) To keep him from doing anything stupid (acts usually preceded by those two fateful words, "watch this").

2) If he manages to do something covered by 1, to drive him to the ER. :mrgreen: :P

Jenny.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

bound_jenny wrote:...

1) To keep him from doing anything stupid (acts usually preceded by those two fateful words, "watch this").

2) If he manages to do something covered by 1, to drive him to the ER. :mrgreen: :P

Jenny.
:? :idea:
Is that the reason for married men to live longer then? If so, I'm even happier to be!
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Blacky wrote:
bound_jenny wrote:...

Jenny.
:? :idea:
Is that the reason for married men to live longer then? If so, I'm even happier to be!
Yup.

It sure works for Lady C and me.

But she's only had to send me to the ER once.
It was only a minor flesh-wound, that needed a couple of stitches (the bone stopped the knife).
And once we had done the initial patching up together, I drove there myself.
:love:
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

well, congrats again are in order for the new horizons science team.

on new years day they flew by "ultima thule" @ a distance of about 6,6K klicks and sucessfully turned the probes cams in the right direction to take some snapshots.
and that in a distance of 6,6 billion klicks on an object about the size of 10 x 40 klicks.
simply amazing amazing piece of navigational prowess.

this is the highest resulotion image taken during the flyby and it shows ultima thule is even stranger than believed after the 1st images.

datatransferrate is about 1byte/sec from that distance; thats why there are still about 12 months left until all the flyby-data will be sent home.
[
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Indeed! I've been following New Horizons' latest flyby and as usual, they got the unexpected.

Such as they have evidence that the shape isn't just two different-sized blobs stuck together, but more like a small meatball stuck to an overstuffed pita. It should prove interesting as the rest of the data trickles in.

Quite the solar system we have - volcanic moons (Io, for one), a planet that's the hottest but not the closest (Venus), ringed planets, frozen iceballs with geysers (Enceladus), and too many more to count.

So if you're bored here on Earth, just look up. There's enough entertainment out in the universe to keep you distracted way beyond when the cows come home to roost.

Jenny.
RADER123

Post by RADER123 »

Can you imagine that big rock falling into your back yard. WOW!!!! That would be THE END.
Rader
sweh

Post by sweh »

RADER123 wrote:Can you imagine that big rock falling into your back yard. WOW!!!! That would be THE END.
Rader
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eryoneDies