Reliable, self-releasing ice lock

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.

Would you be interested in an ice lock like the one described?

Poll ended at 24 Oct 2013, 00:53

Definitely yes
29%
Probably would try it out
57%
Probably not
No votes
Definitely not
14%

Total votes: 7

bobbi

Re: Reliable, self-releasing ice lock

Post by bobbi »

tried one of my expensive metal time locks last night.

ran into a design flaw, thought i would propose it to you to see if it is solvable.

basically, if the force is coming from any direction not ****perfectly**** straight out, the pin binds, therefore not releasing you. see if you can guess how i got free from the photo. when i figured out what was going on i was on hour 4 of 2.5.
IMG_20131021_122945.jpg
it might be solvable with the casing shaped like the right side. of course you cannot expect it to come out if you are putting tension on it from a 45 degree angle away, but i think it should have a slightly better tollerance than like, 2 degrees binds.
marthite

Post by marthite »

I recently came up with a newer, safer design. A rough sketch is attached.

Instead of daisy-chaining multiple devices, there's only one. But in this updated design, there's more than just the outer case and inner stem--there are one (or more) intermediate shells. The advantanges:

1) If any one shell gets stuck, other shells can still slip out when the ice melts.

(this one addresses your problem)
2) Multiple shells means that each layer offers several degrees of freedom. Each additional layer would add a few degrees. If you have 3-4 layers, you might have 8-10 degrees to work with.

Another point addressing your metal device. The stem is about 3x the width. My initial design was about 1.5x depth to width. A shallower depth allows the stem to come out easier.
Attachments
2013-10-23 17.40.21 copy.jpg
marthite

Post by marthite »

Also an update to the 3d printed lock: Acetone vapor treatment.
This melts the surface of the lock and makes the individual layers bond together better. The resultant lock is much stronger, comparable to injected ABS.

And looks nice too.
Attachments
2013-10-23 17.30.50.jpg
2013-10-23 17.30.17.jpg
tekoma

Post by tekoma »

Your printed Lock looks really good. And you are right, it doesnt have to be round to make it work and even be safe.
Have you checked how much weight is possible to hang on it, without destroing your device ?
blowmymind

Post by blowmymind »

Hey, I just wanted to share a PERFECT design of an icelock that I have done YET. You take two pieces of chain and freeze them in a bottle that has a bottleneck. Can't go wrong... And a 150ml drug bottle (something like this http://jiachengeoe.en.ecplaza.net/2.jpg ) holds it for about an hour. It never stucks, because there is enough space for both chains to come out of it, and I've hung a 5 kilogram weight on it, nothing bad happened.. You can even use a 500ml plastic coke bottle for much longer times than 1 hour.
ice.jpg
ice.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 1574 times