inexpensive & elegant release timer

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
rskeleto

inexpensive & elegant release timer

Post by rskeleto »

I'm somewhat new to this, but after breaking up with my ex- I got bored and started playing around with self-bondage. I tried the ice release trick, but i find it inelegant, though reliable. I've seen some people post some complex electrical systems which seem overkill.

I came across some electronically actuated cabinet locks that looked nice and clean and ordered it along with an inexpensive timer w/ relay

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newset-R ... 44350.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F85-Free ... 69080.html

(i hooked the time to +- 12V, the +12V to the common on the relay, the neg. lock wire to the -12V, and the pos lock wire to the NO connector on the timer).

I tested this out a number of times till I felt comfortable that it would work. I realize that a failure mode is if the power goes out, but when it comes on, the timer will restart the count. I also made sure I had a secondary way out.

I thought about complex mounting mechanisms, and in the end, i just nailed the cabinet lock to the side of the bed, and tied a loop of rope through the D lock part to a wrist cuff. So you would start the timer, tie everything else up, and finish up with clicking the D part into the mechanism. Tried it out once, and it worked just fine.

I am a bit reluctant to use this as the only means of escape, but it's quick to deploy (no waiting for ice to freeze) and elegant.

I would feel better if they were powered by a 12V battery rather than a power supply - also if I used two of these (one for each arm) so that if one failed, the other should work..

other thing i would do (and will do) is order a different timer relay board - this one is a pain to set. this looks like a good option..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F85-Free ... 19523.html

not sure if anyone is really interested, but thought i would share as there isn't much out on this stuff. happy to post pics if anyone wants.
repe68

Re: inexpensive & elegant release timer

Post by repe68 »

Thanks for sharing. I ordered myself a set too :)
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

Nice find! and I love the price too.
Would you consider connecting this to two 6V lantern batteries connected in series?
FatherOfFour

Post by FatherOfFour »

Hi,
The lock it's nice, the price is right, I would like to check it's reliability under load, and the load bearing (You have them "on hands" Are they sturdy enough?)

For the first timer - that's right, h-m-s settings...
Instead of timers, have You thought about usb relay boards? there are a few dozens under 50 bucks, half of them around 10...
And with more relays, more fun: vibrators, vacuum machines or simply light and AC.

Have fun,
Darkrope

Post by Darkrope »

rskeleto wrote:
I would feel better if they were powered by a 12V battery rather than a power supply - also if I used two of these (one for each arm) so that if one failed, the other should work..
You could use a car battery and a battery charger in the mains. That way you got a charged battery all the time and a back up it case of power failure. A 12V 40 Ah (from a small car) will do the trick, there are lot's of closed batteries now so you won't have to worry about fumes coming out of it.
It's strange how much freedom can be felt in a tight bondage.

Darkrope
johnsub

Post by johnsub »

Thanks

That looks like a nice solution.

Thanks
johnsub

Post by johnsub »

Suggestion

Instead of using a digital timer which you end up setting the time.
Use a standard 220v timer, the kind that plugs into the wall.

Set it to come on 6 or more times in 24 hours, and that gives 220V to the 12V transformer that sets you free.

Giving this timer a random turn would be like roulette, it could take 10 minutes or 4 hours till release.
redsonic

Post by redsonic »

is it power off - unlock?
also i have ir remote control timer- my randomly freeze :evil:
looks like day lamps make interference for control chip
rskeleto

Post by rskeleto »

Glad some of you like my approach. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with it. The internals are all metal and it could support all the pressure I applied.

two 6V batteries in series would work as well as long as they can output the required current (not sure what that is). My guess would be yes.

@redsonic - that's the flaw with this approach, power on = unlock.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

I think you should not put too much weight on the power failure part. If you had a power outage due to a severe storm that would be several days or even worse, because of an emergency (house on fire, hurricane, etc) the release would actually allow you to get into safety.

It sucks for the session, but at least you can decide to wait for the power to come on, reset the bondage and continue from there. Its not like the power is more out than on isn't it? We're talking about something that happens rarely.

Perhaps adding an Uninterruptable Power Supply with 220v in the mix can help you keep in bondage during a power outage.

There are a lot of UPSses, depending on how long the power outage gap you want to catch, and how heavy the load is of the device(s) attached to the socket. A small device such as yours is likely to take hours where a pc would only have 5 minutes of battery power.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
xt

Post by xt »

Hello All,

Along the lines of this discussion, I recently purchased an "FRM01" timer (example here):

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/frm ... 78274.html

and a light-duty (2.5kg) electromagnet. I'll use it just to hold keys.

My question is, to power the set-up, instead of using a 12V battery (which I'd either have to go out and buy, or pull out of my car, etc.), could I instead use a household ("mains") powered battery charger, which I already have? I'm not terribly well-versed with electricity, and I'd hate to burn out the two components, but isn't that what a plug-in battery charger does, convert household AC into 12V DC? I was wondering if using the lowest "trickle charger" setting (which IIRC is 6A) would be OK. All advice welcome. Thanking in advance!
repe68

Post by repe68 »

Yes, I use chargers all the time. Works great.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

An actual battery charger of reasonably modern vintage (as your comment about "6A setting" implies) is not likely to work, as it only outputs power when sensing the connected battery. If you're talking about a wall wart power supply -- which might be provided with something to charge batteries -- that's a different story. Wall wart or laptop style brick power supplies are ideal. Ensure A) proper voltage for your electromagnet, probably 12VDC and B) sufficient output, exceeding the rated draw of your electromagnet. A 12VDC 500 mA power supply will operate most inexpensive electromagnets sold as door locks or door holders.
xt

Post by xt »

O. Alley,

You are correct, and I did not express myself clearly enough. I [i]had[/i] been referring to a "car" battery charger, and I can now understand why it wouldn't work, because it would not sense the battery at the other end as you explained it would need to.

I do, however, have a no-longer-used laptop charger/power supply, so I suppose I will simply strip the wiring and test it all out.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Check your voltage. A lot of laptops run on more like 18VDC. If you power an electromagnet designed for 12VDC with 18 VDC, you do run some risk of overheating... which could result in anything from simple failure to fire or burns. An overpowered coil can really heat up! You can generally get useful magnetic attraction from an electromagnet running somewhat below its rated voltage, but be cautious about running above the rating.