Anonymity vs participation

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Warlock

Anonymity vs participation

Post by Warlock »

This sort of relates to the partner thread.

How substantially do you think you are holding back to protect the separation between your posting identity and your real world identity?

It has occurred to me that this is an interesting question, since much of my hobbies and skills would greatly simplify figuring out my identity, which makes it harder to share more interesting details of my background...

But yeah, enough of my rambling ... discuss :P
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Now there's a nice, juicy subject that can generate a lot of typing...

There are some things that I don't divulge, like where I work, what is my position, what does my company produce, etc. Things that any John or Jane Q Public can see without registering on the forum (which is viewable to the public, after all), and make deductions on who I am and my whereabouts.

One doesn't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to figure out, oh, only that company in that town produces that kind of product, and I see someone that looks a lot like bound_jenny going in and out of there, with a very tight waist (a dead giveaway), and I follow her home, bingo! Name on the mailbox, address, what time she goes out to work, when she comes back, when she goes to bed... and so on. Neither is there a need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what can come out of that.

You people may not be inclined to come and harm me (against my will :wink: ), but there are a lot of others out there who may. It's the same as with asteroids hitting the Earth: it's not the ones we know about that are the problem; it's the ones we don't know about and can't see coming.

Hobbies and other skills, if general in nature, cannot be really used to deduce someone's identity unless, of course, it is a unique combination that is known to the general public or at least a large enough segment of the population so the probability of someone making the connection is very high.

There are other things about my personal life that I keep to myself, because, well, they're personal! Or they just don't pertain to this forum. If I judge that some bit of information is pertinent, benign, and can contribute to my sociability on this forum, then I release it. Otherwise, it's private.

As the song says, why did Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks! :lol:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

It's not so much that the skills are unique, more that they greatly narrow the field of suspects, so to speak.
For instance, I'm interested in photography, but can't really share any of my work...
I'm a programmer, but saying what sort of things I've worked on would point fingers.

Combined with the fact the email address used for this identity has been posted publicly, that provides a pretty good starting point to look for me.

I agree that some things should be kept private and some things are safe to post, the hard bit is judging what is a dead give away :(
jake

Post by jake »

I use this screenname EVERYWHERE. If any of my real life mates plopped it in google, then bobs-your-uncle, there's a lot of "dirt" on me. They have actually already put my email in google and got quite a bit, but thankfully for some reason, this site didn't come up under the email search.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Well, it's your call on that. Honestly, how many computer programmers out there are also photo buffs? Gazillions.

Now if you start working less common (but still publicly known) skills into the equation, then the probabilities start to increase.

A little seat-of-the-pant probabilistic math helps. And a little bit of healthy paranoia never hurts either. It works for me.

Jenny.
lifer

Post by lifer »

I am enjoying writing stories here. I can sneak a little about myself in and nobody's the wiser . Its not as obvious since it IS fiction.

My SO doesn't know I am in this forum but I did get to tye her up for the first time last week and had my way! hehe I may let her in on it sometime. But finding time to write my stories is a bit like SB in itself (for me) because there is the element of being caught and friends/family finding out what really makes me tick.

I feel pretty anaonymous here. I am not too worried. My 2 cents.
Life is what you make it.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

lifer wrote:I...I did get to tye her up for the first time last week and had my way!
Did she like it?

Jenny.
lifer

Post by lifer »

Yes! she did! We are planning another session soon but aunt Flo is in town right now ;-) So we need to wait a bit.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

lifer wrote:Yes! she did! We are planning another session soon but aunt Flo is in town right now ;-) So we need to wait a bit.
You lucky devil! 8)

Maybe your aunt Flo would like it too... :twisted:

Jenny.
huve

Post by huve »

I am carefull all over the net to preserve my identity, both my real identty for banking and buying thigs from the fraudsters of the world, but also from my more fetish activities on the web.

I post on Yahoo!360 as Xx sara xX so if anyone wants to find out more about me they can, though there isn't much there about my real life.

If were talking jobs though I am an aerospace engineer.
lifer

Post by lifer »

bound_jenny,

LOL I was trying to be funny... I have no aunt Flo... it was to say that it is that time of the month... sorry... :lol:
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

As I already mentioned, I don`t care if anybody finds out about my preferences, in fact I would probably tell them if they asked me (and provided a good reason for their interest).
On the other hand, my nickname is not that rare so making a profile of my internet activities would be almost impossible. Even my real name would not help, I have such an everyday name... everytime I am at a doctors, at least 3 other men stand up when my name gets called out ^^
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

bound_jenny wrote:Well, it's your call on that. Honestly, how many computer programmers out there are also photo buffs? Gazillions.
This is true, but combined with my email address, it narrows the margin quite a bit heh.
goddessloviatar

Post by goddessloviatar »

These days I am not that bothered If people find out who I am in real life - most of the time I use the same username all over the place so it would be fairly easy to track me down. I do google myself from time to time to see what comes up in the first few pages but I think I am just playing to my vanity most of the time.
I do count myself lucky though - lucky that at work for example everybody knows about at least one of my perversions. I wore this to my work xmas party...
Even my boss took this with good grace - his comment when having to introduce me to a new member of staff was "and this is pat, he is trying out the new shop uniform"
If someone did make connections between the various sites I frequent and brought it to the attention of my boss he would probably say "so tell me something I don't know"!
My attitude these days is that if people have issues with who I am or the way I am, then that is the point - THEY have issues that need addressing.
It is 2008 and there are far more important issues for the human race to deal with instead of what I wear or what I like to do to myself or have done to me.
Robin

Post by Robin »

goddessloviatar wrote:It is 2008 and there are far more important issues for the human race to deal with instead of what I wear or what I like to do to myself or have done to me.
AMEN!