ice locks timing

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
curious123

ice locks timing

Post by curious123 »

I want to experiment with an ice lock which is a block of ice in a sock, such that the sock can only pull through a loop after the ice has melted.

So I know this is a vague question but I was wondering if someone could ball-park how long it takes a given volume of ice to melt. Im also wondering how dependent on room temperature it is, like does a couple of degrees make a massive difference or not so much? Ill be using a single cubic piece of ice

Ill experiment with it before I use it for real, but it would still be useful to know what a good starting point is. Also I might as well take this opportunity to say I just found this forum recently and im really impressed by the amount of information and safety tips available.
ponylady

Re: ice locks timing

Post by ponylady »

Aah, physics.

Are we talking about ice IV or VII ?

But i asume you mean ice I as is pertinent in earthly
Refrigerators.

Generations of physicists have worked on that question
And found that the unique molecular properties of H2O
Don't facilitate the creation of a simple formula.

Proportion of mass to surface
Overall mass
Airpressure & humidity
Ambient temperature
Air flow

All play a role in melting ice.

Nobody can for sure say how long it takes under different circumstances.
[
lj

Post by lj »

as the clever pony says, it's an almost impossible question to answer.

I can give you an approximation from my own experience. I used a mesh nylon bag to contain the ice, the bag supplied with washing machine tablets. The release is similar to the OP's, in my case the cord on the bag is threaded through a small chain end link, so the ice must melt down to the inner dimension of the link before it can pull through and release. The bag provides almost no thermal insulation, so the ice is exposed completely to the air.

An ice cube from a standard ice tray mould, giving a block about 25x25x35mm will melt to about 8x8x8mm at normal room temperature (about 20C) in around 40 minutes. This assumes a normal freezer, water out of a cold tap (water that is hot when the freezing starts behaves differently, another peculiarity of H2O). If you apply tension to the ice, it will melt more quickly, as it "cold flows".

A single large block of ice will melt slower than an equivalent mass of smaller blocks (surface area to volume ratio) and a round block will melt slower than a rectangular block of the same mass (surface area to volume ratio again)

Does a difference in air temperature make a difference in melt time. Yes, transfer of heat is proportional to the difference in temperature, complicated by the behaviour of the transfer medium, in this case the air. It's many years since I studied Physics, but I think the effect of temperature difference will be based on the Kelvin scale, absolute zero being zero (!) and 0C = 273K, so a difference of 2C will make less than 1/100 difference in melt speed (2/273). Air currents over the ice will be complicated, bringing in humidity, relative temperature, rate of air flow, air pressure (controlling air density, so you home's altitude and the current weather conditions will also play a part.)

Or you could just try several different ice blocks and time how long it takes to achieve a result. Start with a small cube ! :rofl:
be a switch, double the fun :-)
curious123

Post by curious123 »

Thanks for the replies, Ill experiment and see, but honestly I think i was going to start way too big so good to know

Im kinda blown away by the level of knowledge and science in the responses! So thanks to both of you
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Keep in mind, the random nature of ice locks, especially when DIY gives a nice addition to your bondage experience. You never truly know how long you will be locked away.

But yeah, if you don't do experiments, you may actually lock yourself up for up to 8 hours or more.

Also be sure there is enough weight below the icelock to ensure that when the ice has melt sufficiently (not completely) it will always fall. Ignoring this fact can cause your ice to melt, but the sock to remain in its position. The sock gets wet from the ice and may cause its friction to increase, meaning it takes more force to drop the key it is supposed to drop. Sufficient weight will definitely reduce that risk, and too much weight will not stop the ice from melting and unlikely cause the ice to melt faster too. The only thing that may happen, is that when the ice is about to be small enough to release the key, it may break and fall a bit sooner. But this may only give like 5 minutes.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.