Remote operated magnetic lock: any interest?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
aeon

Re: Remote operated magnetic lock: any interest?

Post by aeon »

Audrey_CD wrote:I think you need to add a feedback system...
I've been thinking about that, but it's easier said than done with my lock. I'll keep it in mind, though.
* click *
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

aeon wrote:
Audrey_CD wrote:I think you need to add a feedback system...
I've been thinking about that, but it's easier said than done with my lock. I'll keep it in mind, though.
Some of the locks have a monitor circuit built into it like the one Aeon linked earlier. It would make having that option so much easier.

There are other options. A LED and photoresistor pair could be mounted to the side of the lock at angles so the plate must be in place for light to shine from the LED to the light sensor. A micro lever switch could hang over the top of the lock and get switched when the plate is in place. Since the plate should seal the magnetic field between it and the lock, a reed switch near the lock face should only switch when the plate is not fully in place and the lock is powered. This concept would need to be tested though.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
aeon

Post by aeon »

I agree that with a light application of some basic engineering you could make such a monitoring circuit. The big question is, how much does it add to the overall experience? I guess that would depend a lot on the particular way you're going to use the lock. E.g., if it's to hold a stock closed, it would make sense: someone could give orders online, and get feedback about the execution.
Then again, what you really need is a way to check if the person being restrained has actually done the restraining. Which opens up a whole new can of worms :)
* click *
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

aeon wrote:I agree that with a light application of some basic engineering you could make such a monitoring circuit. The big question is, how much does it add to the overall experience? I guess that would depend a lot on the particular way you're going to use the lock. E.g...
Then again, what you really need is a way to check if the person being restrained has actually done the restraining. Which opens up a whole new can of worms :)
Agreed. I bought the micro switches with the plan to install them into my restraint latches. Eventually, they may get installed just to give me the option of immediately locking the latches when both restraints are in place. For now, the timer simply has a start delay. A few times, this start delay allowed me to catch a last minute issue. Even if I had the monitoring circuit, it would not be engaged every time. I was simply trying to give options in case someone wanted to add the option.

aeon wrote:
Out of curiosity, since the Pi is basically Linux and this uses a relay board anyway, could I use any basic Linux computer able to control relays instead of a Pi?
You could. As long as you use a relay board that can be connected to your computer and for which you have a means of controlling it.
Obviously the relay board for the Pi uses the GPIO connector of the Pi, which isn't present on your average computer.

I have an old Quasar relay board with a serial interface that I was tempted to use on my main server, but went with the Pi as it provides a standalone solution that others could adopt fairly easily.
That is what I was thinking, but figured I would ask. The Raspberry Pi is a better stand alone solution which I would also prefer. It just seems like an unused Linux computer linked to an Arduino would give me all parts required without buying anything additional right now. All I would need is some time spent on the computer making them work together.
aeon

Post by aeon »

Riddle wrote:It just seems like an unused Linux computer linked to an Arduino would give me all parts required without buying anything additional right now. All I would need is some time spent on the computer making them work together.
I "wasted" nearly as much time on getting the Arduino to behave as I spent doing the entire project on the Pi...

Anyway, my initial idea was to have a simple program running on the Arduino that monitors the serial port, and the computer could tell the Arduino what to do by sending it a single character. But as each invocation of a script or program reset the serial connection, that didn't work.
The big issue there is the communication with the Arduino. Every time you open the serial connection to the Arduino, the Arduino resets. Which resets the relays too. The connection resetting isn't a problem for the "release only" scenario applied to a single relay, but as there are 4 relays on the Arduino shield, I'd like to keep 1 closed while using the others to control some toys, possibly.
There's a way around that by adding resistors to connect the reset pin and the +5V IIRC, but even though that seems to work I got fed up with getting bogged down just trying the elemental things to work. Things worked fine in the Arduino serial monitor, but getting a script to talk to it somehow didn't work.
* click *
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

aeon wrote:
Riddle wrote:It just seems like an unused Linux computer linked to an Arduino would give me all parts required without buying anything additional right now. All I would need is some time spent on the computer making them work together.
I "wasted" nearly as much time on getting the Arduino to behave as I spent doing the entire project on the Pi...
Good to know. If I have too much trouble with it, I will give the net book a proper funeral and buy a Pi 2 as its replacement.
Brand X mk2

Post by Brand X mk2 »

I wouldn't use any system that doesn't unlock in the event of failure. BSOD could take on a whole new meaning.
aeon

Post by aeon »

Brand X mk2 wrote:I wouldn't use any system that doesn't unlock in the event of failure. BSOD could take on a whole new meaning.
- if the power fails, the lock releases
- plug the power supply of the lock into a good old timer. Set timer for a sensible maximum duration
- a backup release is a good idea, but I wouldn't consider that specific to using this kind of lock...
* click *
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Couple quick comments:

First, my own Arduino solution is to use Bluetooth. Inexpensive HC-06 module on the Arduino side, and either a laptop/tablet with built-in or a little BT USB dongle on the computer. The OS opens and maintains the BT connection, which the Arduino sees as a simple serial comm. Program on PC pings every second... that way, if the Arduino doesn't get a ping it releases, as the controller has gone offline. It is, of course, pretty easy to network from the PC application. Using a Pro Mini, the Arduino side isn't any larger than a Pi, and can be had for under $20.

I am not sure you can do the same thing with a serial or USB port, but if you happen to have machine with an old parallel printer port you can access it through software to run relays... I had an application years ago that operated a dozen relays through a printer port. It also worked using a USB-to-parallel-printer-port adapter, so this is possible from any modern machine at a minimum. Drive a transistor or optocoupler, through which the relay is powered.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

aeon wrote:

Anyway, my initial idea was to have a simple program running on the Arduino that monitors the serial port, and the computer could tell the Arduino what to do by sending it a single character...
The big issue there is the communication with the Arduino. Every time you open the serial connection to the Arduino, the Arduino resets. Which resets the relays too...
There's a way around that by adding resistors to connect the reset pin and the +5V...
My research uncovered an interesting fact: Arduinos do not all have the reset issue. Some use a microcontroller with native USB support and reset using a special serial protocol. The Leonardo (retired, I have 1), the Micro, Zero, and Due all work this way. These are made to appear to the computer as a human interface device (HID) and will easily allow serial data to go back and forth. The Zero and Due are both 32 bit processors running faster than 16MHz. That makes them a good option for going between a standard computer and external relays and sensors. A Pi and a relay board would still be cheaper and easier than the Arduino, the relay shield, and other required hardware (not counting a computer).

The more I research, the more I want to buy a Pi and go your route.
saxrussell

Post by saxrussell »

Another option is a board from particle.io. Basically they are Arduinos with built in cloud connectivity. You can get wifi ones for $20 and they even have ones that use cell signal so you don't need wifi nearby. It would be pretty easy to have it turn a relay on and off based on a command sent through the particle cloud api.
2clampsyoue1

Post by 2clampsyoue1 »

Hi I am about to do this.
2clampsyoue1

Post by 2clampsyoue1 »

Hi, I am about to do this with a guy who is into spanking. He is in the U.S.A. and I am in the U.K.We are using a link between us and I have control of the release button for the remote magnetic lock here in the U.K.
Buckaroo1974

Post by Buckaroo1974 »

Hi,

i am working on a similar project. Mine also includes an inflatable buttplug and a stroker.

Maybe we can discuss on it.

Mike
pansexual

Post by pansexual »

Wow. I am very interested myself, and I fortunately see others too. :D

Though I am more interested in making it work in self-bondage alone. Getting it into the hands of someone online is the kinkier stuff that needs more care to avoid abuse.
Plan ahead. Don't be overambitious. Slowly step by step. Play safe. Have fun. And tell us.