Small electromagnetic lock with additional safety mechanisms

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
tina

Re: Small electromagnetic lock with additional safety mechan

Post by tina »

Hey!

Sorry I missed your reply. Didn't get a notification for some reason.

The chastity belt idea sounds awesome! And definitely doable.

Though like you... I also don't have much free time :(. The cycle suit idea is really cool, too!

I don't even have time to finish the firmware for my electromagnetic lock :(. All the hardware is tested and working, though. Probably should have gone for something simpler.
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

lj wrote:
A safety comment, I'd avoid LiPo batteries unless they are "hard-cell" types, the soft pouch type often used for RC model aircraft can catch fire if damaged (I've seen it happen) and the fire cannot be put out as the combustion reaction is self-supporting.
LiPo batteries look attractive at first sight, but I have done some investigating. It appears that they need very careful charging. A proper LiPo charger is essential otherwise there is a real danger of a fire and they are also dangerous if damaged, like Ij says. They must not discharged below a certain level or they may be rendered useless. It looks as though a release caused by a flat battery will probably destroy the battery. It really sounds as if they should be avoided altogether for this purpose. Bondage and the possibility of a fire does not seem a very good combination.
tina

Post by tina »

Yes, LiPos are very dangerous if used improperly. I would not recommend playing with it if you are not absolutely sure about what you are doing.

I am an electrical engineer and have studied lithium batteries extensively and designed chargers for them.

In my design they are protected by a hard shell (vented), fused, and with over-temperature shutdown. Charging is handled by a dedicated charging chip that implements standard CC/CV charging with thermal regulation.

This is designed to the same safety standard as consumer electronics that use lithium batteries.

There is also an undervoltage lockout in firmware to avoid over-discharging the battery. Battery is never supposed to run out. Battery running out is just a final safety feature (that will destroy the battery, but not cause a fire).
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

I am pleased to hear that you have considered the safety of using LiPos. For anyone else following this thread, please take note.

Regarding a discharge causing a fire - I understand that, normally, it is OK but if you had no fuse and a short circuit I'm not so sure, so I'm pleased to hear that you have one.
Theresajayne

Post by Theresajayne »

I have always fantasized about a high tech electronically locking chastity belt,
I had a thought about making the lock work with a public/private key affair.
and what looks to be a USB Key.

Switch the usage round, USB Key (Male adapter) as the host and the socket (belt) as the slave device.

So imagine your belt has what looks like a charging port on it, and the small key like device has the usb key (or micro usb) plug on it.

The key has a battery and a small amount of ram that is readable by the belt.
The key has the Private Key on it,
The belt has the public key on it.

Plug in the correct key and the belt unlocks

Simple yet clever,

The belt does not need any power source as it uses the Battery in the key to unlock/lock the belt.