Moldable plastic for kinky DIY items

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
MSpike

Moldable plastic for kinky DIY items

Post by MSpike »

I recently got a jar of InstaMorph heat-setting moldable plastic, and it's great for making almost any small device you can devise. Simply dump the pellets in very hot, but not boiling water, let them melt together, and form the shape you want with your fingers. It can also be packed into a mold, if you have a particular shape you need. The plastic will stuck to some materials while it's soft, so experiment.
InstMold2.jpg
The photo shows Rope Ratchet hooks turned into loops, two cock rings with teeth and attachment loops, and a padlock with the opening resized to hold a cock (teeth could be added to it, also). The W-shaped device is a ball holder, with an attachment loop (weight, crotch rope, etc.) on the bottom, and a separate cock ring . It can be held in place with a simple 3/8 inch diameter wooden dowel, locked on and fastened to other items with an aluminum tube drilled for locks, or turned into a humbler with wrist loops by using a longer tube. There is also a mini butt plug. For scale, the wooden dowel is 3 3/8 in. long.

If the plastic starts to harden before you're finished, put it, or just the part you're working on, back in the hot water until it turns clear and soft again. Hardened plastic can be drilled, filed, sanded, or carved with a sharp knife. It gets quite hard, not like silicone. Leftover pieces and failed projects can go back in the jar to be remelted and used again.

I got mine from Amazon, but it's widely available.

Happy molding,
Mar Lingspike
ruru67

Re: Moldable plastic for kinky DIY items

Post by ruru67 »

I got 8lb (3.5 kg) of the stuff direct from www.instamorph.com a couple of years ago, and have been steadily working through it. Looks like they're not shipping jars directly any more, just the bulk packs.

What I do with the stuff is do the initial heating in water, then use a heat gun to keep it warm while I work it. You can also let parts of it set while working detail parts. It cools slowly, so you can just give it a quick blast with the gun to get the surface hot and that stops it setting on you. So you can make the larger structures, let them cool, then make smaller detail parts, sticking them on by heating the surface of the large part with the gun. That's a lot easier than trying to do the detailing when the whole thing is a bit floppy. I consider the heat gun pretty much essential to working with the stuff.

When finished, I roll the excess very flat, which makes it easy to soften again using the heat gun, which is a bit quicker (and generally less annoying) than heating with water.
BigMan

Post by BigMan »

This stuff is great. One should keep in mind that it is porous, and so some precautions may be needed for insertables. Other then that a little time playing with it and you will soon find you can make a lot of items of different shapes, sizes, and designs. I have found fine details are difficult to produce but other then that, if you can think it up you can probably mold it with this.
MSpike

Re: Moldable plastic for kinky DIY items - Bulk package

Post by MSpike »

RURU67, thanks for the heat gun tip. I'll try it soon. Bulk packages are still available from http://www.instamorph.com; you have to click on the bulk packages button on the Store page (USD 125 for 8 lb., plus ~30 USD for shipping to Australia). They also have a store on E-bay.

Do you have any projects you would like to post pictures of? I'm thinking about a lump wrapped around the ratchet arm of a handcuff, to prevent over-tightening. You might loose the "swing-through" capability, but that's more for speed anyway.

Thanks again,
Mar Lingspike
TheWingmen

Post by TheWingmen »

Mar Lingspike wrote:RURU67, thanks for the heat gun tip. I'll try it soon. Bulk packages are still available from http://www.instamorph.com; you have to click on the bulk packages button on the Store page (USD 125 for 8 lb., plus ~30 USD for shipping to Australia). They also have a store on E-bay.

Do you have any projects you would like to post pictures of? I'm thinking about a lump wrapped around the ratchet arm of a handcuff, to prevent over-tightening. You might loose the "swing-through" capability, but that's more for speed anyway.

Thanks again,
Mar Lingspike
Or you could use a pair of nicer cuffs with a double lock, so they wont overtighten? Works great for me!
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

maybe it could be used to make a set of handcuffs with a chain into a set of rigid cuffs by applying it over the chain and a bit on each cuff?
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Mar Lingspike wrote:Do you have any projects you would like to post pictures of? I'm thinking about a lump wrapped around the ratchet arm of a handcuff, to prevent over-tightening. You might loose the "swing-through" capability, but that's more for speed anyway.
If you're going to forgo the swing-through, you could line the entire cuff, which would make the things much less obnoxious in terms of skin lacerations, nerve damage and so-on that police style cuffs risk.

You can use the stuff to make actual, moulded on, no join cuffs, e.g. this (you'll need a FetLife login to follow that link). I don't have a pic, but I have had cuffs joined by a length of chain embedded in each cuff. Note that you need a plan for getting them off again before contemplating something like this. Aviation snips work well for thicknesses up to ~ 1/4" or more - and you can re-use the cut-off cuffs by heating the open ends with the heat gun before re-applying.

I've got a few toys made with it, including a couple of gags. I find it kinda useful to have around the house.
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

have you ever tried to make a complete head cast from the sholders up?
freddylocks

Post by freddylocks »

I had some of this as a trial when it very first came out.
Although I didn't do a full head cast per se, I did make a mask with it.
I heated it, then flattened it, once I had a piece that was big enough I allowed it to cool very slightly, then I placed it over my face and allowed it to set. The first couple of attempts failed. However I managed to create a good face mould that fit my face so perfectly that no rubber mask has ever been able to create the same feeling. I made a mouth hole first so that I could breath while waiting for the plastic to set (a matter of seconds really).

The intention was to make more items from it but alas I was a student at the time and finances didn't permit.

It was an amazing face mask and had hoped to make a real mannequin so I could be placed in a shop as part of one of my fantasies.

Cheers
Freddy
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

tiemeupalso wrote:have you ever tried to make a complete head cast from the sholders up?
Well, I've considered it. But not tried. You'd need, oh, probably near a pound of the stuff, and working it into sheets is quite difficult - it gets quite floppy, and sticks to itself on touch. You need to attack a problem like that in stages. Also, note that putting a hole in a sheet of the stuff when soft is harder than it looks - for a lot of things it's actually easier to form holes by wrapping and joining.

I wouldn't do a whole head encasement in one go (like a cast), for a couple of reasons. First, the heat as it cools has to go somewhere, and into your head is not really a good idea. Secondly, unlike casts, this stuff does not come apart easily. You can't reheat it when it's tight on someone's body, you're going to have to cut it, and that's something you want to do carefully, not with a panicking partner. DO NOT do this to yourself.

Basically, If you want to do something like this, you'll need to do it in stages, and do independent front and back halves with some kind of mechanical fastening, not all in one piece. (Then you get to use it again!) Staging is fairly easy, so do the part, and let it cool. When you're ready with the next part, use the heat gun to soften the mating edge on the cooled part, and the next part will stick nicely, and the cooled part will provide a bit of rigidity to work with.

Oh, and if you want the stuff to not stick to stuff (itself, other things), cover the surface you don't want it sticking to with food wrap. I'd suggest covering hair if you're going to mould it to someone's head. You can always smooth out any creases from the wrap afterwards.
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

have you tried cutting this stuff with a vibrating saw such as a cast saw?that is what i was thnking you could do and then you would have a perfect fitting head mask made to fit.
MSpike

Post by MSpike »

Cutting the hardened material with a power saw does not work very well. I used a scroll saw (fine jigsaw), but the heat even from the small blade softened the material and it stuck back to itself. A hacksaw blade and a coping saw (hand saw that looks like a giant cheese cutter) worked OK, but the cut needed trimming with a sharp knife for smoothness.

I tried my electric heat gun on low, with a small nozzle, and that worked well for softening a small area on a larger project.

Mar Lingspike
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Yeah, power tools overheat the work surprisingly quickly, which just results in the plastic gripping the tool and not cutting. You have to go real slow. As I said earlier, for cutting the stuff when cold, aviation snips are my go-to tool. A hacksaw will work (again if you go slow) for pieces that are thicker than the snips can bite into but hacksaw injuries hurt a lot, so you need to be really careful if using it to cut a piece off a body part.

The reason cast saws work on casts is that they basically pulverise the plaster/fibreglass at the tool head. PCL is totally different stuff, and does not pulverise under that kind of attack.

Using a heat gun to soften PCL all the way through against skin is a pretty good way to cause burns. It's also slow. Use snips. (You can soften and clean up the edges afterwards.)

Seriously, do it in two halves and have a mechanical join, it'll be both safer and easier. It's easy to attach hardware to PCL, you can just make "rivets" out of softened PCL and push them through screw mounting holes in the fastenings to the work below (after heating the work with a heat gun). If you want, you can then put a layer on top of the mountings to give it a more integrated look.