Perverting the "L Delay":

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Sir Cumference

Perverting the "L Delay":

Post by Sir Cumference »

I was lounging in the Castle Cumference library the other day.
It has a nice mix of books about science, erotica, military history and Lady C's stacks upon stack of Jane Austen, Nora Roberts and teenage vampire soft-erotica.....
:shock:

I was reading about the "L Delay" used by the SOE, and Jenny's :"the military invent it, we pervert it" came to mind.

The L Delay works by applying a pull to a lead rod. Defects are formed, and can migrate in the crystal structure of lead. It will stretch, and eventually break.... And it does so in a repeatable manner!
image.jpg
Off to the castle workshop!

After a bit of preliminary testing, I hung a 500g weight from a 5 cm long piece of 0,7mm lead-tin-copper electronics solder (Stannol).
(I also had fun coding a timer, to log when the solder broke. And figuring out how to to attach the solder to both the weight and the fixture)

The first three tests were interesting.
104 minutes
124 minutes
And 124 minutes

Edit: and number four just dropped at 99 minutes.

I'll do some more tests, but this could be an interesting (and dry) alternative to the ice delay.
And dropping a significant weight could be used pull pins, rip off clothes pegs and the like.
:mrgreen:

And some new and used delay-elements:
image.jpg
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Re: Perverting the "L Delay":

Post by bound_jenny »

Fascinating experiments... Probably with a more consistent source of lead the timing could be even more reliable.
Sir Cumference wrote:Jenny's :"the military invent it, we pervert it" came to mind.
Glad to see that I'm a source of inspiration! :hi:

Usually it's terror. :whip:
Sir Cumference wrote:I was lounging in the Castle Cumference library the other day.
It has a nice mix of books about science, erotica, military history and Lady C's stacks upon stack of Jane Austen, Nora Roberts and teenage vampire soft-erotica.....
:shock:
Sounds like a nice comfy place to have a cup of hot coffee and some good reading (from either side of the library, though mostly the science and history stuff).

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
MKu

Post by MKu »

The sketch in your post reminded me somehow of this:

This is a fuse which operates on solder. The hardened solder blocks the splint (S) and the tensioned spring (F)[left pic]. The solder is then heated by a current through the heating coil (W). The liquified solder releases splint and spring and the splint is moved by the spring [right pic].

Below a photo of a fuse block:
Indeed over time people got knowledge but no wisdom.

Accidents do not happen, they are caused.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

MKu wrote:The sketch in your post reminded me somehow of this:

I agree, that there are similarities, but the basic principle is completely different.

Your gizmo uses a "fusible link". When the temperature gets high enough, the link melts, and a connection is broken, a spring-loaded plunger moves or something similar.
But it requires some kind of heating effect. It is typically used in electrical systems like the one you pictured, in mechanical systems (an over heated bearing) or process system, where over-heating requires action. I also know of some fuze systems, where the heat from a pyrotechnical delay melt a link, allowing the firing chain to line up.

..... Coming to think of it, our wonderful ice-delays are actually a low temperature variant of the fusible link!
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Back to some data:

Tests with 500g and 0,7mm solder.
In all cases mounted with a knot in each end.

All times are in minutes.

I'm not quite satisfied. It would be OK for a backup release activating after an hour or two..... But it must be possible to do better than that.

More tests!
(Ok, I'm a nerd, I like testing things :mrgreen: )
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Sir Cumference wrote:
More tests!
(Ok, I'm a nerd, I like testing things :mrgreen: )
If that's true, here's the challenge: Try to find out in how far and in wich direction the time is affected by:

a) The diameter of the solder used
b) The temperature of the surrounding air, liquid, whatever else comes to your mind
c) The mixture of metals used in the solder
d) Whatever other parameters I have forgotten
:wink: :mrgreen:

More seriously I must say I like both the idea and the rather unforseeable release time. Maybe I should join the research team?
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

And the way it is attached in the ends!
image.jpg
Carefully folding the solder around the ring, then securing it with hot melt glue.

The first broke after 195 minutes. There was only 10mm free wire between the blobs of gjue.
The second one broke after 223 minutes.

Why did it hold up for so long? Either because it was not weakened by the knot, or because the wire was short?

As for some of the other ones.

Larger diameter = longer time
Higher temperature = shorter time
Work hardening = longer time
Damaged wire = shorter time
Alloy = alloy dependent
Length of wire= ? (The results are inconclusive so far)

The art is not to complicate matters, the art is to isolate and lock as many parameters as possible, to have repeatability and consistence.

That is why I will use the same solder and only work at room temperature.

===
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

i love the unpredictability of the times.it gives a sense o f"is this thing ever gona break"?

would be great for self bondage,not knowing when and wondering if ever i would get out.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Once a roll of solder has been tested, and is has demonstrated that it can break, I feel very confident that it will break.

And yes, maybe a 10-30% variation is not that bad anyway.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

More results, and a pattern is emerging!
5cm solder, hot glued, 17 deg C
5cm solder, hot glued, 17 deg C
This is basically repeating the previous experiment, but Lady C performed the dreaded Rising Of The Eye-brow with regards to having a semi-permanent experimental set-up in the dining room, and I retreated to a more isolated part of the castle.

This changed the temperature, and going from approximately 21 C to 17 C, made the delay longer (as expected).

The starting length of the solder pieces was 5 cm.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

How about the length of the solder?

7 cm pieces were used instead of 5 cm, and the delay was shortened.
7 cm solder, 17 C, hot glue
7 cm solder, 17 C, hot glue
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

How about the ends?

When you play with ropes, you quickly learn, that knots can reduce the strength dramatically.

7 cm solder, 15mm folded around the ring, and the working part twisted around the standing part.

It reduced the delay, and the solder broke (standing part) just inside the first twist.
7 cm, twisted ends
7 cm, twisted ends
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

And then finally:
Making a loop from a piece of 7 cm solder.

It held up for 1474 minutes!
7cm in a loop
7cm in a loop
But it stretched and broke like it was supposed to.

This also means, that I would expect a single strand of solder to hold for a similar time with 250g..... Yet another experiment on the list (it will be part of the "weight series experiment").
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Conclusion so far:

I think it is working in a testable, repeatable and reasonably predictable way.

I would not use a solder delay if exact timing was needed (we have micro controllers for that anyway :mrgreen: ), but if it is tested before "serious" use, it will give a low tech and reliable release like an ice timer, but without the water and with a relatively simpler system.

The dropping of a significant weight can be an advantage, and could be used to rip clothes pegs from tender parts or pulling a pin from a mechanical constraint, but should of course also be caught in a safe manner, by dropping on a pillow or into a box cowered with a carpet.

Coming up:
- Hot-glued loop (that should take a loooooong time)
- time as a function of the suspended weight (adding 200 g at a time)
- a knot in the middle of the solder

I'm not going to build a climate chamber for this purpose, and that means, there will be no temperature series experiment!
(But I will make a couple of tests in the smithy. The temperature out there is around 10 C this time of the year).
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

It would be interesting to graph that out in Excel or something like that, with error bars and the like. Sounds geeky but Gonzo would look so good in a white lab coat. 8)
Sir Cumference wrote:into a box cowered with a carpet
A few of my slaves have done that in my presence. Most of the time they cower in plain sight but some are more inventive. :mrgreen:

Typos like that are a gem! :rofl:
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!