Wireless locking devices

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
chaste175

Wireless locking devices

Post by chaste175 »

Hello everyone!

Right now I'm busy on a project I though some of you might me interested in. It consists of two (or more) PCB's. One is connected to your PC via USB and can be controlled though a piece of software I'll develop soon. I'd like to ad the possibility for third party software to control this device as well. This USB device drives a wireless transmitter and PCB 2 has a receiver connected to it. This PCB drives a relay, which can control unlimited devices. This makes it possible to move your devices and ensures you're not tied to the PC (or are you? ;) ). You do need a 12V power input for the receiver, but for me the extended range between PC and device is a big pro. A 12V battery could be used, but I wouldn't recommend it...
If preferred, you could make several receivers, which all automatically listen to the same transmitter. When the software releases you, it switches off all relais instead of just one.

Of course safety is my first priority, and that's why I want to make this device as safe as possible. As soon as your PC shuts down, power fails, the software crashes, a PCB burns out or the wireless signal is lost, the receiver waits 5 seconds for the signal to be restored, and ultimately shuts down if the signal is lost completely due to one of the causes listed above. This ensures you don't stay locked up when something fails.

In my case, this is my setup (just an example): the selfbondage motion detector software is running on the PC. As a punishment, it adds time to the software controlling the wireless devices. The PC wirelessly keeps the relais in ON mode until time runs out, then it automatically switches off. To the relais, I connect an electromagnet which keeps a stock locked.

I hope you like my project! Maybe I can post some pictures shortly...
Last edited by chaste175 on 23 Feb 2015, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
qwerty212

Re: Wireless locking devices

Post by qwerty212 »

That sounds mega!

Can wait to test it, thanks for sharing it with us.

Greets from Barcelona
jands

Post by jands »

Hi chaste175,

How is the project going?
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

chaste175 wrote:This ensures you stay locked up when something fails.
sounds dangerous. If anything fails you should be released.

Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
chaste175

Post by chaste175 »

Hi everyone, the project is coming along nicely. Been working on a mini stock for this project lately. I'm planning on etching the PCB's, they are currently on a development board. After that, I'll try posting some pictures!
CaptainJoe wrote:sounds dangerous. If anything fails you should be released.

Joe.
I'm sorry, Joe, apparently I've made a typo. The objective was, unlike conventional wirelessly controlled switches, to switch off when something fails. That's exactly what happens right now. When something fails (power, signal, PCB etc.), the receiver waits 5 seconds for the connection to be restored. Otherwise, it powers off. I corrected it immediately in my first post
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

One suggestion, if you have experience in coding for embedded systems or are willing to learn a bit.

Get a micro- arduino or STM type of mini microprocessor board either including a small 433 mhz receiver like these: http://www.instructables.com/id/RF-3154 ... -and-Ardu/

Use a pair of lithium batteries or 4 AA batteries to power the receiver and holding system so if all else fails it will run out of juice and drop anyway. Write the code on the receiver ( on or near the lock or key mechanism ) to have a fixed maximum delay, a few hours or so. Have the receiver implement a watchdog timer where if it has not heard from the transmitter for some time, let's say 5 minutes it can release.

Periodically send a code from the transmitter to the receiver that includes the amount of time remaining and a checksum so that interference doesn't cause an early drop.

A simple way is send a string like this, "030 xzy 030" and if the receiver doesn't see the matching numbers and code it ignores the packet and keeps counting down. When it hits 0 it releases the relay which drops the key or unlocks something.

A small 12v holding magnet like they sell on ebay will easily hold up a key on 6v and draw around 150ma. With the relay and arduino nano a set of 4 AA batterys could last 8 hours.

If there is interest, I could code this up, all I'd need is to order one of the rx-tx pairs and a battery holder...
chaste175

Post by chaste175 »

AssTechWarrior wrote:One suggestion, if you have experience in coding for embedded systems or are willing to learn a bit.

Get a micro- arduino or STM type of mini microprocessor board either including a small 433 mhz receiver like these: http://www.instructables.com/id/RF-3154 ... -and-Ardu/

Use a pair of lithium batteries or 4 AA batteries to power the receiver and holding system so if all else fails it will run out of juice and drop anyway. Write the code on the receiver ( on or near the lock or key mechanism ) to have a fixed maximum delay, a few hours or so. Have the receiver implement a watchdog timer where if it has not heard from the transmitter for some time, let's say 5 minutes it can release.

Periodically send a code from the transmitter to the receiver that includes the amount of time remaining and a checksum so that interference doesn't cause an early drop.

A simple way is send a string like this, "030 xzy 030" and if the receiver doesn't see the matching numbers and code it ignores the packet and keeps counting down. When it hits 0 it releases the relay which drops the key or unlocks something.

A small 12v holding magnet like they sell on ebay will easily hold up a key on 6v and draw around 150ma. With the relay and arduino nano a set of 4 AA batterys could last 8 hours.

If there is interest, I could code this up, all I'd need is to order one of the rx-tx pairs and a battery holder...
What you describe is more or less what I have made. I work with PIC devices (PIC18F4550 and PIC16F628A to be precisely) which are connected to the exact receiver and transmitter you linked to. An almost continuous stream of data is transmitted to keep te receiver alive. When no data (with the correct address of course) is received, relais are powered off, just to be sure. I don't run the receiver on a battery just to make it extra safe. Instead, I use a 12V transformer, since I also use a 12V magnet to keep a stock closed (which works fairly well, actually). This way, the device also switches off when power fails. I add an extra 230V timer for extra security. The message looks as follows:

A
B Common system address, to which the receivers listens to distinguish messages from noise
C
--------------
D
E Specific device address, which allows you to add more devices to the system
F
--------------
0 redundant, for later use
1 'Power relais' signal
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

Twisted minds think alike