Where can I get click-shutting number combination padlocks?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Blacky

Where can I get click-shutting number combination padlocks?

Post by Blacky »

As the headline says: I'm searching for a number-combination padlock that can be shut like a normal keyed padlock i.e. as follows:

1.) Set up the combination on the open lock (best done by someone else, see below)
2.) Click shut the padlock in a SB- or Bondage-scenario the same way you'd shut a keyed padlock
3.) Open padlock by figuring out the combination

My problem actually is that I cannot seem to find such a padlock anywhere.

Should anybody here have any advice or the definite knowledge that such a lock doesn't exist please let me know.
Maybe (hopefully) I'm just to stupid to use the right wording on Google/Ebay/Amazon?

Thanks a lot,

Blacky :hi:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
bound_jenny

Re: Where can I get click-shutting number combination padloc

Post by bound_jenny »

I think it has to do with the different mechanisms of a padlock and a combo lock. I'm not sure about the engineering details... but I'm sure someone here knows those details.

Happy Canada Day, eh? Image

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
lj

Post by lj »

Perhaps I am missing something here, but in my limited experience of combination locks, most are resettable. You open the lock, usually turn the hasp through 90 or 180 degrees, set the new combination, return the hasp to normal and close the lock, spin the dials and it now only opens with the right combination.

seeing as how Canada is mentioned by my esteemed colleague I did a Google search for <combination padlock canada> and came up with these, amongst many others

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/combination ... 0002406476

http://www.lowes.ca/padlocks/brinks-171 ... ductSlot=2

in the self-bondage "don't want to see" method, you would open the lock, turn the hasp, spin the dials without looking, return the hasp and close over the chain etc, spin the dials without looking, then you are locked in until you find the combination.

I mentioned my limited experience - I found I could easily undo the combination lock I had just by applying tension to the hasp and gently rotating one dial at a time, stopping when I felt a slight "give" in the tension. But perhaps a more expensive and better engineered lock wouldn't do this. In which case, depending on how quick you are setting combinations, release is several hours away for a 4-wheel lock. An emergency alternative release would be a good idea.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

Another useful, easy method is as follows.

Purchase one or more resetable luggage padlocks like these crappy 3 digit ones http://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lock-6 ... k/19870041 or better 4 digit ones http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-643DW ... 003HC7U1U/

Set up your camera so that you can photograph the dials when they are being set initially but you cannot see them and save to your computer / print them or whatever you want, maybe even email them to your chosen dom.

Then your release method is one of either randomly trying combinations or waiting for the image to appear.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Thanks for your replies.
lj wrote:Perhaps I am missing something here, but in my limited experience of combination locks, most are resettable. You open the lock, usually turn the hasp through 90 or 180 degrees, set the new combination, return the hasp to normal and close the lock, spin the dials and it now only opens with the right combination.
That's true for all combo locks I have seen so far.
in the self-bondage "don't want to see" method, you would open the lock, turn the hasp, spin the dials without looking, return the hasp and close over the chain etc, spin the dials without looking, then you are locked in until you find the combination.
And here's the problem.
What I would have liked to do is to let my wife set up different combos on several otherwise identical locks. As she is going to go visit her parents for about 2 weeks soon I'd have made use of these readily "encrypted" locks in SB.
But the locks also don't close (!) unless the right combination is set up plus I tend to memorize numbers rather easily and quickly. Sometimes that's absolutely nice, in this case it s***s, as I only need a short glance at the lock to know the combination and wearing a blindfold all the time is just not quite what I intended to do.

That's essentially why I would have loved to have click-shutting combo locks.

An emergency alternative release would be a good idea.
I never do SB without and would encourage anybody who does SB to stick to lj's advice!
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

I have two combo locks and they work exactly how you are wanting them to work.

these are them

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock- ... 1vZc23aZyw

it takes a key to set the combo. your wife can set the combo with the key and then scramble the numbers and it will close at any time, EXCEPT when the right combo is shown. be warned though, this 4 digit lock will take a long time to crack, as each attempt requires you to push down on the shackle before it pops up with the right combination. you cant just feel your way through it with this one.
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!
TheWingmen

Post by TheWingmen »

TNTBound wrote:I have two combo locks and they work exactly how you are wanting them to work.

these are them

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock- ... 1vZc23aZyw

it takes a key to set the combo. your wife can set the combo with the key and then scramble the numbers and it will close at any time, EXCEPT when the right combo is shown. be warned though, this 4 digit lock will take a long time to crack, as each attempt requires you to push down on the shackle before it pops up with the right combination. you cant just feel your way through it with this one.
I was reading this post and was literally just about to post a link to this exact lock! Use em at work all the time. With the hasp open you can scramble the code, close the hasp and it clicks in and is locked till you enter the right code. Haven't yet used one for SB but I will probably get one in the near future
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Those locks actually cover EVERY aspect of what I desired. 8)

Thanks you very much for the information! :D :mrgreen:
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

glad we are all happy.
now the only question remaining is who's more happy: you or your wife ?
[
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Well, we are both quite happy. But I honestly can't tell who is happier.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

May I suggest testing those locks before using them for self-bondage as you describe. I would also suggest purchasing several of them and only using the ones that open easily. I bought 2 of them to use as normal locks and 1 was such a pain that I ended up throwing it away. It did not like to open when I knew the combination. The other works perfectly over 5 years later. The dials are hard to turn which makes turning the dials hurt after a while and the push and pull makes cracking it painfully slow. Could try graphite lube to make it easier, but the solid detent on the wheels will still make it hard.

As much as I like my master lock, I have not used it for self-bondage without knowing the combination. Unlike flimsier locks, this is one solid combination lock. Holding tension either way has no percieved effect. I am curious how long it will take you to crack the combination of one of these. Please let us know.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

i agree with riddle about the not using this combo lock without knowing the combination. it would take you close to a whole day to open this lock if you didn't know the combo, and that's with your hands free. if your wrists are locked together, you could be stuck for quite a while longer as turning the dials to the exact spot and then pressing on the shackle is not just a one second thing.

a couple times when I used it as a daylight release(locked by this combo lock in the dark until morning light so I could see the combos) it wasn't quite bright enough and I was having a really difficult time seeing the combos(I really had to pee at this point and wanted out NOW :) ). I thought I had the combo set right and I depressed the shackle and it wouldn't pop open. so I waited a little while longer so that I could make sure it was the right combo, and it was, but the dials were just SLIGHTLY off from where they needed to be so it wouldn't open. I moved them around a bit and it finally opened after trying it again.

I would count on being stuck in whatever predicament that your wife sets you up with until she returns, otherwise you could spend days trying every single combination on that lock.

and if you do find the code to this lock when it is set to a combo you don't know, I would like to know just how long it took you to open it.

play safe!
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!
TheWingmen

Post by TheWingmen »

I agree with the two above me, I wouldn't use this in a scenario where you had to try all the combinations one at a time. They do stick sometimes and at work occasionally I have to spin the dials around and re enter the combination sometimes 2 or 3 times to get the thing to unlock. I've never had one not unlock but they can be a little sticky (that being said they are all outside in the wet all the time so they aren't in brand new condition by any means). But if what you are doing is being locked in bondage until your wife tells you the combination via a text/email/phone call etc then these are perfect
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I very much appreciate your concern. Thank you all.

As said above I never do SB without at least one, most frequently two backup releases. So being stuck for days is not likely to happen.
The sheer amount of possible combinations seems to be an issue though. Our idea at this point in time is to let me know one number of the combination in advance, nut not its position in the combination. That way there are way less combinations to check, while there are still plenty of them (slightly under 4000 if I'm not mistaken?!).

I'll let you know the outcome of this.

Once more thanks for every input/advice/concern.

Blacky
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Blacky, do you have the locks now? Have you checked out their function? Other than the possible codes, what do you think of the locks?

As a side question, if you have more than one, would marking them so that your wife could keep track of which lock has which combination be something you might consider? She may want to only try one combination when changing the lock combination.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!