yet another Arduino question. .motor compatible? ??

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
kinkycreativeguy

yet another Arduino question. .motor compatible? ??

Post by kinkycreativeguy »

So i recently purchased a kit containing the arduino uno and assorted wires, et al; and am learning how to use, program, all that fun stuff... This little bit of tech has a ton of potential so i figured. .why not??
Among it's everyday vanilla ideas, the amount of things already posted on the forum is quite cool..so..let's see what sorts of fun things to do. .
My question is; being a newbie to this tech..perhaps someone in the know could tell me if this is feasible. ..so, I have a 1.5 HP @100VDC Weslow/United technologies Automotive permanent magnet DC motor that draws 14 Amps...max spin is 4900 RPM...I salvaged this awhile ago for potential future use if possible. .so i am wondering, is the Uno able to "control" the motor? I know the motor is too much for the board directly, but are the two pieces of hardware potentially compatible? Thanks for your time and expertise!!!
Mike
Pervert EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
Sir Cumference

Re: yet another Arduino question. .motor compatible? ??

Post by Sir Cumference »

You need a bit of extra electronics.

A MOSFET or a relay is what you need.

A relay will be good for ON/OFF. A relay board like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-One-1-Channe ... 0566336050
Is a bit on the low side.
(30V and 10A)

A MOSFET on the other hand, can handle an awful lot of power, and will allow you to do PWM speed control of the motor.

It is a beast of a motor! Do you plan to use it for anything sexual?
It can literally tear you apart.
:shock:
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
natq

Post by natq »

You could look for a 20amp or 15amp solidstate relay for that. the SSR will need cooling and you need to check the datasheet/info that it can be controlled with 5volts. The 5V control voltage is also sometimes called "TTL level" or something along the lines of that, as TTL logic is 5V.

But yes, it can be controlled and the SSR will allow for simple ON/OFF control. for speed control you can likely use some big-ish IGBT or MOSFET and PWM to control the speed.
For two directions and speed control to those you need a H-bridge made with suitable IGBT's or MOSFET's to survive the load and currents used.

Some of the simple arduino + mosfet motor control examples online can be adapted for more power by using a significantly beefier MOSFET or IGBT.

And a word of caution, 100V is not a kids voltage anymore, it can kill and it can cause fires. 100V @ 14A is 1400VA and that is quite a lot.
Motors are also shit loads to drive due to being inductive, so it puts extra strain on the control side of things.

Google really is your friend here and you can likely also find ready made interface boards.

EDIT: HA! Sir Cumference beat me to it while I was writing my reply.

But on an additional note, that relay board linked is rated for 10A 12VDC and 10A 28VDC, IT WILL NOT RELIABLY DISCONNECT THE 14A AT 100V MOTOR!
It might simply fail to work after some time, it might fail to disconnect and start arcing (real problem with high voltage and power DC relays, needs special design to avoid it) and if it arcs badly enough it can heat the thing up add cause a fire, even if the chance of that is remote.

EDIT2: God damn Sir, you managed to post at 13:37-clock.
Last edited by natq on 27 Oct 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I would think you would be pushing the "toy" electronics that every one here uses...
That would be like making a remote control for your car, strapping a board to the front bumper...
taking aim and using the car to make a paddling machine...
What are you thinking of using something that big???

Most things around here are 5 to 12 VDC maybe 1 to 2 amp range...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
dsteve

Post by dsteve »

That's a big motor. Are you looking to lift yourself off the ground? If you just want to tighten some straps something much smaller is more appropriate. And more controllable. Anywhere you can buy Arduino you can buy a shield to control a dc motor that maybe runs on a 9 volt battery. Like this one:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1438. I am thinking this would be good to pull 4 ropes tight to get into a spread eagle. The motors I am thinking of would not be strong enough to hold you, but could pull the ropes tight if you were cooperating with them. Would need some sort of ratcheting device to hold them, and more motors to release the ratchet.
Have fun. Hope this helps.