Portable suspension rack?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
OrgasmAlley

Re: Portable suspension rack?

Post by OrgasmAlley »

cdinbonds, freddylocks, thank you both! Putting together and sharing all the DIY kinky crap was a ton of fun back then, and very rewarding. It's really great to hear, even this much later, from folks who enjoyed it.
jAVfan

Post by jAVfan »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback

I can't use hooks or attach things on the ceiling since I live in an apartment, the walls and ceiling are very fragile. I need a portable rack since I'm planning on using also in other locations. Thank you!

I was thinking about a motorcycle stand used in repair shops, but it's a single unit and very heavy. I'll look for those metal tripod for games.

Thank you again guys!
bootlover1978

Post by bootlover1978 »

Not to beat a dead horse, but as someone who designs roof trusses for a living, Orgasmalley is 100% correct depending on the design of the roof truss in question. Some trusses may have been over engineered and could take a 200# concentrated live load on the bottom chord without gaining much more deflection while other designs could have been built as cheap as possible and adding that extra load will cause the bottom chord to snap like a twig. You have no idea what that truss can really hold. At my company we design our trusses within a certain tolerance and they would withstand that added live load for a short period, but when designing a garage, we tend to add in extra loads on purpose as you know someone is going to toss some plywood up there and use it for storage without even thinking about it. Basically in a nut shell, the weight the truss is holding comes from the top and travels to the outside edges, it wasnt made to hold extra weight at the bottom in the middle unless specifically designed to do so.

Just putting this out there for people to stay safe. Sometimes those rafters arent quite as strong as you may think, at least not in the way you think they are. (and I found it funny that I found something directly work related on this site... irony for ya)
lj

Post by lj »

A friend of mine has a wooden suspension frame, and the construction accords with the erudite comments above.

You really cannot just bung a hook into the ceiling and hope. All you can say is there is a ceiling above!

His frame is basically two "A" frames made from 6 x 2" timber, with a linking horizontal that must be 10 x 2", if not 12 x 2", and a couple of brace timbers to provide lateral stability. It is all bolted together (so it can be easily dismantled and transported), and has lots of 2" holes drilled through for anchor points. The span is about 7ft, and the height chosen to just fit under his house ceiling, so about 7ft. It is all pine, natural finish.

It is very stable and has been used to secure three victims at a time (sadly not me, yet, but I have hopes...)
be a switch, double the fun :-)
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

bootlover1978 wrote:Just putting this out there for people to stay safe. Sometimes those rafters arent quite as strong as you may think, at least not in the way you think they are. (and I found it funny that I found something directly work related on this site... irony for ya)
Thanks for posting, bootlover. Just to extend your comments, what you've said is not limited to engineered trusses but goes for joists too, both floor and especially ceiling. In each case, the horizontal members in house framing ARE NOT designed to support substantial point loads individually. In the case of ceiling joists, if the space above is not intended as a working attic, they might not even be designed to support a typical floor's live load. The demands of a point load are greatly amplified compared to that same load distributed across the flooring system.

Also, please note that designing a suspension point (from which you intend to lift/hang one or more people) should involve a very significant safety factor. A suspended person who can move can easily generate a live load two or three times their actual weight. A 5:1 loading factor is a good choice. Also, you're not always suspending just the suspended person... there are a number of scenarios in which I add my own weight to a suspended play partner (strap cage which squeezes tighter with more weight, and sex sling, for example). That's the same as suspending two people... which I've also done ;) Non-human lifting hardware will typically have a small safety factor, such as 1.3:1, which can be backed out to employ a higher one but is not sufficient for human lifting. So a common 1-ton chain hoist rated with a 1.3:1 safety factor is actually expected to hold a 2600# dead load, and can be used in a 500# rated system with a 5:1 safety factor.

For those with a high awareness of safety when playing alone, it should be easy to understand that even dropping someone from a few feet can be harmful and even deadly. This poor kid fell from standing height, knocking his head on a wall in the process, and died: http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/11/15/ ... at-school/. Don't forget that a 50 pound chain hoist may then fall ten feet to land on them. Having another person present isn't going to do anything to mitigate the damage. Proper construction does.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

lj wrote:A friend of mine has a wooden suspension frame
This is a very approachable DIY project. For many years I lived in apartments and then a rental duplex, and used the two frames shown here. The black one was with me for maybe ten years, and is still in use by a local kinky group. It breaks down to manageable components. It's major problem was the lack of height... hence the second, which used a 2-story stairway to provide something like 12 feet of lift clearance. Very limited play space down there, though!

http://www.saroftreve.com/workshop/framef.shtml