Electric Release

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
BornThisWay

Electric Release

Post by BornThisWay »

Electric Release - A DIY release method that uses an electro-magnet and a battery.
This release method is made possible by the electro-magnet out of a (24 Volt DC Relay)
What is a relay? It's simply a switch, much like a light switch in your house, but a small amount of electricity is used to turn it on and off. This one is rated to be used by 24 Volts of Direct Current.
In theory, it should be perfectly safe to use a 9V battery or a A23 (12V) battery.
I tested it with a 9V battery and it held my key ring for about 36 hours before the battery died and the key fell, and that battery wasn't even a new one. It was just one I found around the house (a bit too long of a session for me). Right now, I'm experimenting with the 12V battery shown here and it's been holding the key ring for 3.5 hours and hasn't fell yet (active testing during the time I posted this) I will let you know how long it actually held it once it falls.
A bit about safety: When trying to use a release method it's safest to use one that can't possibly fail. Ice is very dependable, unless the furnace goes out in winter. And of course you have to prep the ice which is a pain. The sun will always rise, but what if it's too cloudy to see the combination, or a dawn release just doesn't work with your schedule. A light in a timer has way too many things that can go wrong such as the power turns off, or the light burns out.
This release may have flaws as well, but so far the testing is going well. Nothing gets hot or warm, and it seems to be very dependable. Just like the peace of mind of knowing that your ice release WILL eventually melt, you know that your battery WILL run dead. The only question is when.
I look forward to sharing the results of this experiment with a variety of different power sources (including AC adapters and timers).
1-Relay.jpg
2-Inside.jpg
3-Disassemble.jpg
4-Battery 12V.jpg
5-Operational.jpg
BornThisWay

Re: Electric Release

Post by BornThisWay »

First A23 (12V) battery lasted 4 hours before the key fell. I'm going to repeat the experiment with the second battery that came in the pack.

Future testing will include making the key ring heavier to see if a 9V battery would be a good choice, I'm guessing that the heavier I make the key ring, the less time it will take to make the key fall.
I wish I had a scale so I could let you know how much the key ring currently weighs.
But just for FYI, the ring is not your typical key ring, It's a heavy duty ring, very similar to what you might expect to see on a hand grenade.
Key ring.JPG
connecting battery.JPG
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

You could also test some materials between your key ring and the magnet. Like thin cardboard, or some such thing. There will be less magnetic force because of the extra distance and so it will take less time before the force goes below the weight of the key ring.

And/Or you could add weight to the ring, say by adding dummy keys - that will make it more interesting, forcing you to try each after they fall into your reach.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

bound_jenny wrote:You could also test some materials between your key ring and the magnet. Like thin cardboard, or some such thing. There will be less magnetic force because of the extra distance and so it will take less time before the force goes below the weight of the key ring.

Jenny.
Good idea about material between the mag and the keys. It might be a solution to a problem I just encountered.

When the first battery failed at 4 hours there was actually an outside variable that interfered with the test. Basically I accidently bumped it and it fell. I tried to put the key ring back on the magnet but the battery was too low to hold anything. On the second battery I pulled the key ring off at 1 hour 30 minutes (on purpose this time) then tried to put it back on the magnet and it wouldn't hold after that. The battery was too weak. This makes me ask the question, how long would it have held if I didn't mess with it? I believe the phenomenon is something called "residual magnetic effect" which is really cool in making this a random key drop but the downside is if the keys are too light the residual magnetic effect might hold the key ring much longer than you want them to. In retrospect, I should have simply disconnected the battery. Regardless, I think the A23 Battery is the wrong choice. I'm going to go with a 9V battery and a heavier key ring. Also, I'm going to put a piece of electrical tape over it so there wont be a direct metal to metal contact.
Only issue is I'm fresh out of 9V batteries so this particular test will have to wait for now.

In the mean time I am going to connect an AC/DC adapter to a wall outlet to provide a strong and continuous magnet pull. I'll leave it connected all night and in the morning I will unplug it to see if the "residual magnetic effect" continues to hold the key ring when there is no power. (no tape between the key ring and magnet for this experiment)
AC-DC adapter.JPG
As you can see this AC/DC adapter (or transformer) provides 12V DC. The magnetic pull is substantially greater than the A23 battery. It can actually hold my car keys which consists of 14 keys, 3 rings, a car clicker, and a beer bottle opener. Again I wish I had a scale so I could give you the weight. Anyway, I'm going to be checking it often for overheating before I'm comfortable leaving it plugged in overnight.
R1.JPG
R1.JPG (26.99 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
R2.JPG
R3.JPG
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Burning through batteries can get expensive after awhile...
Might I suggest rechargeable batteries instead...
Cost more first time around, and may not last as long as regular batteries,
but, you can reuse them...
Another idea...
Large value capacitors...
like heavy duty filter caps...
quick to charge, as a current limiting resistor, and it should work like a battery....
When I was in tech school, a teacher related a story about a 1f (1,000,000 uf) cap running a turntable motor for 1 hour...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

I like your setup with the coils from electic relays. As you have noticed, the residual magnetism can be an issue. I found that a glow in the dark key ring tag and a key ring stress ball added enough weight to overcome the residual magnetism. Also, balancing the battery drain to size to get a good hour life can be difficult. It can take some math.

The coils you have are from 8501 KUD13V53 relays. This means they are 8501 series, K type, push terminal, DC voltage coils, 3PDT, and 24VDC coils. Since you are only using the coils, all of that information except the coils may be thrown away. I looked up the part number from your pictures to see the coil resistance or current draw. The KU has a standard draw of 1.5 Watt and a max of 3. At 24V, this gives 0.0625 A standard and 0.125 A max. This range gives 192 to 384 Ohm per coil with the higher number being standard. At lower voltages, the current will be even lower. At 9 volts, 384 Ohm yeilds 0.0234 Amp. This means a good 0.900 Amp Hour 9 volt battery would go 38.4 hours before being dead. You got 36! Impressive.

The coils I used years ago were 12V from automotive relays which pulled 0.25 Amp and when used in parallel pull 0.5 Amp. With rechargeable AA batteries, the life was not so good. Needed 2 sets of 8 in parallel to approach 8 hours. Had 2x 8 bay chargers to recharge all of them afterward. You could buy a couple rechargeable lithium 9v batteries with different Amp hours to reduce the run time and still have an easier time charging batteries!

You may want a circuit to kill the power when the power drops below a certain level. In times past, I wanted to do this also, but never did. The Rechargeable Lithium batteries may be purchased with protective circuits built in to shut them off when the voltage drops down to the lower limit. Most of them have this. If they are protected, they do this. Problem solved.

So, a 9V battery lasts too long. The rechargeable ones can be bought with lower lifes, like half or less of normal Alkalines. This brings your time down to around 18 hours. May still be too long. Run dual coils in parallel. This will double the current draw and cut the time in half again. Now, we are down to 9 hours. From here, you could add either another coil for 6 hours or something else to use energy. In my device, I had a switch available that would just light up green. That light wasted extra energy and cut off 2 hours off of the full 8 batteries. With your coils, standard LEDs could be used to add another significant energy draw. One LED string could pull as much power as one of your coils. Two stings could equal two coils and double your current draw. This would again cut the time in half and take the battery time down to 4.5 hours guesstimated. Not bad.

I like your setup and the coils you selected. The math comes out real nice for them. Just think, an extra coil could drop an extra key (why I ran duals). You have the start of a really nice key drop! Enjoy.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

Thank You Riddle,
The results from the AC/DC transformer were very positive. The electro-magnet worked great and was not hot or even warm. I'm sure the temp rose a little but nothing noticeable by touch. The transformer was a slightly warm, but no more than any other transformer I'm using for their intended purposes.
After unplugging the transformer the key held for an additional 2 seconds before falling.

I'm no expert in magnet theory but I do have my own theory on why the magnet reacted the way it did with my batteries.
I suspect that once a residual magnetic field is established and applied to a load (key ring in this case) it only takes a trickle of electricity to maintain it. Once the power is cut completely or the load is pulled off, the iron molecules fall out of alignment and it cant be reestablished without a significant amount of electricity.

Anyway, there is more I want to say, but if I do, I will be late for work.....
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

The wall transformer contains a circuit to convert AC to DC and part of that is fairly large capacitors. The 2 second delay would have been how long it took for them to discharge through the coil.

The residual magnetism is likely causing the skewed results from the second and third battery test. The A23 battery only has 55mAH of energy and should be good for less than one hour. Repeated exposure to magnets can make some things like key rings more magnetic and more clingy. Residual magnetism is not something you want in a release; it can hold forever until broken. You want something that releases fairly quick every time.

I would recommend finding something that has a low residual magnatism. Laminate steel is a good choice. I used finishing nails bundled together with the ends filed smooth. Electrical tape or hot glue holds well. A ziptie secured at the sides can form a loop to hold a key. For added safety, it could be covered in foam padding.

Another option is a coil without a metal center. This way, there is no worry of residual magnetism. These coils may be found at your local home improvement store in the sprinkler section. They come with plunger in the center; remove it and the spring. No more residual magnetism.

Magnet theory in this case is as simple as Ohm's law since this is a DC current and 1 magnetic field. Amps = Volts / resistance. The key ring does not act as a load on the electrical circuit and will not change the current draw. Stick the coil on a 1 ton plate or 1 kg plate and the battery life will be the same. Feel free to test this.

Now, electromagnets get complicated when things start changing. A change in the current changes the strength of the magnetic field. The magnetic field will act against changes to the current and will slow its rate of change. Unlike capacitors and motors, electromagnets start with a lower current flow and rise to max. When the power is switched off, electromagnets try to hold the current steady and it slopes down to a halt. Resistors are often added to relays to make them switch off faster. With your size coil, the rise time is milliseconds and the fall time with resistor is comparable. For further information, Wikipedia has a good article on electromagnets.

To make the current change in an electromagnet, the conditions of Ohm's law must change. This is how electromagnets, motors, generators, and transformers work. Stall most electric motors and they will smoke. The current flow through motors, generators, and transformers are determined by the interaction between two changing fields. The full explanation is best left to Wikipedia or other websites dedicated for such knowledge.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Residual magnetism is also completely rid of when I coil powered by an AC power supply (without your transformer rectifier and capacitor)
For the mains supply is for your coil better to use just the AC source.
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

Riddle, interesting. If the 2 seconds of delay was due to the discharging capacitors then the last experiment wasn't noticeably affected by residual magnetism. Which is strange due to the magnetic field being much stronger than the A23 battery. The first A23 battery was holding for 4 hours before I accidently bumped it and it fell. The second A23 was holding it until I pulled it off a 1.5 hours then would not hold it when I put it on again. I simply can't wrap my mind around why since I did not disconnect the battery, unless the act of pulling the key ring off affected the core in some way.
I'm not saying that anything you said is wrong, you are most likely theoretically sound. But the results of the test aren't matching up with the theory quite so well.
I honestly think that if I just made my key ring heavier and put a material between the magnet and key ring as bound_jenny suggested it should overcome residual magnetism.
bound_jenny wrote:You could also test some materials between your key ring and the magnet. Like thin cardboard, or some such thing. There will be less magnetic force because of the extra distance and so it will take less time before the force goes below the weight of the key ring.
I also suspect that unless the key ring is extremely light, there shouldn't be an issue of it holding forever.
More experimenting is needed.
Since I have 3 coils, I can run three tests simultaneously. I'll start off with three new identical key rings that I have never used with a magnetic field. That will rule out my key ring developing it's own magnetism. I will use new 9V batteries of the same manufacturer and expiration date. Make the key rings substantially heavier and all of the same weight. And finally I will put a medium between the two. I'm hoping for consistency in time between all of them.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Riddle wrote: ...You may want a circuit to kill the power when the power drops below a certain level. In times past, I wanted to do this also, but never did. The Rechargeable Lithium batteries may be purchased with protective circuits built in to shut them off when the voltage drops down to the lower limit. Most of them have this. If they are protected, they do this. Problem solved....
For a simple kill circuit, have the main battery energize a relay so that when the voltage drops below a certain level it will disconnect the battery
and thus turn off the magnetic coil...

(Pic if needed.)
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

The thought of self-discharging batteries is alluring!

But IMHO you have used that much time and energy already to make it work (hoping to have a reasonably reliable timing) that it really isn't worth it.

Why not use a micro-processor as a timer instead, letting it cut the power to the magnet when time is up?

Or just use the "solder delay"?
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

It's already worth it. If I wanted to have known release time I could simply connect the transformer to a wall timer.
Perfect timing.JPG
And let's face it, ice isn't an exact timing method as it is.
I would be comfortable using this for real if I used it in this way:
Have two electromagnets, One connected to a battery that you know will not fail even if the timing was unpredictable. The second electromagnet connected to a timer such as the one shown.
If the power goes out (Presto, your keys falls)
If the timer fails and never drops the key (just wait for the battery to die on your other electromagnet)

Regardless of whether I can obtain a consistent key drop from batteries, the variables of key ring weight and residual magnetism are a challenge. But no more predictable than melting ice.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

I believe BornThisWay is doing excellent work towards making his own timer he likes. Amusingly enough, I last used ice years after disassembling the electromagnet release. Have not used either in 5 years, but have considered using another electromagnet recently given my current situation. My favorite is pneumatic latches, but bolting those to something is not discrete.
BornThisWay wrote:It's already worth it. If I wanted to have known release time I could simply connect the transformer to a wall timer.
Perfect timing.JPG
And let's face it, ice isn't an exact timing method as it is.
I would be comfortable using this for real if I used it in this way:
Have two electromagnets, One connected to a battery that you know will not fail even if the timing was unpredictable. The second electromagnet connected to a timer such as the one shown.
If the power goes out (Presto, your keys falls)
If the timer fails and never drops the key (just wait for the battery to die on your other electromagnet)

Regardless of whether I can obtain a consistent key drop from batteries, the variables of key ring weight and residual magnetism are a challenge. But no more predictable than melting ice.
Good ideas. I also like your suggestion about adding more weight, using 3 new identical key rings, and adding a media (electrical tape?) between and then testing again from a previous post. Hopefully, we can get this clarified.

This brings us back back to residual magnetism. I agree with bound_jenny that adding weight or a piece of material between the two will greatly reduce it. In my first post, I mentioned key ring accessories to add weight. Even more keys could do it. Something bulky and soft or glowing may be prefered over more sharp points. Personal preference.

Residual magnetism is the magnetic field that remains after the electricity goes away. Part of this is the metal in the center of the coil; it is a material that concentrates the magnetic force but is not a magnet. It will act like a magnet when in a magnetic field. It also remains like a very weak magnet as long as the field is touching another magnetic object. When the key ring or relay plate gets pulled off, its strength dies. This is half the issue.

The other half is the part being pulled. Steel objects can be magnetized by putting into a magnetic field. If you wipe your heavy duty key rings on a strong magnet north to south, you will likely be able to magnetize them and make them stick to steel plates. More rubs means stronger field until the limit is reached. A key may or may not be enough to overcome the strength of the key ring itself. Every time you stick the key ring to the coil, you could be magnetizing it more. We do not want the magnet to permanently stick in this case.

So, we know what residual magnetism is. What do we want to do about it? There are 3 options: adding space, adding weight, or reducing its effects. The answer is yours to decide.

Adding space reduces the amount of force acting between them by an inverse square law. A single piece of electrical tape over the end of the electromagnet would substantially reduce the holding force of it. I would do the math for you, but my calculator does not like dividing by zero. Odds are good that the coil will still hold a key for basically the same time, but with slightly less enthusiasm. Jenny has a good idea here.

Adding weight was my favorite until 20 keys and a padlock drop on a tender spot. Just like space, this one will fix it easily. What I did was test the stength of the magnet at half to 2/3rds voltage and weight the keys to barely hold here. Doing this will make for nearly instant drops. It can also make for heavy drops. Adding softer and bulkier things are my preference. I got a tobacco cessation stress ball keychain that is a personal favorite. Bright red, easy to find, and personal joke. First thought after bondage: nicotine time. Depending on how much weight is added, the key can drop earlier than a dead battery, but it will still reliably hold to that point except in Japan. Dropping noticeably earlier is better than never.

The last option is to find a way to reduce the residual magnetism. This is where a person tries to reduce the residual magnetism of the coil or try different things to hold against the magnet. Some materials are better magnets than others. Some hold a field better. Iron makes good magnets. Steel almost as well. Some things will attract without becoming a magnet. The armatures of relays are made of metals specially designed to be attracted without attracting. They also have heavy springs. The issue here is cost and shape. Is this something I want falling with my keys?

By using all-plastic and copper coils, I know it will not hold my key ever. I even tested with a magnetic screwdriver to confirm no iron. I modified a handcuff key for this use by removing the tab and pin from it. It became the rod that went in the center. As long as the coil is energized, it stays hard; deenergized, it just drops out. This is my current favorite.

I have also used nails to make a laminated steel object. Basically, multiple pieces of metal all get a weak magnetic field, but they oppose their neighboring fields after the main field leaves and they cancel each other out. Makes it very reactive to electromagnets, but also so they do not interfere. Transformers, electric motors, and generators are made this way using epoxy. How about short (1/2") finishing nails epoxied into a Chapstick lid with a miniature screw eyelet stuck through from the other end? A small, round, inert weight.

At this point, one may ask why do I care? Well, for one, I do not like statistics and chance. For another, I have experience with using these as a release. My tests and months of experience were promising. Then, one day, statistics and chance decided to pay a visit. :facepalm: My keyring had gotten thoroughly magnetized and would not drop. Tests later confirmed, the keyring was thoroughly magnetized and would no longer drop under the previously tested conditions. Oops. The difference between a magnet holding an extra hour and a extra week is extremely small. May you avoid the experience. Safer that way.
slkdyk

Post by slkdyk »

Since you are getting all teckie. How about a circuit that has a very long RC time constant to release or it will reset before it is released. Where the time is determined by a cap and some resistance to operate a relay as described in another post. As the resistance is reduced the time drops. Determine RC values that approximate galvanic skin values for the R for the timer. If you need to reduce the time to get out put the pads somewhere that could get wet and the resistance reduced causing the timer to activate/deactivate, as needed, to get the key. Knees are usually pretty dry and able to get very wet under some conditions. I'm sure your imagination and drinking lots of water will help with the idea, also check out some of Cindy's drawings.

sd
Sorry I couldn't answer the phone, I was tied up at the moment....