An afternoon in the workshop: Stocks

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
PiJoy

Re: An afternoon in the workshop: Stocks

Post by PiJoy »

Annabel wrote: <snip>

So if I understand this correctly. I want to power a maglock that uses Voltage 12/24v DC 360/180 Current mA

The battery I'm looking at is http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/info_26.html

3300mAh / 360ma would give just over 9 hours of battery time in an ideal world but after taking away factors such as temperature etc it could decrease by as much as 30% give just over 6 hours battery time.

Now this battery is Measured at 660mA discharge which is well above the 360mA requirements so the battery rated discharge rate should not be exceeded.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Annabel,

You're getting closer, and that battery should work. However, I'd like you to understand *why* it's suitable so you'll be safe. So here are a couple clarifications:

If your maglock will nominally take 12 volts, from which it will draw 360 mA, then do NOT try to operate it from 24 volts! If you connected it directly to 24 volts, it would draw 720 mA, NOT 180. More to the point, if connected to 24 volts, it would have FOUR times more power dissipated in it, and that would probably burn it out.

> Max Discharge Current : 30,000mA (30 Amps)

This battery is rated at 30 Amps max discharge, way way more than the 360 mA you need. Having lots of margin is safer and is in general a good idea,

The "Measured at 660mA (0.2C) discharge" means that something (probably the 3300 mAH capacity) was MEASURED with a load (resistance) that drew 660 mA from the battery. 660 mA is not the maximum rated discharge current; they've told us that the battery's max. rated discharge is 30 Amps, or 30,000 mA -- which is a LOT of current!

(0.2 C, if I recall correctly stands for, in this case, "whatever current will discharge this battery from full to empty in 5 (= 1/0.2) hours." Since the 360 mA you need is less than the current draw under which they measured (something, probably nominal capacity), that's another indication that this battery can safely operate your maglock, and do so for several hours.

I strongly suggest that you buy the charger for this battery from the same folks who sell the battery -- a charger the vendor says is suitable for that particular battery. Charging a battery SAFELY involves considerably more than hooking it up to the right voltage (DON'T do that!) IMHO, recharging circuits should be designed by somebody who understands that battery very, very well.

Hope this helps.
lj

Post by lj »

There's a lot of accurate but perhaps over-complicated information being given.

The maglock being rated at 12/24v, current 360/180mA suggests it has two coils, connected either in series or parallel for the different supply voltages.

Series means the coils are connected: +supply to A on coil 1; B on coil 1 connects to A on coil 2; B on coil 2 connects to -supply,

parallel means the coils are connected: +supply connects to A on coil 1 AND A on coil 2; B on coil 1 AND B on coil 2 connect to -supply.

Just stick to 12 volts and wire as directed by the lock manufacturer.

Unless the battery is tiny or not a conventional one, current discharge ability is unlikely to be an issue.

As the use of the battery doesn't require fast charging (as would be the preference for power tools or phones), any NiMH (nickle metal hydride) battery can be "trickle charged" (usually what is known as 1/10 C, so for the 3300mAH battery, less than 330mA) overnight with a cheap "wall-wart" charger, provided it is for 12 volts. It is only when you want fast charging that you need clever chargers.

The lead-acid gel cells are also suitable - these are sealed and can be mounted at any orientation. I have a conventional car-battery charger that is "intelligent" and rated for conventional car batteries and gel cells. It wasn't expensive. Again, you can use a cheap "wall-wart" to trickle charge.

The advice to get the charger from the battery supplier is good. Just don't get sold something expensive that does more than just trickle charge.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

dodgy cheap and counterfeit chargers cause a lot of fires in the home. Fake chargers are an increasing problem.
Always buy a branded name, usually from your battery supplier and never leave a charger, even a good one charging over night or when you are out.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

bounddosster wrote:I find stocks to be very appealing but have never made any as I can't see a way to use them in a selfbondage scenario. I guess they can be made to lock easily with some form of ratchet mechanism but how could you have a timed release ? Any idea anyone?

ps nice workmanship.
I WAS busy at work, making stocks, and too, tried to find a way to use them in self bondage. I made a few, but I think the only ones I can truly trap myself in are where my hands are next to each other, and I have to use handcuffs after locking down the bar, then slipping that free hand in through a hole, slap on the cuffs, then wait for my digital timer method to give me the cuffs key. I tried the magnet thing a while ago, maybe I'll try again once I get a lead on this darn house of mine.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

I love to have some stocks but don't know how to keep them hidden from others in the house.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Shannon SteelSlave

I hid mine behind a beam in the crawl space eves closet in my house.
stocks storage.jpg
But, now that I own the place, I may soon just put them where ever, leave them out, and if anyone finds them, I may tell the truth. "For detaining myself when I need punishment". I once had an idea to claim they were exercise equipment, weight assisted dip harnesses or something.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

bounddosster wrote:I love to have some stocks but don't know how to keep them hidden from others in the house.
Mine are just standing behind the clothes in the wardrobe.

Some toys in a box in the same wardrobe and mixed lube, restraints and cum-towels in drawers next to the bed.
If anybody messes around in our bedroom they deserve to find it.
:mrgreen:
... and the kinds have considered us “weird but nice and very useful” for as long as I remember.
:love:
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Shannon SteelSlave

Sir Cumference wrote:
bounddosster wrote:I love to have some stocks but don't know how to keep them hidden from others in the house.
Mine are just standing behind the clothes in the wardrobe.

Some toys in a box in the same wardrobe and mixed lube, restraints and cum-towels in drawers next to the bed.
If anybody messes around in our bedroom they deserve to find it.
:mrgreen:
... and the kinds have considered us “weird but nice and very useful” for as long as I remember.
:love:
Hey, I was just offering a suggestion, from a time when I gave a darn about what people think. I may decide to decorate the halls of my new house like "Castlevania" the grim reaper stage, with shackles and chains on the walls. Real working, of course, bolted to studs. Not sure if I want to use real human skeletons, or maybe I can draw the line there and just use plastic Halloweeny stuff. Any volunteers to be living models?
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I'd go for somewhere in the ballpark of the Addams Family, with a generous sprinkling of Lady Heather from CSI. :whip:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Shannon SteelSlave

To add some clarification to non-classic gamers, this is the Grim Reaper stage in "Castlevania".
76368-31.png
👠👠