self made handcuffs

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
CaptainJoe

self made handcuffs

Post by CaptainJoe »

I had this piece of flat iron, 1000x5x25mm, lying around for some time.
My only idea was to make some kind of restraint, but that was no plan, just a rough direction.
So I put it in a vice, bent it and came about with a horseshoe-like bend in one end.
With a bit more bending it fitted snugly around my wrist, but that's still a long way to go for a restraint.

First idea was to make something medieval like a darby style cuff, but as I can neither weld nor bend an eye for a hinge from 5mm steel, I had to scrap that idea. Instead of a hinge I had to come up with a design consisting of two parts: a U-bent part and a bar with a plug and a hole as second part.
Manufactoring the raw parts was quite quick, but with all the fine tuning for a tight fit it took me about three hours for one cuff.

see the attachment and/or my deviant art gallery for pictures.
http://captainj03.deviantart.com/gallery/

Joe.
Attachments
self made handcuffs
self made handcuffs
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
TheWingmen

Re: self made handcuffs

Post by TheWingmen »

Nicely done! I do enjoy the raw handmade look of em. I assume they function well? How difficult are they to put on by yourself due to the fact that the locking bar isn't attached?
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Very nice work. :D
TheWingmen wrote:I do enjoy the raw handmade look
That's what gives them that little extra charm. :love:

Or that little extra ominous quality, if you're on the receiving end of them. :twisted:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

An unusual solution.

I like it!
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Really nice idea. I like the Darby style and padlock closure. Found it amusing that you used mortise and tenon joints at both ends of the bar and used the padlock to "pin" it in place. Had to look to see who had woodworking and blacksmithing in their signature. :rofl:

Should be really easy to use for self bondage if the fit of the parts is right. If the fit is off, keep filing and fitting. With care, these would be easier to use than most other options.

I like that anyone could make these with a drill, a hacksaw, and a couple metal files. Figure $25 plus for the drill, $50 max for other bits and tools, and $25 for material, a person could go from nothing to something for under $100. A little more matterial would add matching ankle shackles and collar.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hi all,
thanks for the praise :)
Riddle wrote:I like the Darby style and padlock closure. Found it amusing that you used mortise and tenon joints at both ends of the bar and used the padlock to "pin" it in place. Had to look to see who had woodworking and blacksmithing in their signature. :rofl:
"mortise and tenon" - thanks a lot for the words, that's nothing you ever learn at school.
The design is inspired by insex, but more in a back-of-the-mind way than as a prototype. I've attached a pic, if the mods consider it copyright violation please scrap it.
What I really like about the design is the broad surface which spreads the pressure to a large area. You can fight your bonds with all of your strength without bruises, which is quite unusual for metal restraints.
Riddle wrote:Should be really easy to use for self bondage if the fit of the parts is right. If the fit is off, keep filing and fitting.
keep grinding... that was the toughest part, the result is a really smooth fit.
Easy to use for SB. You just put them around your wrist and thread the padlock through the hole - no need to close them right now. You may connect the two cuffs with a short length of chain, or fix them to a belly chain.
Using the same lock for both cuffs is too restrictive for SB.
Riddle wrote:I like that anyone could make these with a drill, a hacksaw, and a couple metal files. Figure $25 plus for the drill, $50 max for other bits and tools, and $25 for material, a person could go from nothing to something for under $100. A little more matterial would add matching ankle shackles and collar.
yes, that's why I finally shared this work, as Rain from Australia has to dodge those stupid anti-handcuff laws.
I've made an ankle shackle in the same design, but it has too many sharp edges that pinch the achilles tendon.

Joe.
Attachments
_insex_shackles.jpg
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Darby style leg irons do exist. These could be made for the ankles, but the design would have to be more considerate of the tendon. A looser, rounded fit that rests below the tendon when standing would be one method. Rounding the edges and smoothing them as much as possible would also be important. The nice thing about ankles are how much larger the foot is than the ankle.

Then again, I find handcuff style leg irons to be rather comfortable when applied loosely. They have sharp edges and very little surface area, but are adjustable. These can feel like they are almost going to fall off, but will not slide over the foot. No amount of trying will get them over the foot.

I believe that taking the measurements differently for the ankle and leaving extra room for the tendons would allow secure ankle shackles. Measure around the foot to see how big it must be to slide off and measure around the ankle while standing. This gives the upper and lower limits. Stay to the upper side and they will fit fine.

For Darby styles and these in particular, the closure mechanism pinching the tendons could be an issue. To avoid this, we can merely make our restraints more rectangular as Darby wrist cuffs often are. Place the bar to the side of the ankle and it should be fine. Will take more figuring and fitting, but will make for better shackles.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

really nice work, joe.
[
BornThisWay

Post by BornThisWay »

Very Cool :)
Rain