Arduino Due: Dud?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Riddle

Arduino Due: Dud?

Post by Riddle »

I bought an Arduino Due to make a bondage controller and it appears that I may have wasted my money. My code that works on the Mega 2560 and Uno variants won’t compile for the Due. Hope to have better luck with the Raspberry Pi.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
red_bondage

Re: Arduino Due: Dud?

Post by red_bondage »

Well the most plosible explenation is that the Due is a 32bit Microcontroller, but the other two are not. (only 16bit)

The error should not be to complicated to be fixed, and they are sure easier to fix than to rewrite everything on a Raspberry.

Make no mistake. The raspberry is a completely different platform, with total different benefits and downsides.
Think of Operating System, programming language requirements, ect.

IMHO if you are looking to "just" turn some stuff off and on, the Arduino is the easier platform.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

red_bondage wrote:Well the most plosible explenation is that the Due is a 32bit Microcontroller, but the other two are not. (only 16bit)

The error should not be to complicated to be fixed, and they are sure easier to fix than to rewrite everything on a Raspberry.

Make no mistake. The raspberry is a completely different platform, with total different benefits and downsides.
Think of Operating System, programming language requirements, ect.

IMHO if you are looking to "just" turn some stuff off and on, the Arduino is the easier platform.
I know the Uno and Mega are 8 bit controllers. Further reading revealed that some libraries are not compatible with the Due. The IR library I was using with the Uno will not even work with the Mega.

The Raspberry Pi was purchased to give me another option since my program was reaching the limits of an Uno. More recently, I purchased the Mega and Due together to provide a few more options. I am now thinking that the final bondage controller will use multiple controllers: an Uno for temperature and IR receiving, the Mega for over-all timing and GPIO, and the Pi for the user interface.

Still bummed that the Due is not working for me, but will try to figure it out.
red_bondage

Post by red_bondage »

but that really sounds like an interesting project.

What are you up to?
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Think home automation with a twist. I want the “controller” to control lights, sound (stereo), heat and a/c, and be connected to the smoke alarms. I also want it to function as my alarm clock with a bed shaker and very loud alarm buzzer. It will also control my pneumatic wrist restraints. If time and money allows, some sensory items like an e-stim box and vibrator would be nice.

http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... nts#p46412

http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... mer#p45730