Low-Tech Handcuffs

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Fogbound

Low-Tech Handcuffs

Post by Fogbound »

(copied from 'Software'; well, this is SOFT hardware... !)

:idea: You can make a useful pair of handcuffs from the cuffs of an old pair of trousers.
[Diagrams in post below]
They are not much for looks, but make up for that in being easy & comfortable.
Just cut the (leg) cuffs off a pair of pants, with scissors, about 3-4 inches up from the hem, (leaving the circle intact: LOOPS not STRIPS!)
This gives you two continuous loops made from fairly strong fabric, including the hem, which re-enforces the loop.

Hang both loops over your left arm, one at the wrist, & one a few inches up the forearm, out of the way for now.
Put your right arm into the first (wrist) loop, from the front, but not through the second one.
Back of right hand slides below palm of left hand, until wrists are both in the first loop, hands facing opposite directions.
Twist the right hand, in the first loop, away from you, until your hands are facing the same direction, with your wrists connected by the loop with one half-twist in it.
Then keep twisting the right arm towards you until your hands are facing the opposite ways again, & the loop has a full twist in it (360 degrees from how you started).
Now reach for the back of the second loop with your right hand, & twist it a half turn so the right hand can go into the second loop from the 'back', i e the side of the loop that was furthest up your arm.
As you turn your right hand back to the same way the left hand is pointing, the second loop tightens up in a half twist, & the first loop loosens up to a half twist as well, but twisting in the opposite direction!
Twisting either arm now just tightens one or the other of the loops.
Depending on the size of the legs of the pants (cuff diameter), & how wide you cut the loops (more fabric makes thicker cuffs when twisted), this should be fairly secure, requiring twisting the arms apart to release / shake off that second loop.
If you cut the loops pretty thin, or have skinny arms, (or the pants had huge legs!) you may want to do more twists in each direction, putting double twists from opposite directions to make the cuffs more secure.
The secret to making these cuffs 'inescapable' is that you have to be able to move your elbows APART to get the arms lined up to back off that last twist & drop the second loop off your hand.
I have had a heckuva time getting out of these when I did it behind my back, with a loop of belt or scarf around my elbows.
My escape method is always a quick-release in the elbow restraint.
With free elbows you can usually get out of these cuffs.
It is also very secure when under tension, like a loop of cord passed around the center of the twisted cuffs & through itself in a larks head knot, & then attached to something you can pull against, like a headboard or overhead beam or pipe, or behind, to ankles in a hogtie.
Also a single piece of cord (like from ankles!?)can be tied around the center of the twisted cuffs, so you can't open up the twists, even if your elbows can move apart.
A (double! :twisted: ) wrap around the center, tied with an overhand knot cinched tight to the center of the wraps is quite secure, especially when done with cotton cord that holds tight in a knot & is harder to pull out with teeth! (voice of experience; I've had to do all sorts of contortions fighting out of these simple cuffs... .) . . . .... behind back, like from ankles in a hogtie, a simple overhand knot pulled down tight & pulled even tighter by struggling can make you good & stuck.
I have some ideas for these different applications, but have to get off (!) of here now.

You get the idea, play around with the pants-cuff handcuffs.

I use khaki pants, which is what I have a lot of; strong, not itchy like wool, feels good.

They are pretty safe (they don't have to tighten up on your wrists to remain secure), & you can bail out in a real emergency with a sharp (serrated is best) knife kept nearby (need I say it? be careful sawing next to wrists...cut from inside out).

They are also CHEAP & disposable if you do have to cut.

If anyone needs photos, I can put some up, at least up until I get both hands involved(!)
Happy Struggles!
fb
Last edited by Fogbound on 07 Dec 2015, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Es Ist Auch Gefaehrlich Im Bett!"
BornThisWay

Re: Low-Tech Handcuffs

Post by BornThisWay »

Thanks for sharing!
I was able to mentally follow it, but some illustrations would be awesome due to a lot of users in here having English as a second language.
Fogbound

Post by Fogbound »

. . . . .... I'll see what I can do for illustration.
Fogbound

Post by Fogbound »

Low-Tech Cuffs diagram
Low-Tech Cuffs diagram
Ok, here are some sketches of how 'leg-cuff handcuffs' work. (See original post under DIY on Nov 24, 2015)
This is a super-quick & simple method of getting wrists bound securely* . Practice in front & then try it behind your back. THEN add in a belt or looped scarf around elbows, or a piece of cord or nylon strap around the center of the cuffs**, & leading to ankles for a hogtie, or to headboard on bed , etc.

* What makes them secure is that you have to spread your elbows wide apart to shake off that last loop. Then if you have secured your elbows (they don't have to be tight, just either comfortably close to your body, or extended, like back towards ankles, so you can't move them apart), you are quite stuck. These cuffs will not tighten up like a slipknot, but cannot be wiggled open without actually untwisting that last half-twist, so they are safe & comfortable.

** I'll try to put up 2 more drawings: how the cord-or-strap idea looks, & how to set it up so it falls into place after you put on the cuffs, & also what my escape releases look like.
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

Very nice penmanship, and I like your idea too.
You have some artistic skill, I can tell exactly what you mean by the pictures.
8)
Fogbound

Post by Fogbound »

Thanks.
The drawings took me a while as I had family here for holidays. (Hard to practice drawing tied-up hands with nieces & nephews scampering all over, especially when I had to keep looping my hands in & out to see what they looked like!...).
Anyway, it's WAY easier & quicker to get securely bound in these fabric cuffs than it is to describe (or draw) how to do it. I hope a few people will try out this system & let me know if I'm missing something here. They will never replace hard steel chains & padlocks to most SB devotees, but surely there is a place for discreet, easily hidden temporary equipment! I am a rope & fabric person anyway. The hard stuff is uncomfortable to roll around on (AND freaking COLD, I have tried it a bit...), & mainly I just don't like to take chances with getting locks open by myself. A sharp knife / medical shears have kept my name out of the papers a time or two!
Thanks for the feedback.
fb
maninboots

Post by maninboots »

Thanks for an excellent idea. This post gave me inspiration to extend this simple self bondage concept, I created similar loops from a old heavy cotton T-shirt.

I actually have found a preference to cut a loop from the waist band to secure my wrists, by using the technique of slipping one hand into the band, then wrapping figure of 8's round each wrist in turn until you left with just enough of a loop left of the band to slip the other hand through. Seems pretty secure, doesn't slip off when struggling, and a big plus is that it is non tightening and comfortable.

Advantage/disadvantage is that it is easy to escape when you want to, simply slip the loop back off your wrist. I find sometimes finding the right loop is tricky initially, but I find I always manage to work it until I get a wrist free. Scissors would easily cut the cloth if needed for a robust backup option.

I'll need to build confidence to implement any further ideas to reduce the escapability! What is the bondage world equivalent of the expression "walk before you can run?" (assuming you can do neither! :lol:)

MIB